Another Quad headlight thread? Why not :)

Fermanta

There have been quite a few threads on fitting quad lights and sourcing parts for them, but most seem to have faded out with little or no conclusion, with few decent photos. I'm in the process of trying to assemble a set, and have gathered up some odds and sods from various different sets. As far as I can gather, there has been at least three different setups fitted to the Manta  , the original type fitted to early cars including the i200 had a two piece setup that included a large mounting bracket setup that bolted to the rear of the surround, the later Irmscher type that used plastic bolts with rubber trim around the headlights and a Bosch Irmscher setup that used a two piece nest to hold the lights and three bolts came from the 'nest' were used to adjust the beam. There was also another setup that used Optilux lights that are very hard to source now? I'm open to correction on these points, and ideally will update OP with proper information as I garner it.

Anyway to my own predicament. I have a nice set of surrounds in blue, that are nice and straight and in good condition. They have holes around the inside for the adjusting bolts to go through. I also have a set of the two piece nests fitted to old Cibie lights, that I'm hoping to use. However the bolts protruding from them don't line up with the holes in my surrounds. I also have a couple of Hella lights that again have three (in this case plastic) bolts, but again they won't line up with surrounds, they seem to have the same pattern as the Cibie nests. I think I should be able to drill new holes in the surrounds to enable me to use the Cibie nests, can anyone confirm this either way? I have taken some photos of the various bits I have, and have numbered them so that even if they are surplus to my needs, hopefully they will help others understand various components needed rather than trying to describe the part.

Sorry for the long thread, but hopefully it will be helpful in the long run to others. 15250852_10154709239432086_2263364753314

Sorry, seems to only allow one photo per post? Anyway, these are the Cibie nests.
15232266_10154709239797086_8978487771568

15220118_10154709240032086_5263566267478

Ah, seems to be Ok now :) The surrounds...
15284160_10154709241422086_1636374359699

15230714_10154709242007086_3984109957757

• Like 1

Thanks Gary, tried to add photo of what I believe is one of the plastic adjuster you mentioned to my OP, but can't see option. This is one I think...

15337658_10154711921007086_1739268435716

Kevin, do you have a link to your thread please?

Edited by Fermanta
  • Like 1

These are two different quad surrounds i have currently.

First is unbranded and had lamps fitted with the adjusters in your first pic numbered 7+8

quad surrounds.jpg

The second is an Irmscher surround that used the plastic rods with hook ends in your last post /springs and adjuster knob number 4

quad surrounds (1).jpg

Edited by mantasrme
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fermanta said:

Thanks Gary, tried to add photo of what I believe is one of the plastic adjuster you mentioned to my OP, but can't see option. This is one I think...

15337658_10154711921007086_1739268435716

Kevin, do you have a link to your thread please?

yeah that's the one

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I picked up some quad lamps that have (rusty) metal backplates, though now unlikely to use those.

Will have to take some pics and add them here if of any interest to thread OP

Guessing the problem trying to be solved in most cases is the nest and the adjusters, plus however they are attached to the bulb. Don't know if any of the parts from this supplier would be of any use? http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/5-75--rim--pair-/

Edited by rutthenut
Added SVC link

• 2 weeks later...

I've only ever used the early 2 piece lights on my cars, if the metal backing can be saved you'll be able to use a variety of aftermarket light units.  On my car I have H4 outers and kc daylighters as inners.