Trying again 1.8 coupe

Shaun400r

Bought this from bonny Scotland Friday night as I need time away from my 400r as she is being a bi@@h at the mo lol some days she runs well and others she won't  . I recently had a red hatch I was going to restore but loss of job meant I couldn't do it anyway working again so need something to do on a weekend     This 1.8 coupe turned up on gumtree genuine 85k full service history a pile of paperwork and a non sunroof model  complete car including tape deck rear speakers not sure about the amount of biege though now the big decision!!!!  What to do with it I welcome any comments and suggestions at this point I'm thinking completely standard just don't know if I can live with the beige n brown anyway I put it on the ramps and took some pics (hopefully to follow ) 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

Well put some jump leads to it some fresh petrol n oil /water and she fired straight up and moves under her own steam !! No brakes !!! Stereo works as do all the electrics and components it's certainly been someone's pride and joy still having a biege overload though:o

:lol:I see what you mean by the interior,maybe just change the whole interior for a darker one if you can find one that is:unsure:

Go for darker wheels to contrast the gold paintwork, gunmetal? apart from that keep her standard.

Aside from the usual suspects lurking beneath looks like a good un,solid roof good history etc nice paint.

If you could live with the interior colour,i am sure there was someone on here selling a mint gte interior in the same colour,which would be a plausible upgrade for her.:)

That's my thoughts will keep a look out for some

Oh no someone welded the wings to the valance:wacko:

Got wings off eventually thanks to them being welded on gggrrrr passenger door off no problems drivers door top pin no problem bottom pin someone in the past has snapped a drill bit in the hinge bit so couldn't get the door off God knows how to get that out ?????

Edited by Shaun400r
Edit
  • Like 2

You just can't make your mind up can you, one manta or two manta's :P

It looks pretty good (apart from interior colour) i take it from the way the under side looks it had been stood unused for a while though.

Does the fact that you have poked at the rusty bits mean you are having a go at welding it up yourself? :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Oh and well done at getting pictures up by yourself  :thumbup

Think that's the plan speaking of which did you sell the welder you had advertised ? Will something like that be better than that gasless chinky brand 1 I bought ? Also I think I'm going to need a rotating spit which 1 would suit my garage best ?         Lol got the hang of pics it's easier now the limit has been increased:thumbup

Yeah still got my old welder have it listed in the for sale section and it would be a million times better than that gasless thing you bought.

If you want to buy it i will throw in my old spit and mounts that i used to weld up your 400 all those years ago, its set up at the lowest height possible that will let you rotate a manta fully. In my garage it cleared the floor by a few inches as the roof rotated around. Although i am not 100% sure it would work in your garage

Rapid weight loss today managed to get the door off as someone had snapped a drillbit in the bottom hinge :wacko:    Only took 2 hours lol interior out/ bonnet off / boot lid off/ petrol tank out bumpers removed.    Had a bit poke with a screwdriver someone's pinched some of my floor:thumbup nasty rust goblins     Hopefully get the engine gearbox prop off tomorrow weather depending of course

Found this under the rear seat ? Do you get these for going to billing ?????

• Like 1

Went down the garage today to remove prop engine/gearbox

All out only casualty was a grazed knob.  Gear knob that is but needed replacing as its glued together              Decided to have a quick poke at the rear arch oh dear 

Looked better with these on

Took a couple more pics of problem areas it looks quite bad but think it could be worse let's be honest as it gets further down the line I'm bound to uncover some nastys:ph34r:

Just waiting for dr manta to come back from his hols to put a big shopping list in then as I've never used a welder I've got a few weekends of practising before I go near the car ;)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bit more stripped today front n rear screen out rest of trim seat belts dash. The headlining in 1 piece no rips. Phew not been looking forward to that job hopefully it will go back in as easy lol (fingers crossed )  found more rot at the rear passenger wheel arch forgot to take pic of that     Had a trip to north wales last sat to buy some panels n trim etc from Upk top bloke just wish I took a bigger van lol   Also had some practise with my welder lets just say I'm not going near the car just yet ha ha I'm sure it will get better 

• Like 8