manifold bolt sizes and thread type

outsider

do you need the hex head ones or the normal bolt head type? as im sure i have a full set of the normal bolt head type as im using all hex in mine. I can have a look at the weekend for you.

Are you just up the road from me Lee? im in Bournemouth.

Andy

Hey, thanks guys, im trying to fit an aftermarket manifold, however the original bolts have captivated , these are catching on the manifold, 

Tried allfix, screwfix, thread and pipe, no joy, however i could get m9 flywheel corsa bolts ( hex) on ebay or its a dremmel job and cut off the captivated washers and put on smaller spring washers

These are the ones you want Lee. 

https://www.edelschmiede.com/shop/Set-of-6-M9-hexagon-socket-bolt-sets-intake-exhaust-manifold-Opel-4-cylinder-cih

then cut off part of an Allen key and use an 8mm ring spanner on the alen key to get them in, i bit of a fiddle but they go on great. I have the same problem with twin carbs and i use the same setup now with the throttle bodies.

I can take a pic of mine if you want?

Andy

concur..used on 3 litre engines....makes it easier to fit and remove compared to hex heads...I use ball ended allen keys with a 3/8 drive rachet/extensions (fuel injected engine)

ps great opel parts website 611...

14 hours ago, GTEPETE said:

concur..used on 3 litre engines....makes it easier to fit and remove compared to hex heads...I use ball ended allen keys with a 3/8 drive rachet/extensions (fuel injected engine)

ps great opel parts website 611...

He does have some nice parts on there. You could end up spending quite a bit of money with him. He is also super helpful if you have any questions about parts.

6 hours ago, outsider said:

Ordered them yesterday, great site, tempted to order the windscreen washer kit, but at 29.99 euros, its a fair crack for some tube, t's and jets

Im tempted by quite a few bits every time i look on his site :-) I did buy one of the washer kits last time i was buying a few bits!

Oh dear, bolts have arrived, well they dont look like the pic, they have the same captivated bolts as the original bolts, other than being a hex head there completely the same, this is just my luck at the moment, looks like im going to have to dremel each one, not an easy task when the washers are 3mm thick, 

The should have a much smaller washer, only just bigger than the hex head? like this pic. What do the ones you have look like?

If they are not right i would email Thomas (if you got them from the edelschmiede site?) if your stuck and need some quick PM me your address and i will pop some in the post as my engine is in bits while i fit the new clutch which is probably going to take a while! so your welcome to have mine while you get the right ones.

Let me know if you do want them.

Andy

set-of-6-m9-hexagon-socket-bolt-sets-intake-exhaust-manifold-opel-4-cylinder-cih.jpg

Hi andy, the ones i got from him are as the originals were, not like the picture, they have a captive washer that is atvleast 3mm thick if not 4mm, and are 3mm wider than the bolt, to cut them off would be a complete nightmare of a job, and i cannot see how youw would not ruin the bolt, i will email him and see what he says

Thanks for the pic, i thought it was me, but your pic shows the ones i wanted

Lee

Hi andy, 

Just found out by looking at the web page, they have sent the wrong ones, so ive emailed them

Invoice states 850789-s6

What i have is 850789-s4-2

I await there response, hopefully i can get i sorted quickly, this sort of thing tends to happen to me rather alot

Lee

Hey Lee

Thomas is really helpful so im sure he will sort it out quickly, but if it does take a while you are welcome to have mine and then send me the right ones when you get them, as mine's not going far for a while :-)

Andy

IMG_20170311_162645.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi andy, 

Update on bolts, 

Sent a message to the firm in germany, told them that i thought i had the wrong bolts, that they had the captivated washers like the originals

Did not get a reply, so about 5 days later i messaged again, 2 days later i got a reply saying that they could nt see a problem with the order, so i messaged him back, explained it all again, then told him to look at his pictures on his web site and see that the bolts have small washers

A week later i get a message saying there working on it, 3 days after that they asked for pics of the bolts i have on the manifold, so did this, 

A few more days and got a message saying that there engineer has said these are the ones they make, they do no others, again i said that you had some bolts in your possession that had small washers on them and there pictures on the web site show small washers, 

I had no replys since, so i gave in as i want to get the car done, so i carefully cut the washers off and used small spring washers instead

Got some aluminium master cylinder adapters made up to fit a remote reservoir in place, they turned up, really nice except one part was not machined down so would nt go in the master cylinder, ended up putting them in a drill that was held in a vice, then slowly milled them down to the correct size, 

Its been a nightmare, i eventually got everything manifold wise on the car, went to start the car, it turned a few times and seized up solid, this must have been caused by the powder from the fire extinguisher getting in, so a squirt of oil down each plug hole and wd40, 10 minutes later it was turning, new plugs and a service and its now at least running, its now got to burn the last of the oil off but its getting there, 

Thanks for all your help andy, just glad i did nt take you up on your offer of lending bolts, that would have been awkward, haha

Lee

23 hours ago, outsider said:

Hi andy, 

Update on bolts, 

Sent a message to the firm in germany, told them that i thought i had the wrong bolts, that they had the captivated washers like the originals

Did not get a reply, so about 5 days later i messaged again, 2 days later i got a reply saying that they could nt see a problem with the order, so i messaged him back, explained it all again, then told him to look at his pictures on his web site and see that the bolts have small washers

A week later i get a message saying there working on it, 3 days after that they asked for pics of the bolts i have on the manifold, so did this, 

A few more days and got a message saying that there engineer has said these are the ones they make, they do no others, again i said that you had some bolts in your possession that had small washers on them and there pictures on the web site show small washers, 

I had no replys since, so i gave in as i want to get the car done, so i carefully cut the washers off and used small spring washers instead

Got some aluminium master cylinder adapters made up to fit a remote reservoir in place, they turned up, really nice except one part was not machined down so would nt go in the master cylinder, ended up putting them in a drill that was held in a vice, then slowly milled them down to the correct size, 

Its been a nightmare, i eventually got everything manifold wise on the car, went to start the car, it turned a few times and seized up solid, this must have been caused by the powder from the fire extinguisher getting in, so a squirt of oil down each plug hole and wd40, 10 minutes later it was turning, new plugs and a service and its now at least running, its now got to burn the last of the oil off but its getting there, 

Thanks for all your help andy, just glad i did nt take you up on your offer of lending bolts, that would have been awkward, haha

Lee

Lee, that all sounds like a bit of a nightmare and im surprised Thomas wasn't more helpful, he usually is. It's a shame to hear he didn't get back to you. Still good to see you have it all sorted (which is more than i can say for mine!!) did you take any pics of the master cylinder setup? would be interesting to see and maybe helpful for others.

Still glad its all up and running now :-)

Andy