Cams for cih

yeti132

Yep, as Nick said all the cams fit. How are you looking to use the engine, fast road,track, etc.

The reason i ask is that most cams are listed for 2.0 CIH. The bigger capacity CIH motors soak up duration so a fast rd spec cam for a 2.0 will be a mild rd spec in a 2.2 and probably like a std cam in a 2.4. So you can go a bit wilder on the cam spec UNLESS the cam is specified as a fast road for a 2.4.

HTH

Chris 

• Like 1

Depending on what you are doing with the 2.4 (cabs, injection?) and what state it is in? The 2.4 can get a bit expensive (different inlets, thermostat housing etc..)  and if its not rebuilt already the pistons scuff the bores on higher milage ones and are quite expensive to replace (as i found out!) so unless its all built up i would be inclined to go with a tuned 2ltr. Cheaper to build and probably easier to get parts for.

More bottom end so im told from the 2.4 but does not rev as high as the 2.0

Just my thoughts.

Andy

One thing to beware of is the front bearing oil way, perhaps this only applies to 1.6L CIH but one type of cam has a plain cam bearing with an oil groove around the bearing shell, the other type has a plain bearing shell and an oil groove around the cam bearing, put a plain cam into a plain bearing shell and no oil gets long the head.

Well you can get the 2.4's to rev, up to 8800, yep its a bit pricey but well worth it!!! As Andy says the 2.4 can be expensive as you do need to change quite a few parts to achieve good gains.

How much are you looking to spend and what are the motors like?

PM me if you want, saves everyone reading my same old scrawlings again!!!!

Chris

I have a 2.4 CIH in my Manta-B, with original LE injection, feul pressure regulator L injection. Nothing else 

changed. The head is yet a 2.0 CIH, had a flowed head but cause of the high compression and the unleaded feul 

I had to change it. 

The rods are balanced as the cranckshaft and it can have some revs, but the nice thing is the torque...

I own also an original 400 with 182Hp (not that much...) but the 2.4 8valve has got more power in the low rev's!

If you have an Omega/Frontera engine: check the pistons, and change them with quality ones.