1.8S crankshaft pulley timing notch

doubl3t

good morning mates,

i'm looking for the crankshaft pulley timing notch/pointer on my manta b 1.8S engine.

couldn't find the mark on the oil pump housing (as shown in the hayens owners workshop manual).

i got confused because in the gates belts drawings the crankshaft pulley timing notch is in 6 o'clock of the 1.8s engine block..  (link)

can u help me by sorting it out? i'll be much appreciated.

Think also it is a redtop, found this picture on the net and used it cause it is so clearly. The 1.8S  and 2.0i (redtop, C20NE...)

have the same block and the same needle.

This is a scan of a workshop manual:

Scan_zpskvhxchev.png

I had once a 1.8S Manta and I remember it had a needle to check the timing.

Grts!

Take the alternator belt off then, the the pulley.

This leaves you with the crank pulley itself.

This has a notch in that corresponds to a cut out in the oil pump. Or cover. Can't remember which.

The crank pulley notch will be pointing at around six o clock to line everything up.

sry for the delay..

the needle is located on the oil pump housing, but seems like the last owner replaced it with a GM oil pump which doesnt have the needle. 

however, i found the crank pully notch, the cut out in the oil pump and also another mark located on the lower side of the timing cover, which confirms the location of the needle:

osb9si.jpg

thnx for both, much appreciated. 

4 hours ago, doubl3t said:

sry for the delay..

the needle is located on the oil pump housing, but seems like the last owner replaced it with a GM oil pump which doesnt have the needle. 

however, i found the crank pully notch, the cut out in the oil pump and also another mark located on the lower side of the timing cover, which confirms the location of the needle:

osb9si.jpg

thnx for both, much appreciated. 

The crank pulley notch should be pointing straight down (six o clock). Don't try and align the crank pulley to the alternator pulley notch.