side draught weber/ brake master cylinder

outsider

Hi, 

I will start this by saying that i had a small engine fire, i had dellorto carbs that faced upwards, ive now bought a single twin 45 weber on a manifold, but you guessed it, its touching the master cylinder, so can anyone point me in the right direction regarding what to do with the master cylinder and reservoir please, i looked at the possibility of a remote reservoir but cannot find anything that will fit the standard master cylinder, 

Thanks in advance

Lee

Hey Lee

Lots of options like moving the servo to the front of the car with an extended rod.

But i did something like the below on my A series when i was running twin carbs. I had two little adapters made to the same shape as the reservoir bits that fit into the master cylinder and then used some Goodridge fittings. It worked great.

I also got a smaller servo and master cylinder off a newer car as that saved a bit of space and it still had the same stopping power as the old A series servo and master cylinder.

Andy

d6961b5200eb14361b5193a57b5daa.jpg

Edited by 611

15 hours ago, 611 said:

moving the servo to the front of the car with an extended rod

I never understand why people drive a car with a collapsible steering column, then do this and basically have a spear pointing at their chest ready to be knocked back in an accident

You could equally well add a piece of steel on the pedal at 90 degrees so as you press the pedal it is capable or moving a rod vertically and use either a vertically mounted cylinder or similar arrangement

You used to be able to get remote reservoir kits form Demon Tweeks

1 hour ago, mantadoc said:

I never understand why people drive a car with a collapsible steering column, then do this and basically have a spear pointing at their chest ready to be knocked back in an accident

You could equally well add a piece of steel on the pedal at 90 degrees so as you press the pedal it is capable or moving a rod vertically and use either a vertically mounted cylinder or similar arrangement

You used to be able to get remote reservoir kits form Demon Tweeks

I know what you mean, not something i have ever felt the need to do, i have always gone for the remote option. I think the Nova had something like you are describing and had the bar mounted under the dash and the servo and master cylinder was where it would be on a left hand drive car. Alway an idea i liked but seemed like it could turn into a bit of a fiddle getting it setup if you had to make it all yourself. I think a lot of places in the US do the remote kits.

Andy

Never thought of that way of doing it before, interesting idea. Wouldnt you need a master cylinder with a bleed nipple on the end to get any air out if you were facing that way? still going to need remote reservoirs with that setup?

Andy

On 26/02/2017 at 22:04, 611 said:

Hey Lee

Lots of options like moving the servo to the front of the car with an extended rod.

But i did something like the below on my A series when i was running twin carbs. I had two little adapters made to the same shape as the reservoir bits that fit into the master cylinder and then used some Goodridge fittings. It worked great.

I also got a smaller servo and master cylinder off a newer car as that saved a bit of space and it still had the same stopping power as the old A series servo and master cylinder.

Andy

d6961b5200eb14361b5193a57b5daa.jpg

Hi andy, 

I did think about this except i was going to use tubes about 3-4 inches high, but yours look great, what size centres did you use, im going to take the old reservoir to a few fabrication places and see if anyone can make something up similar to yours, i have a single set of 40's on a manifold, it clears most of the master cylinder, ultimately im pretty sure i will have to get my dellortos rebuilt, but with the damage thats been done with the fire im not sure i trust them anymore

Thanks andy

Lee

22 hours ago, mantadoc said:

You just need something like the third bit of white plastic from the top

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/brake-master-cylinders-reservoirs/tilton-74-series-master-cylinder-kit

If lee is using the standard master cylinder he won't be able to seal that type of fitting on the inlets as you need quite a bit hight on the inlet and a flat face to fit those plastic adaptors on and it needs the rubber seal.

23 hours ago, outsider said:

Hi andy, 

I did think about this except i was going to use tubes about 3-4 inches high, but yours look great, what size centres did you use, im going to take the old reservoir to a few fabrication places and see if anyone can make something up similar to yours, i have a single set of 40's on a manifold, it clears most of the master cylinder, ultimately im pretty sure i will have to get my dellortos rebuilt, but with the damage thats been done with the fire im not sure i trust them anymore

Thanks andy

Lee

Hi Lee, remember that you need to get as much clearance from the bottom of the carb to the top of the master cylinder as the engine kicks that way and you can fint that even if you have an inch clearance the engine movement can make the engine twist that way and knock the carbs on the top of the cylinder. It was a long time ago i did mine and done have it to measure as im running a servo-less setup on the new engine so the cylinders sit much further back and clear much easier. (see below)

what i did was take the master cylinder up to these guys http://www.threadandpipe.com/ as they have lots of hydraulic fittings to measure up what the biggest fitting i could get away with was. You could probably use a 90-degree one http://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/brass-90-deg-elbow-18-bspt-x-38-10mm-brass-hose-tail-fitting-1793-p.asp and depending on the fitting either have a tapered thread or if the fitting has a flange use an O ring to seal. The hard part if finding a nice engineering place that will knock you up the adaptors without charging you a fortune :-) It worked perfect on my twin carb setup and it even sealed so well that i could even run the master cylinder at an angle or upside down if i wanted to :-) I hope some of this helps? and keep us updated with progress.

Andy

IMG_20170218_165708.jpg

13 hours ago, 611 said:

If lee is using the standard master cylinder he won't be able to seal that type of fitting on the inlets as you need quite a bit hight on the inlet and a flat face to fit those plastic adaptors on and it needs the rubber seal.

They used to do various types, it's worth a phone call

Crazy idea, re-drill the servo holes in the bulkhead rotated 45 degrees towards the inner wing, then heat the (empty) master cylinder bottom with a hot air gun till soft and bend it upright.

Just made that up, no idea if viable

22 minutes ago, mantadoc said:

They used to do various types, it's worth a phone call

Crazy idea, re-drill the servo holes in the bulkhead rotated 45 degrees towards the inner wing, then heat the (empty) master cylinder bottom with a hot air gun till soft and bend it upright.

Just made that up, no idea if viable

You almost want to rotate it 45 degrees and then have a little 90 degrees adapter to screw on where the cap is so the fill inlet is pointing up, that would be a real easy way to do it :-) i ran one upside down with the take offs fitted and a remote reservoir that worked pretty good. A bugger to bleed to start with as it didnt have the bleed valve in the end, but good once sorted. Seems like lots of ways to do it when you start to think about it :-)

My A-series has a remote reservoir sitting on the inner wing, it's from a jaguar of some sort. The master cylinder has 2 plastic push-in 90deg fittings, and the standard rubber seals. I don't know what the fittings are off though.

I think I read on here somewhere that some flavour of Renault Megane (??) had a remote reservoir setup, the fittings from which could be used?

Lee

If you do need any remote reservoirs let me know as i have a whole bunch of them up in the loft that im never going ti use so if you can put them to use they are yours for free.

I have a few small ones and a couple of large ones.

Andy

Hi guys, thanks for all the info thats been provided and suggestions, 

Next week im hoping to get some parts made up to fit a remote reservoir, and on your suggestions i may rotate the servo, 

Again thanks for all your help, sometimes it takes other people to point out things i would nt of thought of

Lee

Hey Lee

Im glad all the advice has helped, this is what the club is for and why its worth the membership as someone will always have been through the same thing you are going through and will have had to try and figure it out!

That's why i set up my blog as well, to record all the bits i have done just in case someone else is looking to do the same thing or similar.

I hope it al goes to plan and shout if you want those remote reservoirs.

Andy