Mcrae stages 2006 ascona and manta

I just popped in an old cd  tonight that I haven't looked at in years , found some pics I would like to share. I am certain some of you will recognise the cars. I remember speaking to the manta owner , I am sure he came from Lanarkshire. I got some pics of the great man himself Colin. I hope you enjoy them. Don't think I will get them all on in one go.

mcrae rally and artgarten 010.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 009.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 014.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 013.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 012.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 015.jpg

the next lot!

mcrae rally and artgarten 021.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 025.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 024.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 018.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 022.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 023.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 026.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 027.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 028.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 032.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 034.jpg

My wife just asked me if I am allowed to upload these pics? Sorry if I shouldn't have.

mcrae rally and artgarten 035.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 036.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 037.jpg

mcrae rally and artgarten 039.jpg

• Like 7

great pictures i was talking to the asconas owner last weekend at race retro steve magson he told me one of the reason why he sold this was the back axles kept breaking and the last axle he had bought was £6000 he had tried to persade the MSA to accept the atlas axle as a cheaper replacement in the historic class but they wouldnt have any of it at the time. 

I remember speaking to the guy in 2006 , the ascona was on its first rally after rebuild. The paint wasn't quiet tacky , but it was on the car just in time to do the mcrae. It looked mint as the pictures suggest. I was so pleased to see one in the flesh that weekend.

The mk1 that Colin had got a loan of never made it through stage 1 , con rod went through the block during the stage. The pics I took were on the way up to the stage start. They were already blasting along the Forrest roads on the way to stage start. Alister came past us first and just pulled up in the middle of the road, then we could hear another car coming through the forrest at full chat , which turned out to be colin in the mark1. He dropped down off the road into the fire brake to pass Alister and pulled up in front of Alister . It was a pretty surreal moment as Colin jumped out fully pumped up and on top form having a right laugh and a joke , literally took a pi.. They were having a right lads day out, having fun. It s a very fond  memory I have of the Legend.

Edited by GerryC400

• 1 month later...