rover v 8 tuning

GerryC400

Appreciate any advice with my question. I got the rover v8 fitted to my manta, apology's to anyone who disagrees. My problem is it is only producing 100bhp ,not very good by any standards. Its running a holley 390 carb with vacuum advance. Its been rolling roaded as per my other post. Things I have checked since the rolling road are as follows. I have checked the head part numbers and confirmed they are SD1. I have checked the compression on each cylinder its 160 psi which seems correct as per the Haynes manual, also I believe the block to be 9.35 :1 as per engine serial number, the CR is not stamped on the block, but the compression I believe would not be as high if it were a lower compression engine. I have just checked the cam timing tonight and it appears to be fine as I checked piston 1 at tdc and distributor firing no1 and rockers not rocking. I am concerned, it might be a better check to physically see the marks on both sprockets are aligned. Its a extra bit of work , I didn't want to disturb gaskets and seals that are doing their job fine yet. 

The only thing I cant confirm is the type of cam used in the engine build. This was an engine I bought that had been rebuilt by an engine builder...................Just as I am writing , I am wondering if the air filter might restrict it, although the guy at the rolling road asked to see the type of filter I had fitted , he didn't seem concerned. I know some guys got some v 8 mantas , maybe able to advise here........thanks, 

Edited by GerryC400
removed filter. running much better, Now thinking overfueling is flooding it .

When its running is it smooth or lumpy and when you push the pedal does it hold back or picks up fine but with no power?

What fuel pump are you using and is the pressure correctly set and all filters clean?

Last thing when the engine was rebuilt were the leads, coil and dissy replaced?

Thanks for the response bris jas, I was at the car quite late last night ,but I had removed the air filter to see if any effect. It did make a noticeable difference. I read your reply and a chap at work also mentioned gaskets on exhaust could be wrong. Checked the gaskets ,no issues with that ,but worth a check. I moved onto the fuel filter and took out the internals. I decided to revert to my base settings on the holley carb as per a holley book I had been following to overhaul the carb. Took it for a run, the thing is pulling like a train tonight, pretty happy that I have resolved the major issue , now I can play about making it better. New plugs on order as old have been carbon up a few times. So in case anyone might want info on this in the future, The engine is a 3.5 SD1 with standard cam. The compression on each cylinder is 160 psi when cranked on the starter. The holley is a 390 4 barrel vacumn advance .  The primary main jets are 52, the secondary jets are 55 on this carb , this is not always an option on the secondary's it may just be a fixed size in some cases. The power  valve is 6.5, and the venturi jets are .025, accelerator pump is 30 cc with brown cam. Timing is set 8 degrees BTDC this might alter once I get new plugs , I might go for 10 degrees vacuum pipe off.

Been a bit of a challenge to get this car to this stage, looking forward to driving it for a bit, with a bit tinkering along the way. I have no doubt there will be some more hurdles over time to keep me on my toes. It wouldn't be the same fun if project s didn't require tinkering...............

I appreciate your comment, in the back of my mind , I was thinking some things were overlooked . Although it was a good experience and gave me confidence to chase the fault myself. I set the timing to 12 deg btdc from 8 deg . Took it for a drive tonight, on the overrun going through villages the exhaust note was popping, really sounded good. I think I will go to 10 deg btdc next , there is a hesitation when I go to accelerate at times, very slight flat spot, also can feel the secondary's coming in.  Got to play about with it , I think I will keep the timing light in the boot so I can make suttle roadside adjustments.........................

45 minutes ago, GerryC400 said:

I appreciate your comment, in the back of my mind , I was thinking some things were overlooked . Although it was a good experience and gave me confidence to chase the fault myself. I set the timing to 12 deg btdc from 8 deg . Took it for a drive tonight, on the overrun going through villages the exhaust note was popping, really sounded good. I think I will go to 10 deg btdc next , there is a hesitation when I go to accelerate at times, very slight flat spot, also can feel the secondary's coming in.  Got to play about with it , I think I will keep the timing light in the boot so I can make suttle roadside adjustments.........................

Yes but one of the reasons to use a rolling road is to have an expert tell you if there are issues or let you know where your restrictions are.

Unless you specifically said just tune it and I don't want to know anything else sounds like your rolling road operator was not the best.

I was out re jetting the v8 and fitted new plugs , redone ignition timing, took it for a run, it is running very good now , pulls really well, the flat spots are no longer. really smooth and torque.. I have learnt a lot myself at this stage .