Cavalier Coupe - replacement front wing has smaller arch lip

Rob36

Hi all. Just wondeing if anyone else has encountered this. I have a '78 Cavalier Coupe. Ive sourced a replacement front NS wing for it, as the current one has had a repair and old filler is expanding along the top edge. The new wing is also from a Cavalier, but the lip on the wheel arch is smaller - too narrow in fact for me to rivet the chrome arch trim to it! has anyone else had this problem? Any clever ways around it? Id prefer not to start cutting the two wings up to make one good one if I can help it...

Thanks in advance guys!

Would you  happen to know if it is pattern wing, or not?,  After I typed that question I went down to my garage to measure the spare wings that I have, one has a lip of 2cm, but the other is barely 1cm, not only is it a smaller lip but it isn't flat, it has a slight curve in it, so I don't see how the chrome arch trim could be riveted to that, as is what the problem you have.  Someone will come up with the reason by the end of the day!!!

Edited by Julian

Im not 100% sure if its a pattern wing or an original. I picked it up off ebay recently - I'd assumed it was. Yeah, the lip on this one is just over 1cm, but it curls up a bit at the edge - quite prominently so at the topmost part of the arch. The one currently on my car doesnt do that, and from memory is more like 2cm like you say yours are.

2 hours ago, spiney_norman said:

I guess it's possible that the later cars or early L spec Cavaliers without chrome trim had a smaller lip? I'll have a look at my wings and report back...

Oh!!! you got wings have you, I thought that with all that hair you was an animal, not a bird!.. Hwyl Fawr.

• Like 1

Original wings had a seperate section at the front /top where it Bolts to the inner wing.pattern wings didnt .they were all one piece. Hard to describe thou but you will see what i mean if you open bonnet and look near front bolt. As regards the lip i know exactly what you mean.the lip is very thin and almost rolled in appearance. Some are worse than others .not a problem on base models but fitting the arch trim can be done.carefully re drilling trim if necesarry. 

Just checked on my coupe. The near side wing is original Cav, still got the chrome trim on the arch. The off side wing came from a C reg 1.8 Berlinetta and definitely has a smaller lip with a bit of a curve on it. I reckon the arch trim probably would go on with a bit of a fiddle, hope that helps!

Thanks for the input guys! Looking at the replacement wing I have, it is indeed an original (thanks for the info on that Cam-in-head!) and is from a base model - its got a pin stripe rather than rub strips, and no arch trim of course. Im pleased its original though! Hopefully the arch trim will swap over ok with some careful drilling. The car is packed away for the winter, but I might make a start on the wing shortly, time allowing. - Ill keep you posted :)