2.0 CIH on carbs

D85CGV

I've seen a few topics on here with regards to converting the 2.0 cih engine to carbs. There seems to be various options and ways of doing it. I just wanted to throw another one into the mix to find out if anyone had any experience of this type. I found a video on YouTube of a 2.0 GT/E running twin dellorto 45s. I would assume others have done it as well. If so I'd like to hear how you find it and how easy a conversion it is.

Cheers Davy 

I did the rebuild more than 20 years ago. Think my daughter was just starting to walk so it was 1993...

This picture will prove it is possible to keep the original thermostatic house with the DCOE carbs:

scannen0001-2_zps9a034406.jpg

The air-filter was "stolen" from a VW-Golf Diesel.

The engine had a nice sound but not that more power than I expected, the idle was a lot better after using those multi-spark plugs.

I remember I fixed the synchronise-screw between the two carbs so I had not that much work to tune them after some time.

Thanks for the replies lads. @spiney_norman that's was a point that I was wondering about. I knew the DCOE carbs necessitated modification or movement of the brake servo assembly. I had hoped that a different carb set up might fit with out a mod. When I get to that stage of my restoration I'll work out what I want to do but chances are I'll just stick with fuel injection. I wasn't really looking for performance gains. It was more just for a nice sound. Hopefully I'll be able to get an exhaust made that will give me the sound I'm after or close enough anyway.

There are ways around the brake reservoir / rear trumpet fouling issue, The Green exclusive of many years back solved this by using a remote brake fluid reservoir from a Renault Megan coupe mounted infront of the damper turret.

A very different option would be what i saw done to an A seriers in the Netherlands, using two Manta throatle valves and an airflow meter of a BMW 6 series -

Holland 2015 Manta A blue & yellow 3 BMW 3.5 airflow meter.jpg

When i saw this i wondered if it was possible to place the throatle valves on the other side of the plenum and have the intake tracts over the engine in the same manner as a 24 valve ?

The new plenum intake tracts / bosses were alloy welded on ( the original hole blanked off ) and the faces machined flat in one pass to ensure both aligned, there is one special long spindle through both throatle valves, it is 2L and uses an original ECU and various normal tuning mods ( cam, Fueling etc ) and makes about 160 bhp !

That's quite something if it's a 2.0 litre. When you get to 150 brake that seems to be just about the limit of what it will produce. Just shows you what can be done with a bit of ingenuity. I like the idea of using a remote reservoir. Presumably the servo itself doesn't get in the road of the rear trumpet.

Found years ago a set Sprint twin carbs, couldn't resist cause they were cheap.

After installing I noticed I couldn't close the bonnet, even without airfilter...

So I took a test-drive without bonnet and the carbs moved to the garage on a shelf eating dust.

On a LHD "400" with DCOE carbs you will find the same problem with the brake-master cilinder, but the manifold is chaped as a 

"swan-neck" and the brake-oil reservoirs are replaced to the left:

scannen0006_zpshnyj9n1d.jpg

Edited by H-400

Are dgas carbs the ones that were fitted to the 1.8 engine. It sounds familiar. Regarding movement of servos etc I read somewhere that remotely mounted twin BMW servos do the trick down at the front near side of the bonnet. The master cylinder it's self remained in the same are but was positioned slightly differently using a bracket. That being said, this was on a car converted to a 16 valve engine so whether or not this would work on a CIH would remain to be seen.