Affordable For You Jack? Manta Red Hatch In Manchester £1K

gtwist

Hi Geoff and thanks for posting. :D

I am sure that I have seen this one for sale a while ago and the problem is that it is a project. Having a project Manta is a great thing but I can't have a project Manta just yet because I can't store one anywhere and I don't have my own garage. :( I hope I have my own garage one day so I can buy a Manta like this.

Regards,

Jack.

• Like 1

This advert is old, infact it's over a year old, it's been recycled by the site. A friend knows the owner and he's not put it up for sale and knew nothing about it being put back on, so reading in-between the lines it's not for sale.

I did suspect this because I can remember seeing this a long time ago now, wonder where it is now?

Jack's enthusiasm is admirable.  I read in another post you are 22 years old.  I was 22 when I bought my first Manta , a black GTE coupe that had as many owners as years it had been on the road!!

I too could not initially afford one but "traded up".  I bought a car, ran it for a while, sold it for a profit then bought another one etc etc until I could afford one.  Having said that there were a lot more around to choose from then.  I look forward to your first post as an owner and good luck.

• Like 2

Jack's enthusiasm is admirable.  I read in another post you are 22 years old.  I was 22 when I bought my first Manta , a black GTE coupe that had as many owners as years it had been on the road!!

I too could not initially afford one but "traded up".  I bought a car, ran it for a while, sold it for a profit then bought another one etc etc until I could afford one.  Having said that there were a lot more around to choose from then.  I look forward to your first post as an owner and good luck.

Thanks alot Chris, I have a much better job now and like I have said in my status i'm now going to be earning 15k a year which to me is a very good wage so in terms of raising the money for a Manta it is very much doable now. I have a fear about using it in the snow though, I really want to because it will be tremendous fun being a rear wheel drive car but the Manta has roots of rallying in the snow and it makes sense to me. But I don't want to hurt it in any way with all the acid that they put in the road salt which is why I want to take it to Retropower and get them to protect it for me.

Jack.

• Like 1

It would definatly be good to see jack in a manta he wants and can afford, i expect it won't be long now.

words of advise don't go drifting on the road when you get your car you will probaby end up regretting it beleve me, but if you get it on a track or field ect have sidways fun.

Mike

Edited by MicsManta
  • Like 2

Take Mikes advice Jack.  Snow is to be avoided at all costs. They are crap in the snow and mixed in with the snow is the dreaded salt.  I will share something with you.  The first Manta I bought had four months MOT left to run when I bought it.  Come MOT time it passed no problem,  good job I thought.

A year later after lots of mileage as my daily driver going to see my then girlfriend a couple of times a week at uni a hundred mile round trip it went back in for MOT and the corrosion that had set in was eye watering.  I could never get over how quick it seemed to take hold but then as hindsight is a wonderful thing it was probably well on the way to rotting itself to oblivion.  From then on it was a constant battle to keep it going as a daily driver,

By the way I also live half a mile from the sea which probably didn't help.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 2

It would definatly be good to see jack in a manta he wants and can afford, i expect it won't be long now.

words of advise don't go drifting on the road when you get your car you will probaby end up regretting it beleve me, but if you get it on a track or field ect have sidways fun.

Mike

Don't worry I won't be drifting it because I haven't ever drifted a Manta so I won't know exactly how to catch it. The person who I know who owns my family Exclusive Coupe is a genuinely impressive driver and when he took me out in it we were sliding it round roundabouts. :D Will have to ask him for lessons first.

Take Mikes advice Jack.  Snow is to be avoided at all costs. They are crap in the snow and mixed in with the snow is the dreaded salt.  I will share something with you.  The first Manta I bought had four months MOT left to run when I bought it.  Come MOT time it passed no problem,  good job I thought.

A year later after lots of mileage as my daily driver going to see my then girlfriend a couple of times a week at uni a hundred mile round trip it went back in for MOT and the corrosion that had set in was eye watering.  I could never get over how quick it seemed to take hold but then as hindsight is a wonderful thing it was probably well on the way to rotting itself to oblivion.  From then on it was a constant battle to keep it going as a daily driver,

By the way I also live half a mile from the sea which probably didn't help.

