Secret project 2, 1800 Exclusive Hatch, Now Finished Aug 2017

Kevin Abbott

Well its that time of year and time for secret project 2

It's not the black exclusive as that's going to take longer than this one and billing is only around the corner peeps :)

Here's a taster 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Look at how good that floor and under battery tray is !

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by Kevin Abbott
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update on secret project 2

This was a facebook find so we went off to Newcastle and brought it back, was told it was a manta that required no welding.

A unicorn you have found i hear you shout?

Errrrrrr.

No.

It is however one of the best shells I have seen and better than the Exclusive coupe filling the corner over their...........

This is it as it arrived.

It is an 1800 green glass exclusive hatch. This is exactly the car that would of been torn apart for the engine and box a few years ago but I believe it's a rare survivor so my Brother and I are going to restore it and bring it to billing this year:)

It's a great shell, original wings with no rust and it's had a brand new front end that hasn't got a single snot on it ( if I cut it off and stuck black primer on it that's a £700 panel:rolleyes:, but no... it will survive )

Arches and sills are 100% top banana

so, carpet up and black stuff removed revealed a small amount of rust over the pass jacking point so it was cut out, bikt hamber applied and a new piece of zintech steel welded in place

Drivers floor perfect, just a little repair from the outside of the A post to sort

This shot is below the battery tray, how nice is that!

Same for the washer bottle area, best accelerator pedal area I have seen for a long time 

Period smelly, no smell remains

Interior with un-broken grab handles and complete 

Roof is mint inside and out

Steering wheel with pad present

Alarm works, two keys with the car, both keys fit all doors and locks, car came with full dealer pack

Period accessories in the glove box 

Engine not touched but has new parts fitted and runs mint, yet to be cleaned.. All original 1800

We have sent the tank off to be refurbished and it''s just landed so no pics yet, all pipes to be replaced.

I removed all the rear brake lines and made new ones ( mancona shelf :lol:)

Now up onto the body lift for a poke under it

Edited by Kevin Abbott
  • Like 3

Tank straps de rusted and painted

Up above our heads and the swan neck outer had a bit of rust on so it was decided to cut out the rot and replace the outer.

All bilt hambered up and painted in electrox as per usual 

The chassis to brace arm bushes requred cutting out so a pair of polyflex bushes were ordered as replacements 

New 12.9 grade bolts ordered and fitted with nylock nuts

Exhaust mid and tail box cut off and chucked away, now onto the cleaning of the old underseal to spot any other rust, scale gun on the go.

Looks good.

Springs will be removed as one is the wrong way around

Wings removed and blasted with the power washer and TFR. A posts very good with only little repairs required after stripping, bilt hamber and then 2k black

Edited by Kevin Abbott
typo
  • Like 5

With the welding complete it's time to make it look like a scene from Alien

Loads of TFR ( hydrochloric acid ) and a steam washer set at 130, up into the air to give it's bottom a proper clean. This is at 11pm in the pissing down rain, not that we noticed as we was under a car power washing it:lol:

We was sooooo cold after doing that but it all came up nice and clean

A night inside to dry off and the day after it's time to start on the rubbing strip pimple things that stick out like a sore thumb.

Grinding them off here using the edge of the power file to leave as little damage to the panel as poss.

Areas primed with electrox and then filled with dintrol metal filler ( good stuff )

Heat lamp out to help cure it all

Paint time! Actually it should be called sanding time, that's a rubbish job.... Utter mind numbing bobness 

So rubbish I didn't take any pics!

Anyway, paint time now. Body has a little filler in the depressions left when removing the bump srips and a little to fill a low in the pass wing and a tiny bit in the lower front corner of the nosecone.

My Brother and I decided to do all the body and paint on this, normally it's left to the paint and body man Tom but we wanted a try with some new equipment.

Getting ready for the 2k high build primer, masking up.

Primer on

We left it for a day and then on saturday it was more sandng, oh God not more sanding! We flatted with 400s then 800s ready for the monaco blue base ( code 249)

De masked to stop the primer blowing off the masking into the base

Remasked and panel wiped and tack ragged ready to apply base. New Devilbiss airfed mask and blue point compressor doing it's job well

Paint slung on by my Brother Andy as I'm rusty when it comes to painting cars ( last one was my gold mancona) using a sata jet hravity gun with a 1.4 tip.

