Flywheel cih

yeti132

Could anyone tell me if a 1600 flywheel should fit a 2.4 frontera a friend is putting a 2.4 frontera into his manta A  is old engine is a 1600 he as brought a 2ltr gte box to go with the 2.4 Cih so we need to no which is the best flywheel and clutch to use any help would be appreciated he as also just brought a prop off a auto manta b to go with the box angina engine 

The flywheel size will be the same physical size if its a 1.6, 2.0 or 2.4 but the actual clutch on the 1.6 will only be an 8" 4 bolt which the 2.4 will just tear up. You need at least a Monza flywheel that will take a 9" 4 bolt but ideally a 6 bolt clutch. lamchop77 is your man for clutch info. What power are you looking at?

Im just about to drop my engine and remove a brand new 9" clutch and monza flywheel as i have bought an S10 clutch kit from Opel GT Source in the US. It uses a machined monza flywheel that has been drilled to take the Chevy S10 as im going for being on the safe side as mine is running a bit of a different setup than just the standard injection on it.

A couple of pics here.

First off the standard Monza flywheel and 9"

then the Monza flywheel machined flat and dowelled to take the S10 kit.

and if you have a few spare hours lots of reading here 240420121441.jpg

240420121444.jpg

S10 setup

IMG_20161211_154306.jpg

IMG_20161211_154313.jpg

IMG_20161211_154303.jpg

hope some of this helps. I also have the Frontera manual if you need any sections on the 2.4 copied.

Andy

I think you are over egging the powerband torque a bit there after all a standard frontera lump on its own injection is only a 123bhp

we out a senator engine in a Manta so out 180bhp through a GTE clutch and that lasted 10k miles but an uprated GTE one lasted forever 

lots easier to get an uorated GTE clutch than a manual Monza flywheel

Well i destroyed a 2.2 LUK clutch in about 10 miles, mind you i was giving it plenty of grief. My 2.0 at 160 ish bhp was on a GTE clutch and was ok. I've not found an uprated GTE clutch anywhere when i've asked around, non of the places i deal with list one.

Basically whatever you do you need a modded flywheel. Calibra turbo non pot type on a modded GTE flywheel will probably do the trick, if i'm right its a beefed up redtop/1.8 style clutch, needs the 2.5mm (ish) recess and 7mm bolts but its a six bolt arrangement. 228mm dia.

I have helix cerametallic rally clutches on my motors, 2.5 will be a 7 1/2" (i think!!) quartermaster rally spec clutch. Helix do an organic frition plate so would be ok for road but still need to sort out modding the flywheel.

S10 kit Andy has looks pretty good, have you got the parts numbers for that Andy? Looks as if its from opel gt source as well. How much was it for the kit with imports, etc and have you got contact details?

Chris

I dont think there is any difference between the 1.6 sump and the 2ltr, i might be wrong but thought they were all the same. You will need to sort the dipstick out on the 2.4 as the original dipstick hole is further back so you need to have a hole drilled in the same location as the 1.6 block, you also ned the oil pickup from the 1.6 or 2 ltr (again i think they are the same?) as the Frontera one won't fit. You might also need to look at the thermostat housing as the head on the 2.4 is not the same inlet as the 1.6/2ltr you can but an adapted one to fit the 2.4 

http://www.risse-motorsport.de/product_info.php/info/p2406_Thermostat-casing-2-2-2-4-CIH.html

I ran a 2.1 with an uprated standard clutch with about 150bhp and never had any issues, but the 2.4 had way more torque so like Chris says there is far more chance of the 2.4 killing the clutch and when you have that 5 speed in there its not a quick job to drop the box and change the clutch.

Andy

11 hours ago, lamchop77 said:

Well i destroyed a 2.2 LUK clutch in about 10 miles, mind you i was giving it plenty of grief. My 2.0 at 160 ish bhp was on a GTE clutch and was ok. I've not found an uprated GTE clutch anywhere when i've asked around, non of the places i deal with list one.

Basically whatever you do you need a modded flywheel. Calibra turbo non pot type on a modded GTE flywheel will probably do the trick, if i'm right its a beefed up redtop/1.8 style clutch, needs the 2.5mm (ish) recess and 7mm bolts but its a six bolt arrangement. 228mm dia.

I have helix cerametallic rally clutches on my motors, 2.5 will be a 7 1/2" (i think!!) quartermaster rally spec clutch. Helix do an organic frition plate so would be ok for road but still need to sort out modding the flywheel.

S10 kit Andy has looks pretty good, have you got the parts numbers for that Andy? Looks as if its from opel gt source as well. How much was it for the kit with imports, etc and have you got contact details?

Chris

Hi Chris

Nic on here was kind enough to bring it over for me so no duty just the cost of the kit and it is from Opel GT.

http://www.opelgtsource.com/store/gt/clutch/CIH-9.html

I think its just the monza flywheel machine flat, drilled for the dowels etc.. and then the S10 cover and plate you can just by from Autozone in the US and other places so it might be worth getting the cover and plate from the US and having a flywheel sorted out over here as when i looked into it originally it was more for the shipping that the flywheel and clutch! I will get a pic from the autozone receipt and the box so you can track down the one needed as Nic said there were two type and the part number was the identifier. I should be able to do that tomorrow or saturday and will drop you a message. Im going for the better safe than sorry with mine as hope to be up in the 180 bhp when fully running with the Alpha throttle bodies and ENEM cam all setup.

Andy

Edited by 611

5 hours ago, yeti132 said:

611 will you be selling the Monza flywheel and clutch when you take them out the car 

Yep, i hope to get out this weekend and start to disconnect everything and then next weekend i hope to drop the whole front suspension and box and get the clutch and flywheel off. When i have i will take some pics and drop you a message if you're interested in it. I need to look back and see what i bought them both for as i will sell them for what i paid for them.

Andy

This is my 2.4, with 6-cilinder flywheel and 9 inch clutch. No problems!

The 2.0E clutch couldn't handle it.

P1010203.jpg

This is the engine of my 400, hard to see but with original the same flywheel and 9 inch clutch with also 4 bolt. 

The engine has got 182Hp and no problems

IMG_0029_zps0lezp2p0.jpg

• Like 1

My 2.4 has a 2.2 flywheel and the clutch is original 2.2 which is 9". Pretty sure someone told me it was the same as a Monza one. My flywheel was a bit scored so I had 3mm skimmed off it as well which served to lighten it slightly too. The clutch has never slipped so far!

• 2 weeks later...