The good thing is that where I live there wa no snow in my area last winter and hopefully if is given the best protection there should be a possible way of using it within these months. Or maybe if it's harsh with road salt I can be careful where I take it and wash all the salt off? Then when summer comes again I can practice dirfting. :):D Your right about the sea though. What do you think about what I said above about being careful and washing it off?

Get power-sliding, I live In a village so luckily it's dead quiet I got my manta in 2002 when I was 14/15, it was ace and at 16 I drove it about my mates farm, now 26/27 I thrash it about everywhere, boring watching them in a field all the time, yep I love shows but you can't beat driving them, it's a car and a good handling one at that. All you need jack is either a manta or something like an e30, a quiet rounderbout or a big Matalan car park (not that I would know of course) Start saving and remember pennies make pounds and cars are money pits especially mantas so the sooner you get oily and spanner rash the hands the more you will save yourself by learning in the long run. Nobody learns through reading really.

• Like 1

I'm an ex-rally driver, and mantas even catch me out in the snow! My advice, avoid snow in a manta at all costs! Not to mention the salt that will likely be about, taking a dreadful toll on your mantas underneath!

Since you are an ex-rally driver I will be coming to you for Manta control lessons. I hear what you are saying about  the snow but if there i snow on the  road and I need to get to work I will have to drive slowly because I only work round the corner, 5 mins drive. But why would it destroy my underneath if I take care of it and protect it and actually I am going to get it protected even in the summer now as well thinking about it because it will still rain at some point.

Get power-sliding, I live In a village so luckily it's dead quiet I got my manta in 2002 when I was 14/15, it was ace and at 16 I drove it about my mates farm, now 26/27 I thrash it about everywhere, boring watching them in a field all the time, yep I love shows but you can't beat driving them, it's a car and a good handling one at that. All you need jack is either a manta or something like an e30, a quiet rounderbout or a big Matalan car park (not that I would know of course) Start saving and remember pennies make pounds and cars are money pits especially mantas so the sooner you get oily and spanner rash the hands the more you will save yourself by learning in the long run. Nobody learns through reading really.

I am not as lucky as that but when I was 14-16 I was that lucky because that's how I got to drive alot more. There are some relatives of my mum and grandparents that own an entire farm and I was allowed to drive around it and that would have been a good place to get the Manta sliding, it was gravely as well so less grip. I haven't got a place like that anymore so it looks like roundabouts are going to be the practice places :D Also when I work on the Manta myself instead of sending it to a garage it will be a labour of love instead of a mechanic just doing a job but actually I would be more than happy to take it to Retropower to get any work done because they are passionate and know alot about a Manta. Like I said just need to figure out a way of using it without it getting hurt underneath because I would hate to lock it away during certain weather seasons.

Its good that your looking to protect the manta all year round. my advise about drifting was because i made the mistake of not purposely (he car acually undrsteered and then oversteered realy quickly) drifting te car on a contry lane and had a accident. before then then only time i had it sideways was around roundabouts, 90 degree sharp bends and the like (basicly every where i could providing i could see whats coming and thats my main advide) and i was never caught out dry or wet(even when i was 90 degrees to the road) and you have to consider i had no lsd, which is another piece of advise, if you can get a lsd do, open diffs are anoying to drift, lsd are more controlable i drove my mates e-34 525i sport and that was a bit more predicable.

anyway thats my experiance, i'm not saying that i'm a pro but i have alot of experiance with rear wheel drive(all but one of my cars have been rear wheel drive and my first and stil current car is a fiat 126 so its rear engine as well and  tell you that they do bite if you push them too far sideways ad beleve me you can get them sideways).

good luck with any mantas you buy and dive safe but have fun.