Base allowed to dry and the overspray tacked off ready for the lacquer

Lacquer on on left to dry, one tacky coat then 2 proper ones

Demasked the same night to avoid clear coat tear when removing tape and plastic

Booth nice and hot for a while to bake it, left overnight and on sunday pushed out into the sun

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Kevin Abbott said:

With the welding complete it's time to make it look like a scene from Alien

Loads of TFR ( hydrochloric acid ) and a steam washer set at 130, up into the air to give it's bottom a proper clean. This is at 11pm in the pissing down rain, not that we noticed as we was under a car power washing it:lol:

We was sooooo cold after doing that but it all came up nice and clean

A night inside to dry off and the day after it's time to start on the rubbing strip pimple things that stick out like a sore thumb.

Grinding them off here using the edge of the power file to leave as little damage to the panel as poss.

Areas primed with electrox and then filled with dintrol metal filler ( good stuff )

Heat lamp out to help cure it all

Paint time! Actually it should be called sanding time, that's a rubbish job.... Utter mind numbing bobness 

So rubbish I didn't take any pics!

Anyway, paint time now. Body has a little filler in the depressions left when removing the bump srips and a little to fill a low in the pass wing and a tiny bit in the lower front corner of the nosecone.

My Brother and I decided to do all the body and paint on this, normally it's left to the paint and body man Tom but we wanted a try with some new equipment.

Getting ready for the 2k high build primer, masking up.

Primer on

We left it for a day and then on saturday it was more sandng, oh God not more sanding! We flatted with 400s then 800s ready for the monaco blue base ( code 249)

De masked to stop the primer blowing off the masking into the base

Remasked and panel wiped and tack ragged ready to apply base. New Devilbiss airfed mask and blue point compressor doing it's job well

Paint slung on by my Brother Andy as I'm rusty when it comes to painting cars ( last one was my gold mancona) using a sata jet hravity gun with a 1.4 tip.

Base allowed to dry and the overspray tacked off ready for the lacquer

Lacquer on on left to dry, one tacky coat then 2 proper ones

Demasked the same night to avoid clear coat tear when removing tape and plastic

Booth nice and hot for a while to bake it, left overnight and on sunday pushed out into the sun

So when is this car for sale? 

On 01/03/2016 at 8:00 PM, Kevin Abbott said:

Wings removed and blasted with the power washer and TFR. A posts very good with only little repairs required after stripping, bilt hamber and then 2k black

that's looking good :)I'm going to get mine done whilst the wings are off, paint right over the bilt hamber with the 2k black? or did you prime first? 

3 hours ago, Snowy said:

So when is this car for sale? 

We was looking at getting it ready for billing and selling there but it's coming together faster so it should be for sale sooner. 

Still got a lot to do on it. 

Raptor. Paint suspension. 

Add new lines. 

Fit the recon tank with new lines. 

Spec out the engine bay. 

Paint servo and MS. 

Rad. 

Paint engine bay and under bonnet. 

Rebuild all the trim.  It should be there. 

Look at swapping the lights for new although they are Lucas. May swap over the glass onto new bowls.  Not sure yet. 

Wheels. Need to dog out a set of Ronals and paint them silver. 

The 13" ones it's on don't look great. 

New tyres. 

It needs lowering by about a foot. 

3 hours ago, TheRealExile said:

that's looking good :)I'm going to get mine done whilst the wings are off, paint right over the bilt hamber with the 2k black? or did you prime first? 

We normally use electrox over hydrate 80 but we was knackered and needed to get some paint on the protect it. 2k sticks like sh&t to  blanket.  

It's going to be raptored over the lot yet anyhow. 

Poss in body colour. 

Tonight's job.

Colour sanding. A necessary evil. 

Hate this as it's so easy to go though if your mind isn't 100% on the job. 

You have to sand off the shine it was so hard to put on then buff up without burning the paint. Stressful this bit. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kevin Abbott said:

Tonight's job.

Colour sanding. A necessary evil. 

Hate this as it's so easy to go though if your mind isn't 100% on the job. 

You have to sand off the shine it was so hard to put on then buff up without burning the paint. Stressful this bit.

it's going to look great, I need to pull me finger out and get cracking on with mine. You doing this bit by hand or using the orbital, always been too chicken to do it using a sander and end up doing a few panels at a time by hand and it still blinking never looks quite bodyshop, always end up paying them to get the shine 100%

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheRealExile said:

it's going to look great, I need to pull me finger out and get cracking on with mine. You doing this bit by hand or using the orbital, always been too chicken to do it using a sander and end up doing a few panels at a time by hand and it still blinking never looks quite bodyshop, always end up paying them to get the shine 100%

Yes we are using 1500 on the DA wet, then a quick wet going over with 3000 on the DA wet. Then a 3 stage compound using 2 different compound pads then the wool mop. Edges are being touched in by hand and things like a posts and scuttle are a pain. We are by no means experts at this and have been taking advice from people in the know.

