Speedo sticking ?? 2.0 GTE

happypatrol

Hi All, I'm looking to see if anyone has any ideas on this.  Ive got a 2.0 GTE coupe B series.  The car doesn't get out much but drives great.  Unfortunately the speedo has just started playing up and is intermittently sticking at maybe 40mph even when the car isn't moving.  Then it doesn't seem to be reading the correct speed either.  I know the car from the rpms and it just isn't right.  

Before i go poking around i wondered if anyone has any tips, maybe a cable or something but I'm not sure where to start.  Any help appreciated.

57 minutes ago, 400PEL said:

Hi ,start with the speedo cable,take it off and check for damage. Try the internal cable is free and turning  both ends.

Ok ill do that.  I just found it strange it went up and then stayed there. Would it expect it to work or not work if you know what i mean.  Ill disconnect both ends and have a look.  Just need a dry day.....

Just now, garymanc said:

the drive in the gearbox maybe gummed up , easy enough to remove and clean

Gives me a couple of ideas of things to check.  To be fair the gearbox hasn't been touched in about 20 years. So it could be something simple. I hope.

Cheers

• Like 1

The cable drives a magnet in the speedo which the needle reacts to .via a close coupled ring/ cup . Hard to explain.therefore the needle will only rise when the input is spinning via the cable. If there was any problem with the cable or drive then you would get either an intermittent drive or a fluctuating reading. Because your needle is staying stuck at a point it suggests the needle or associated mechsnism is sticking. This means remove dash cover over instruments,remove heater knobs ,dash surround and then the instrument fscia.this will reveal the innards. The speedo is held in from the front luckily with two screws. Undo these and it will lift out.then its a case of seeing whats sticking,touching and why. Be carefull not to alter any spring tension or position of needle on shaft. 

• Like 1

I was thinking that if it was a cable issue it would at least be a consistent problem.

Is there anywhere that can repair such instruments on these cars.  Ive had my digital dash repaired on my mk1 Audi TT when the pixels went but i don't know if they would touch something like this being so old now.....

I would imagine there are places that refurb them but the fix may be easier than you think.if this wasnt happening before and has only strted happening after car not used much then  it may well 'fix itself' .removing the speedo head is very easy if you need to as its all done from the front.you may well find whats touching or sticking and maybee moving the needle up and down a few times will clear it. There will also be many on here with a spare speedo for you as its not a common fault.if you get a replacement just make sure the 'w' number on the face is the same. You may even find one with as near as poss the right mileage reading on it too !

• 4 weeks later...