What Carb To Replace The Solex

Daveyboy20

• 3 weeks later...

That looks mint plumster! On the lookout for a 32/36dgv then. Mine getting worse - auto choke has stopped working now but has been ok with a bit of coaxing, but now it seems to cut out the instant is fired up about 10 times before it'll catch! New cab needed asap - is my daily :o

Yeah, go for a 32/36 but why not fit manual choke and do away with all the faff of an autochoke? I did and have never regretted it.

If this is your daily, how come I am on Wirral and have never seen you?  Or is it by any chance the brown car that I was told had been seen on the A5117 and mistaken for mine?  Not many of us left still got a Manta/Cavalier as our daily!

BJ

Edited by Brown Job

Never seen your's either! I've had it a year last week - bought it on 88000 and now it's on 96000! Not bad for a 36 year old car! Is starting to complain though - I now spend 40 minutes a day on the motorway with 4 gears, engine singing at about 4000rpm, auto choke totally goosed, it doesn't like to start and is juddering too. I'm thinking weber carb and leccy ignition and 5 speed and she'll be awesome. Found this:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151482540505&alt=web

For another 20 quid they send the gasket, fuel pipe, filter, choke cable and bracket. Will it be ok on my lille 1600 seeing as it's jetted for a 2000?

Edited by Daveyboy20

Sounds good. Guessing a free flow filter will help match the extra fuel the jets will spray in?

Hoping for more power and better fuel consumption - the holy grail!

Is it a straight swap in terms of throttle cable? Also, with it being a mechanical fuel pump do you just loop the return pipe into itself? I don't think there's a return line on the cav?

Im currently (slowly) working on a weber conversion for my '78 1900 cavvy coupe. Got hold of a 32/36 dgv in exchange for a bit of signwriting - the carb was a brand spanker straight out of the box! Runs and idles pretty sweet even nowwith no changes to the jets, and I havent even hooked up the vac advance yet from the dizzy yet - the hose was too short! I havent sorted the throttle linkage yet though, which will need modding. In fact, Im not 100% sure on the best way to go with it - has anyone got any advice or pics on how they sorted theirs? The cav was on the standard zenith previously. 

Well, I can't remember the setup for the 1600, it was all too long ago (sold car over 25 years ago - gulp!).

But on the 1900, the Weber linkage and the Zenith linkage were are right angles to each other.  So i weighed it up a bit, decided that the metal on the Weber was malleable enough to stand it and (wait for this) bent it round through 90 degrees.  Job done.

On my 2000, the Weber was a straight swap for the Varash*t.

If the throttle linkage still ain't right after you mangled the carb by twisting bits round, don't blame me!

BJ

PS, Dave, if you look out on the motorway and/or Wirral roads for a couple of Cav 1 saloons, one in brown and one in green, that'll be me, I suspect.  But unless I'm doing conjuring tricks, you won't see 'em both at once.

But on the 1900, the Weber linkage and the Zenith linkage were are right angles to each other.  So i weighed it up a bit, decided that the metal on the Weber was malleable enough to stand it and (wait for this) bent it round through 90 degrees.  Job done.

If the throttle linkage still ain't right after you mangled the carb by twisting bits round, don't blame me!

BJ

Ha! Interesting... if a little alarming! thats a brand nw 32/36 Id be bending the **** out of! I'll have a look - and possibly a bend - next time Im up at the car :)