South East 'drive It Day' Run 26Th April Anyone?

smiffy220

I'm determined this year to get the Pistachio one out ready for the National Drive it Day on 26th April. I've texted about 9 local members to me that I have numbers for, and hoping some more will see this and commit to commemorate this national day?

I haven't decided on a plan yet, I think we'll see what interest there is first, but I'm thinking a run out somewhere maybe through Kent and Essex, possibly into Suffolk, and a nice lunch etc? Open to suggestions.

Dave

Not just in Essex Jack, but trying to cover as much as possible of the South East area. Members from other areas only too welcome to join though!

Thought process so far:-

Meet up 10am ish for a 10.30 - 11am leave, perhaps somewhere that does a good brekkie in West Sussex? A nice drive, avoiding motorways where possible, through Kent and into Essex. (I know that means a motorway crossing, hence why I said where possible).

A drive up through Essex stopping for a pub lunch somewhere, then hopefully ending up just into Suffolk. Have an idea for an end venue, need to chat to someone first though!

So far:-

Me

Jay (Monk GTE)

Brian (davo)

Dom (Dom400)

Karl (paris gte) hopefully

Sounds fantastic, also if I lived nearer and you were going in your Green Manta I would at least be able to drive with another one :) which I cant do round where I live because there are none on the roads so I like the idea of that. Problem is its a very long way from me, I think you are around 3 hours away so that would be getting up at around 6:30 in the morning for me to be there on time. I want to come but maybe if there is a drive it day nearer to me? Enjoy yourselves but unfortunately I cant see me being able to make it. Let me know what cars you see and how many Mantas are out in the wild :)

Jack

Sounds fantastic, also if I lived nearer and you were going in your Green Manta I would at least be able to drive with another one :) which I cant do round where I live because there are none on the roads so I like the idea of that. Problem is its a very long way from me, I think you are around 3 hours away so that would be getting up at around 6:30 in the morning for me to be there on time. I want to come but maybe if there is a drive it day nearer to me? Enjoy yourselves but unfortunately I cant see me being able to make it. Let me know what cars you see and how many Mantas are out in the wild :)

Jack

Just a suggestion Jack but:-

Travel down to West Sussex on the Saturday and book into a cheap Travelodge type place.

Attend the event and if we end in Suffolk it should be at a reasonable time in the afternoon, so just a drive straight across the A14 and up the M1 home?

Just a thought mate.

have fun and enjoy jack if you do decide to do it ,it really will be a drive it day for you coming all that way. unfortunately I am unable to take part so will not see you but you will see me at billing in july manta or not.

its a shame as I had always fancied doing this event. but needs must I am afraid.

have fun and enjoy jack if you do decide to do it ,it really will be a drive it day for you coming all that way. unfortunately I am unable to take part so will not see you but you will see me at billing in july manta or not.

its a shame as I had always fancied doing this event. but needs must I am afraid.

Always bring one of the other cars Paul, doesn't have to be your Manta?

• Like 1

Just to throw in my 'four penny worth'

how about a multi start point? Your part of the run starts at somewhere in Sussex with breakfast, you then proceed north through the Dartfijord tunnel arriving at a set time at thurrock services.

From another breakfast starting point, perhaps somewhere in the south midlands another convoy starts to meet at Thurrock, perhaps convoys from other starting points could follow the same plan

From Thurrock everyone travels in convoy to a location in Essex ( or where ever ) for an afternoon meal.

I would love to do this but i propably will be otherwise engaged ( i always seem to want to be in two places at once, if only i could clone myself, though that thought might scare the lot of you !!! )

• Like 2

Just to throw in my 'four penny worth'

how about a multi start point? Your part of the run starts at somewhere in Sussex with breakfast, you then proceed north through the Dartfijord tunnel arriving at a set time at thurrock services.

From another breakfast starting point, perhaps somewhere in the south midlands another convoy starts to meet at Thurrock, perhaps convoys from other starting points could follow the same plan

From Thurrock everyone travels in convoy to a location in Essex ( or where ever ) for an afternoon meal.

I would love to do this but i propably will be otherwise engaged ( i always seem to want to be in two places at once, if only i could clone myself, though that thought might scare the lot of you !!! )

Good idea Ian, I'm looking for a suitable finish venue and put an idea to Simon. Might have to get you or another to organise routes for multi start points though? Many members in your area be interested?

I might have to deligate this onto someone else, i will probably be elsewhere on this date.

The first part need not be too formal, just an assembly point then onto the main assemble point ( Thurrock ??? ) by the easyest route.

The second part from the midday assembly point can be more interesting, and if everyone had a handout with the route on to the afternoon meal stop then people would not have to keep the Manta infront in sight all the time, plus if they knew the location of the meal stop and got totally lost they could go there dirrect.

It does not have to be someone from a particular area to organise a start point, someone from a long way off can make a stop at a convenient starting point to gather together everyone for a convoy to the midday assemble point.

Jack - which way would you head south? M1 or A1 ?? we could put you in charge of them from 'Oop norf' and the midlands. just off the top of my head, if you were coming down the M1 then Toddington services are good because there is junction 12 half mile north of it, someone from north of london could double back into the services. On the A1 there is a service stop north of Baldock on a roundabout under the A1, a main road from the west and from Cambridge connects there.

One thing i have learnt from experience assembling people for a convoy,  is as soon as people get out of thier Manta's at a stopping point and start chatting it takes three times longer than you would ever imagine to get everyone to stop talking and get back into thier cars.

So if for instance you tried to call in at every service station down the M1 you not get the convoy to Thurrock before midnight !!!

Any morning convoy must only have only one starting piont, a departure time rigidly addeard to that has allowances for traffic and time at midday for the grand assembly.

The grand assembly must have a set departure time and anyone who can not stop chatting gets left behind or everyone will be eating when they call last orders !!

I have been on a few 'drive it day' classic events and all of them have had a route map / book and set start time because they know without these half the drivers will not stop chatting till tea time and half will never find their way to the finnish !!

hope this works out because i think you have come with a great idea Smiffy, shame i will probably be somewhere else ( not car related )

• 2 weeks later...

This is such a great thing to do but I don't know if I can actually get down there or not due to distance. I don't know which way I would come down because I have never been that way before so I would have to go by which way the sat nav took me. Never been in a Manta convoy so this for me would be thoroughly enjoyable and I will have to see if I can get down there first.

Ok for Kent section how about from edenbridge we pick up the A264 towards tun bridge wells,onto A227 then onto A20 up pass brands hatch then onto the dartford crossing,ready to head over into Essex.

Edited by davo