Hi from a former club member

FOZ

Hi all,

my name is John and I was a member of the OMOC back in the late 80's into the 90's, I think my membership number was 83.

my first Manta was a steel grey gte coupe that I bought new in 1986. The reg was D155 NBM and I had some work done to the car such as some head work by Bill Bydenstein and a Jettex exhaust.  I sold this car to another club member when I had the chance to buy 'Kermit' a pale green 1977 SR Berlinetta Coupe Auto VPP 938S from a friend of my father. The car was low mileage and in fantastic condition. I dealt with some minor surface rust on the sills and replaced all the chrome arch trims while using lots of wax oil, but nothing else really needed doing. I finally had to sell the car to another club member when I bought a house.

I would love to know where the cars are now; I have seen 'Kermit' at a car show in Harpenden Herts a few years ago and in a few pictures on the internet. I would love to think that both cars are still going strong with members of club.

I have fond memories of Manta ownership and always keep an eye out for them at classic car shows.

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Hi John,

Welcome...... BACK !!!

If the Manta you are refering to is a light green i think i know the one, for a while it was owned by Len Kiff in Hetfordshire (leading light in the Renualt UK club), he sold it to Robbie Stinson in Northern Ireland, i think it has since moved on elsewhere in Ireland.

you can input the reg numbers onto a DVLA website to see if they are still on the road, but if the green Manta has migrated south of the border in Ireland then it won't show on the register.

Thanks to you both, yes my car was the one owned by Len Kiff, I came across a 

post about it for sale on Pistonheads. I did look on the DVLA site and I am pleased you mentioned Ireland as I was concerned she was longer in use. 

I must admit looking at all the Mantas on the forum does make we want one again, would love a Manta A with a 16V conversion.

This car has just got my bottom lip trembling!!  It is exactly the same colour as the one I had in 1981-82  (then I had it resprayed F**d peppermint green)   That was one of my favourite cars ever owned.  Does anyone know the name of this shade of green?  I am sure it wasn't Pistachio as it was a lot lighter.

• 5 months later...

My old car, from way back, i bought it off John, Lovely car and still in superb condition as far as the recent pictures ive seen of it, i spoke to the current owner back in the summer and he did indeed confirm this is VPP 938S.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, sorry I have only just looked again on the forum and I really appreciate the update on 'Kermit'. So glad that she is still going strong, really wish I had not sold her but the house purchase took priority.

Chris, do you still own a Manta? I remember all your cars were very well prepared so I felt better selling Kermit to you.

Finally I have been to the NEC Classic car show today and took a look on the OMOC stand, love the  two 16v Manta A. 

Cheers all

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John, I had a 10 year break from owning a Manta, Had lots of nice cars in the meantime, a few  Porsche 911s, A few mk2 Golf gtis, still have a multi concours winning mk2 gti now thats been magazine featured, Have 2 VW campers, an old 1979 T2 and a 2014 T5.

But now a Manta owner again, just recently purchased a very nice 1977 SR Coupe in Sapphire blue, really excited to own another after all this time, Still remember the day i came down and purchased Kermit from you, remember your brother talking about Shumacker radio controlled models, did he work for them if i remember correctly?

Looking back now i wish i had kept a couple of cars that i let slip through my fingers, Kermit being one and scribe of Lincolns ( Ben) being another.

All the best,

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris, I see you have had some great cars and I note they are all German. I am the same, love my VW's I have had a mk4, mk5 and now have a mk6 Gti. My 'toy' is a modified 2006 MINI JCW, but I do miss rear wheel drive!

My brother is still the sales/marketing manager at Schumacher Racing, trust him to try and sell you a radio controlled car when you came over.

Pleased to hear that you have a Manta again, you must have lots of parking at your house. I will keep an eye out for your Mk2 Gti and the Manta.

All the best

John