Mk1 Cavalier Sportshatch

Hi All

Just bought a Cavalier Sportshatch from ebay in quite unloved condition...and to my amazement whilst searching around found it was on here for a couple of years between 2009 and 2011...I buy and sell a few classics and is undergoing prep to bring it back to how it was when first on this forum..

• Like 1

Yep was the car i bought in May 2009 then joined the Manta Club in July 2009 at the annual Billing meet & haven't regretted one minute of the last 5 years.

This was what the Cav looked like when i sold it, if it's been left out in the open then i'll bet the front carpets will be soaking wet & the red paint will be flat as a pancake.

It had been de-badged before i owned it so i re-instated them.

It was in generally very god condition when i sold it in 2011.

I hope you can bring it back to the condition it was in when i sold it, please could you post up some pics of what it looks like now or would it be a bit upsetting  :(

billing%25202010%2520Cav%25202.jpg

Cavalier%2520Engine%2520bay.jpgCavalier%2520Jan%25202011%2520003.jpg

Cavalier%2520Jan%25202011%2520006.jpg

• Like 1

I saw these pics yeah and I think you would be rather upset at the minute lol, carpets were actually dry but yes the paint has gone really flat, headlights filled with water and other general problems with it being sat in a garden for years. Can not undestand why it had been left like it....I cant work out how to add pics from my phone onto here at the moment...

Hi Nigel, welcome to the forum, on uploading pictures you require a photobucket type account and upload them from there. or send them to a member like Rapierdave via an email and he will probably put them up for you. If you want to PM me, I will send you my email address and I can put them up for you.

It's a shame when someone buys a good car then lets it sit on their garden for two years deteriorating.

I sold it for £1000 in January 2011 with a short MOT & some minor problems. The good points about the car were a great interior, Zeibart rust proofed from new so no major rust.

Good mechanically apart from a difficulty in engaging reverse or first gear when cold which i believe was clutch drag.

The problem with Cavalier Sports hatches is they're not worth a great deal even when in good nick,, if HAU was restored she'd be worth £2500 tops & to get that she would have to be re-sprayed on the bonnet, roof & tailgate due to micro blistering in the previous re-spray.

If you do decide to restore her then sell her give me a call  ;)

Here are some pics of the rusty bits (not many) when i sold her.

Drivers side bottom of rear wheel arch

Cavalier%2520Jan%25202011%2520001.jpg

Fuel filler cap

Cavalier%2520Jan%25202011%2520002.jpg

Passenger side bottom of front wing

Cavalier%2520Jan%25202011%2520004.jpg

Yeah it was such a waste as I can see in 2011 it was pretty good! I paid £870 from ebay so quite strong money I guess.

Couldn't find anything else to compare it to though only a very good one up North for £2750...I have now sourced a downpipe gasket, just need new bolts. I have got all 4 shock absorbers as they are soft. Oil, oil filter, Plugs, Alt belt, got the original Vauxhall chrome letters for the back just need the upper badges but hard to source...once I get her mot'd I will be looking for about £1750 ish which I dont think is too bad...as you say there is microblistering about on the panels.

Also the headlights were corroded inside and the reflectors knackered so used some chrome paint to sort that.

Front tyres are still good but the rears are peeling themselves apart so also got 2 new ones for that...

The badges on the bootlid...are they original the ones on it? At the speed I work it probably won't be ready until spring anyways lol

Hi Nigel

Yes the tailgate badges are correct for that age of Cavalier, because she is a 1980 car she has head restraints & Vauxhall changed the "script" Cavalier badge for the more modern type which was also seen on the MK2 Cavaliers.

• 2 weeks later...