Alternator for 2.0E GT/E

Hi all,

I need a new alternator for my GT/E at the moment as the current one is low on voltage.  I'm surprised how hard these are to find compared to other versions - does anyone know of a good supplier in the UK?

There seem to be different ratings too  -  I've seen 45, 55 and 65 A.  Anyone know what's normal for a standard GT/E, and if there's any detrimental result in using a higher rating?

Thanks and best regards

Stuart

Have you already tried to change the voltage-regulator on back of the alternator?

If the bruches are worn they give the same problem, and it is an easy job to fix it yourself.

Hi H-400,

Oh, I didn't know that was even an option  -  I'll have a look.   It was a reconditioned alternator that I fitted a couple of years back so it's not old by any means - the voltage was low right from the very start so I suspect it's more likely to be the regulator than the brushes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Best regards

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out that it's not the alternator, or the voltage regulator, at fault.  Just over 14 volts measured directly there, but only 11.9 volts getting back to the battery.

Ho hum.

If you still have the braided earth lead on the battery consider cleaning connections at both ends and changing as they tend to corrode in the weave.  Same goes for the engine earth strap

Putting a jump lead from the engine mount (on the engine) to the battery and -ve checking voltage will help diagnose earth strap problems

Do not forget that a second jump lead from alternator case can be used to test if it is the weedy alternator earth wire (they fray around the eye) causing the problem.

On my car I added an earth wire from battery negative earth lead mount on the body direct to engine years ago.

Edited by mantadoc

Hi mantadoc,

The braided earth lead and engine earth strap were both replaced quite recently.

When I measured the voltage between the +ve terminal of the Alternator and the -ve terminal of the battery (or indeed anywhere else earthed) I got the full reading of just over 14...  so it did seem to me that the loss might be occurring somewhere on the +ve side rather than the earth.  I'll try what you've suggested above to see if anything pops up...

Best regards

Stuart

So the alternator is putting out 14v but you are only seeing 11.9v at the battery. So it could be the power lead from alternator to battery, dirty power terminal on battery or a faulty battery. A dead or dying cell in the battery will suck the power from the system very quickly.

On Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at 10:00, 74009 said:

Hi all,

I need a new alternator for my GT/E at the moment as the current one is low on voltage.  I'm surprised how hard these are to find compared to other versions - does anyone know of a good supplier in the UK?

There seem to be different ratings too  -  I've seen 45, 55 and 65 A.  Anyone know what's normal for a standard GT/E, and if there's any detrimental result in using a higher rating?

Thanks and best regards

Stuart

I had the same problem last year and then found a very reasonably priced one at a motor parts shop in Lincoln. I'm away in Blackburn tonight but will dig out the details for you when I get home tomorrow.