All this for a hatch that in the 90s I would of probably taken apart for its mint panels and XE stuff:lol::rolleyes:

• Like 2

Great to see an 18 hatch getting this amount of luv&attention so respect for that kev:thumbup,but I must admit my eyes are more on your exclusive coupe project.B)

Edited by evo3000
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, evo3000 said:

Great to see an 18 hatch getting this amount of luv&attention so respect for that kev:thumbup,but I must admit my eyes are more on your exclusive coupe project.B)

Which one ;)

the black one or secret project coupe 3 B)

2 hours ago, Kevin Abbott said:

Which one ;)

the black one or secret project coupe 3 B)

:blink:the black one,i just can't keep up with all these projects you got going:wacko:respect for being a serial manta saver though.:thumbup

• Like 1

Most of flatting and buffing done now but still a few bits to finish what an utterly soal destroying job it is to flat and polish but the end result is much better 

I hate flatting.

Hate it.

Compounding too.

You paint a car and it's nice, then you sand the shine off... Potentially sanding though to base.

No wonder people normally don't bother or if they do it's a 2 grand job like other companies quote.

It's a lot of money to put into a 1800 Exclusive Hatch and I hope it's worth it in the end, I could be putting my time into the other 2 Exclusive Coupes we have to restore that are worth more money.

You know what though? I think this hatch will be as good as any Coupe out there and a good investment. Coupes are going up so fast I think it has to pull the Hatch up with them:thumbup 

• 3 weeks later...

Update, Andrew wasn't satisfied with only having one 60 foot long spray booth that is a bit big for a car so he went looking for a professional car booth..

A week later and Andrew and I was in sunny wigan taking down this beast piece by piece, complete with screw compressor/ dryer and huge receiver

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_0967_zpsjf4se3se.jpg[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_0965_zpsd3hxlctn.jpg[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_0970_zpso9zvd10d.jpg[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_0966_zpshziaujtf.jpg[/IMG]

It took us a full HARD day to remove it, Cliff turned up to help too.. Loaded it onto the 7.5 T waggon and went back to Heywood and built it up over the next few days.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1039_zpsgf4boqui.jpg[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1042_zpsrntud7kz.jpg[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1038_zpsohbxkuq4.jpg[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1033_zpso2y1l7iu.jpg[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1079_zpsccmnqqaf.jpg[/IMG]

Gas in

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1111_zpsfzyrjxel.jpg[/IMG]

We now have even better facilities to restore old cars :lol:

Hatch has been coming on and has about 10 hours a day spent on it for weeks now, that's why all my updates are late ones as I don't get home until after midnight.

Interior fitted ( valeting later) 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1097_zpsa4gkgzn6.jpg[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1094_zpsaxnfpsdj.jpg[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1093_zpssjl0jdkb.jpg[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1052_zpsdi7coeta.jpg[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1053_zpsmsiz5gpc.jpg[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1054_zps8ppex5vs.jpg[/IMG]

Fuel tank back from the restorers and new lines on

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1098_zpsntgqw2n1.jpg[/IMG]

More paint, more masking, more windows going in ( used one of my spare green screens for this!) 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1118_zpshnfm4tzn.jpg[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1122_zpsh2dsuipi.jpg[/IMG]

Masked out for satin black paint restoration

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1120_zpsj3ilyle1.jpg[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1118_zpshnfm4tzn.jpg[/IMG]

Satin black trim, dents removed, scotched, adhesion promoter then taybar top quality satin black ( better than the autogym we tried.. ) 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1146_zps3qjydglb.jpg[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1139_zpsl07jb7q9.jpg[/IMG]

Heat gun to aid curing plus the infra red and a cheeky shot of the GT and the mancona :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1142_zpsiempz6b1.jpg[/IMG]

De-masked, finally!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1149_zpsojtf4ldc.jpg[/IMG]

Lights fitted ( will be looking into new reflectors or units ) 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1147_zpsp3eeyfmv.jpg[/IMG]

Building up the rear, will be doing a led light number plate conversion

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1150_zpsd1ofqhix.jpg[/IMG]

Rear screen going in tomorrow then we can wash it and start on the underneath

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1148_zpsurtmbsh1.jpg[/IMG]

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why won't the images show???????????????

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why won't the images show???????????????

Test

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/callybreaker/secret%20project%202/IMG_1148_zpsurtmbsh1.jpg[/IMG]

I give up.... Why has the forum changed the way I can load a pic? I normally link from PB like I have now.... I won't get a response so I'll talk to myself.. grumble grumble waiting for a ban for the word shite

Edited by Kevin Abbott
I'm in a better mood