1987 Original Opel Manta Gt/e Hatch For Sale

Jack

If you can get all the bits to do a conversion, you can bring your car to me. I will show you what to do, lend you the tools and you can do it all yourself with my guidance. Just get some vectra calipers carriers pads and carlton 2.2 disks and you're away. bolt on bolt off.

Cheers mate is that the best conversion to do? Better than calibra and EBC?

No as the carlton discs are the same size as your manta discs but vented. It is just easy as they bolt straight on. No machining required. Which is also good when you need to replace them as you buy them ready to fit off the shelf.

If you really want to improve your stopping power cheaply then fit the calipers mentioned above and some 256mm vented audi discs. There are others out there that fit with a bit of machining but these are cheap and easy to find and make for a very good set up.

Why upgrade?

A well serviced GTE setup is more than capable on a standard car, only need to upgrade if your pulling more power.

The common problem with standard callipers is the sliders get sticky. Take them off and clean and regrese, if sliders need replacing, BigRed do a recon calliper set for about £80.

Well every time I get on it and use the brakes hard they fade far too quick and you can smell them burning. They are not very good anyway are they to be honest I think it's one of those things with Mantas. I will be pulling more power because I am doing mine up gradually but starting with suspension and brakes and giving the mechanics a good service including gearbox and diff oil.

A well serviced GTE setup is more than capable on a standard car,

When you have driven a more modern car for a while and then get back into a Manta you realise the brakes are not a Manta's greatest virtue, even when in good working order.

Cooling can a major issue, because they are about at their limit and so have to be 'stood on' all the time when driving briskly ( i won't say hooning ...)

If i was to drive across Milton Keynes, land of the roundabouts, i would be on the brakes every half mile, by the time i got across the city i would be experiencing scary brake fade.

Carlton Disks arent the top conversion to do, but they do cool better and are more reliable. Along with astra GSI or vectra calipers you will have a better over standard brake and parts will be easier to get as vectras are still a common car. If you've fitted a C20LET with mega boost, you may want to get some dinner plates under there for extra stopping force. I Might consider audi brakes for mine next...... we will see. :)

Thanks Snowy if they a good set up and bolt straight on that's the way to go I think. It's Audi 100 discs isn't it?

Audi disc do not bolt straight on. You will really struggle to find any other discs, except the carlton vented items, that will.

Carlton Disks arent the top conversion to do, but they do cool better and are more reliable. Along with astra GSI or vectra calipers you will have a better over standard brake and parts will be easier to get as vectras are still a common car. If you've fitted a C20LET with mega boost, you may want to get some dinner plates under there for extra stopping force. I Might consider audi brakes for mine next...... we will see. :)

I really have an issue with a set up that gives you pad overhang. As if you are not careful and you let the pads get to worn they can end up touching causing scary moments when you need the brakes the most.

I'd either fit recon calipers from an early mk2 cavalier, I think?? and carlton discs. You'd have a matching set up and less brake fad.

Of fit the cavalier mk3/astra gte/calibra/Vectra calipers and carriers for the 256mm vented discs and appropriate discs. There are loads of choices, I just prefer the audi set up due to good quality discs being very cheap to buy. Takes your local friendly machinist less than an hour to do both discs. 

Thanks

Edited by Snowy

I really have an issue with a set up that gives you pad overhang. As if you are not careful and you let the pads get to worn they can end up touching causing scary moments when you need the brakes the most.

I'd either fit recon calipers from an early mk2 cavalier, I think?? and carlton discs. You'd have a matching set up and less brake fad.

Of fit the cavalier mk3/astra gte/calibra/Vectra calipers and carriers for the 256mm vented discs and appropriate discs. There are loads of choices, I just prefer the audi set up due to good quality discs being very cheap to buy. Takes your local friendly machinist less than an hour to do both discs. 

Thanks

What Audi Disks are they exactly? I might get a set and get my local machinist to modify them .. Ive had no problem with the current set up. Disks have been on since I bought it in 2007. Only put 1 set of pads in when I bought new calipers. So long as you take care with them theres no worry.

• Like 1

Audi 2.0 16v 80 84-86. Vectra/astra calipers definatly way to go put a set of ferodo ds11 pads.

stop very well had them on my i240r

got same on my ascona a.

bolt on job is carlton 2.2 discs with carlton 2.0 calipers but these are sliders same as manta as the original 2.2 calipers are harder to find.

Good set of pads is a must DONT use apec or even cheaper makes.