Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul Barrett

Manta A series rebuild

69 posts in this topic

Boom,

shell going to painters tomorrow. Then panels next week. 

The race is on. Got a bloody holiday in the way!!!

1 person likes this

Tackling the passenger door!

got to get it done by end of play Saturday as hopefully picking up the painted shell.

mick my metal man did a perfect job on the repair panels that I've had done, hey are spot on fit. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

2 people like this

Nice work! The door looks like its pretty crusty, are you making any other repair sections, or are they available to buy somewhere?

Nah can't buy much more apart from the outer lower skin which is available. 

The corners i'll make by hand again in few sections.

Posted (edited)

More doors, I have had to resort to using one of better doors from the V8 project as time is against me, going on family hols for a week Monday and ian the painter want the panels tomorrow to get cracking. 

Bith doors need the wing mirror hole welding up, by once buzzed down were pitted to buggery. So just cut out and plated.

The 'decent door' still needed a repair section letting in on the bottom. Not as mint as I thought it was so I do t feel so bad about using it now!

Oh and the shell is back

couple of bit are going to need sorting but he needed out of the workshop. And I spotted some runs on the sills and missed area at the back. But the most frustrating for us both is the pi hole below one of the rear vents. Ian thought it was a screw hole for a badge but alas it is not it was a pinhole from buzzing back some rust.  He reckons it can be sorted, I hope so or its a full repainted of re quarter!  But that aside I'm very pleased with how it has turned out. Chris (mantray) will vouch how rough the original paint job was. Ian has done a sterling job of the very bad rear quarter where it had a fire in the boot.

Edited by Paul Barrett
6 people like this

Thats why a good paint job cost so much, Does not matter how good the paint job is, if the prep work is not done correctly. Thats what your paying for, to get it right takes skil and time.

Posted (edited)

Blue no more!? Cool new colour though...

You mentioned lower door skins are available, where from?

Edited by moodoo

Moodoo look on ebay, cant remember seller, chris might know 

Posted (edited)

After I mentioned to the boss  I'll probably be doing the odd track day soon in the manta she asked is it as safe in such an old car. I have been considering a roll cage for some time as the A pillars on the A are so thin and i have already had 'off road experience' in it. I've order a safety devices cage, it's stripped out already so seems daft to not to really. 

Edited by Paul Barrett
1 person likes this

I'm so annoyed right now. Put an preset with supplier for tollacge with a few extra bits added.  3-4 week lead time which is fine. Process order and pay and then they tell me 7 weeks! Not happy at all. 

Some bits done, but painter is well behind now getting the rest of the panels done. Aero catches cut into bonnet, will be painted biddy colour.

been playing with the rear lighting too. 

Grills are painted too, such a huge difference sprucing them up.

badges painted up too. 

Been cracking along, 

car is back at mine, the v8 build has been shifted into the trailer and left up the farm for time being.

ive built a firewall to seal the tank In the boot for safety sake, carpeted the shelf to hide.

headlinging is in

was going to fit the rear screen by the new rubber is too long on the top section, hoepfully sort swiftly with east Kent trim.

also got all the front lights built up and in.

sug out the r28 omega box for a clean up. 

7 people like this

Nice....Front end looks sharp! How  was fitting the headlining in the end?

4 hours ago, moodoo said:

Nice....Front end looks sharp! How  was fitting the headlining in the end?

Tricky, need to be patient lol

I'm going to remove stretch one area as it has

now dropped slightly drivers side has come out mint. 

Rear screen in. As advised by east Kent trim, I just cut out a section and superglued it, worked great. Still not sure why it is not the correct size? 

Have fitted the tea gas shocks and new lowering springs, but I will be cutting them, not enough lows! If they are likely to fall out on full drop I'll add it some retaining straps. 

1 person likes this

Front screen now in, wasn't a bugger as much as I was expecting really. 

Dropped the last door off to painter. another week and they should all be done!

have fitted the new rear GAZ shocks and lowered springs. 

Really need to get the subframe built up now, ready for engine out and new gearbox on. As have to order a prop asap.

2 people like this