Bigger front brake setup

rayjen2k

I'm looking to fit a better brake setup on my manta B soon.

just looking for a full kit someone might be willing to sell on, preferably 4 pot calipers and larger vented discs, but a good set of Astra 16v calipers might do the job.  Don't care what the calipers originally came off as long as the kit fits straight on with any modifications already done.  

Edited by rayjen2k

This is some info I have attained over the years, but further clarification will be needed to ensure the source material is correct.

Right sizes of disc and caliper should match to within a couple of mm

Calipers:

Late Calibra turbo turbo/4x4 288mm discs

Early Calibra/cavalier turbo/4x4 284mm discs

Volvo 4 pot 263mm

Astra 16v 256mm

Discs that have the correct offset as standard to fit the manta hub

Rwd cossie  283mm vented

Audi 80 256 vented

Carlton 246 vented

Manta 246 solid

You can also get a spacer made and run fwd vauxhall discs but that is more expensive

That allows 288 discs and calipers

So what works?

early calibra and cossie

astra 16v and audi

carlton 2.2 and carlton 2.2

Volvo 4 pots can be used with 256mm discs but there is a bit of pad overhang. Personally don't like that idea but if you check them regularly and remove the overhang or get the chamfered edge pads then its ok as many people do run them.

Only the Manta and Carlton discs bolt on without modification, all the others need new mounting holes drilling and the centre bore opening up

All the calipers listed above just bolt on with no mods/

I have the Astra 16V and Audi setup on the front.

• Like 1

Wow.  That's a lot of info Rob  :thumbup Thanks. 

I will probably end up going down one of these routes myself in a while if nothing pops up in the next few days. 

The only reason I decided to put up the advert is that in about one week or so I have a friend that can deliver anything I want back to Ireland (where my manta is for now) for free. 

If a full, ready assembled kit happened to appear I would buy it just to save time and delivery costs.  

• Like 1

The source material you put up is all correct Rob as i was the one who put it out there in the first place :thumbup

Can i ask why you want 4pots?

The only 4pot calipers i know of out there that will bolt straight on are the Volvo 4pots and the Wilwood ones they do with their manta kits. Of course you can fit pretty much any caliper if you make the appropriate adapters up and work out the required disc sizes. People have used Mitsubishi, Porsche, brembo, and others but its all a lot of work.

While the volvo 4 pots bolt straight on they are meant for a 263mm disc and there isn't one that i know of that can fit with just a little lathe work and re-drilling. They would need a spacer making to move the disc into line (which is expensive). Also its worth noting the volvo caliper do not fit under a 14" wheel. I've run the volvo calipers in the past and then swapped to the astra 16v type. Personally i find the astra ones much better/more powerful, the brake pad friction area is twice the size on the astra which makes up for any power increase a 4 pot has over a single pot sliding caliper in my opinion.

• Like 2

They are only calipers, you also need the right carriers for them (as its a 2 part caliper design) which are not available new from anywhere even Vauxhall.

So no that won't give you a full kit.

The discs are listed right (although the picture is wrong as it shows 5 studs) if they are 283mmx24mm with a height of around 56mm they are the correct ones. BUT they need modifying on a lathe to open up the centre bore and drill 4 new mounting holes.

• Like 1

Bugger.  Forgot about the carriers :blink:

was thinking to myself that this looked to easy.  

I have a feeling that the discs in the pic are for illustration purposes, even though I knew I would have to get them rebored as well, as I guess they would be 4X108.

i would probably be better off getting slightly longer bolts to bolt the new discs to the hub also while I'm at it. 

Edited by rayjen2k

Right then. B)

These yellow calibra calipers seem to have carriers with them.

if I was to buy them and a set of 2wd cossie discs. Then get the discs bored to 4X100, would I be sorted?

will the old mantas bolts work for mounting the new discs to the hubs and the calipers to the hubs?

and do I need new flexi hoses?

sorry for all the amateur questions, I hate buying the wrong item first time...

image.png

Edited by rayjen2k

The original manta hub to disc bolts are fine for the cossie discs, as are the caliper mount bolts.

You need to have the centre bore of the new discs opened up on a lathe to be a precise fit onto the manta hub, then the 4 new mounting holes drilled at 92MM not 100

If you do a search on the forum there are lots of discussions on the brake topic and all the info can be found there with pictures from memory.

• Like 1

Thanks again mantasrme.  

Ive gone and purchased refurbed calibra calipers and a new set of 2wd discs. 

Next job is to send the discs away for machining.  

If you know anyone who's interested in the work, that would be a help 😉

Just as an afterthought to the thread. You can use volvo vented 4 pots and the disc to fit perfectly is the sierra xr4x4 drilled to 4x98. perfect size and offset, you need to just shave the casting on the inside of the volvo caliper to clear the disc a tiny bit

• Like 1

Too late for me this time Kev.  My parts are purchased already.  

Need to find someone to do redrill and to resize the centre bore on the discs next. 

If you know anyone that can do it, give me a shout 👍

Any decent engineering place with a lathe will be able to modify the discs for you. Its not worth posting them off somewhere as it would cost £20 to ship there and back again.

Just take the new discs and an original manta disc along as a template and they'll do the rest.

• Like 2