My opel manta A rust

sean

Looks like just the usual place the A series rust. I replaced the same places. You will probably find that under the carpet in the front foot wells will need some work.

Are you going to try and make the repair sections? If you have not done this sort of thing buying some repair panel will be much easier.

These guys do some of the ones you want. Not cheap, but will save you lots of time.

http://atz-online.com/pk/opel-manta-ascona-ab/karosserieteile-opel-manta-ascona-ab/

and if you have not welded get some spare metal, watch lots of youTube videos and do lots of practice before tackling the car. And make sure you get the metal as clean as possible (as little rust as you can) I've not used a gasless one myself, but its just down to practicing as much as you can and a good mask.

Im sure you will get a lot of welding advice on here as we have all been through the same process :-)

Nice looking A series though.

Andy 

As shug says, you might as well pull the tank out now as you will need to do it some time. Drain it first as its just the one strap and filler neck holding it up there, so quite heavy if you have fuel left in it.

I've heard that gasless welders are not great for lots of welding so i would consider adding gas and maybe watch a few reviews.

You will probably best going for cutting out the rot and just spotting the panels in place while you get the hang of the welder and then finishing them off later rather than jumping straight in and trying to get it all welded in one go. It takes a while to get confident with it. Get a good mask that darkens when you strike the welder as its so much easier than using one that just dark all the time.

Andy

ps. and a nice warm garage :-)

That car looks familiar! That was the first Manta I ever went to look at way back in 2009, when I started looking for an A-series. A guy in Dublin owned it at the time, and it later was in Laois. A few years later the guy in Laois ended up selling me some of the spares that were with it, he had sold the car by then, but not the spares. She's a 1975 1.6 right?

Good luck with the restoration, be good to see another one saved! 

Mine is currently being welded in all those places - you might of seen it in Manta Magic - the Luxus. I bought a load of replacement panels from Dr. Manta, ATZ and also M&M Dronten in The Netherlands. All panels have been a good fit and are of good quality so phew! Car looks good otherwise doesn't it?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...