Mike

• Like 2

Its good that your looking to protect the manta all year round. my advise about drifting was because i made the mistake of not purposely (he car acually undrsteered and then oversteered realy quickly) drifting te car on a contry lane and had a accident. before then then only time i had it sideways was around roundabouts, 90 degree sharp bends and the like (basicly every where i could providing i could see whats coming and thats my main advide) and i was never caught out dry or wet(even when i was 90 degrees to the road) and you have to consider i had no lsd, which is another piece of advise, if you can get a lsd do, open diffs are anoying to drift, lsd are more controlable i drove my mates e-34 525i sport and that was a bit more predicable.

anyway thats my experiance, i'm not saying that i'm a pro but i have alot of experiance with rear wheel drive(all but one of my cars have been rear wheel drive and my first and stil current car is a fiat 126 so its rear engine as well and  tell you that they do bite if you push them too far sideways ad beleve me you can get them sideways).

good luck with any mantas you buy and dive safe but have fun.

Mike

Yes well I think protecting it all year round and making sure everything is in fine order all the time comes with owning a Manta. Even in the best weather conditions you might find a bit of rust coming through so thats when I will sort it straight away and stop it from spreading. I keep having to remind myself that Manta's can be 30 years old or more now even though it's hard to accept and believe. I have found out that it is the acid in the road salt that reacts with your Manta's metal causing corrosion so it's just a case of stopping that happening as much as possible. When you say you had an accident in yours don't tell me it was the picture of the White Coupe and the owner sat on a sign with his head in his hands. I can't emotionally look at the picture it's too much to bear. When I end up with a Coupe you can give me lessons as well as Dave Smith. :D

take care,

Jack.

Hi Jack most tracks do drift and skid control lessons now, the track down the road to me @Anglesey Circuit /tracmon

does one free to people aged 15-21.

Check out a track close to you and see well worth it, its so much fun once you get to grips with the how and where

to apply throttle control,looking out of the side window at where the car needs to go not having to stress if you get it wrong

as such a good feeling .

good luck with the car search also # colin

• Like 1

I have seen that picture of that whit exclusive coupe but my accident was compeletly different but with roughtly the same damaged areas but worse( i did not realy want to tell anyone on this site because t would probably make them cry but i ended going sidways into a bus at about 30mph after hitting a wall that spun the car but to show people that i can't drive when i hit the bus my front wheels were stering into the slide and i thought that was amazing considering i had no time(probably 2 seconds) to react after hitting the wall with the back of the car) i tell you now if the road was 10cm wider i would have drifted around that corner and missed the bus but bad things happen.

The only good thing was it was a lesson for me and one for me to teach to people like you who are up and coming.

I do feel sorry for that owner of that white coupe, i know how he feels.(my manta is a red hatch by the way)

I could give you lessons but 1 your too far a way realy and 2 only on a track but colin has a good point

Mike

Edited by MicsManta
  • Like 1

Hi Jack most tracks do drift and skid control lessons now, the track down the road to me @Anglesey Circuit /tracmon

does one free to people aged 15-21.

Check out a track close to you and see well worth it, its so much fun once you get to grips with the how and where

to apply throttle control,looking out of the side window at where the car needs to go not having to stress if you get it wrong

as such a good feeling .

good luck with the car search also # colin

Hi Colin sounds pretty good although I don't quite qualify for the free sessions because i'm 22. I don't suppose you could do this in your own car if you take it to the track? Might be a good idea to do this in the Manta if you could say to them that I would like to do this in my own car to get to grips with it because every car is different. Thanks for the advice, Jack.

• Like 1

I have seen that picture of that whit exclusive coupe but my accident was compeletly different but with roughtly the same damaged areas but worse( i did not realy want to tell anyone on this site because t would probably make them cry but i ended going sidways into a bus at about 30mph after hitting a wall that spun the car but to show people that i can't drive when i hit the bus my front wheels were stering into the slide and i thought that was amazing considering i had no time(probably 2 seconds) to react after hitting the wall with the back of the car) i tell you now if the road was 10cm wider i would have drifted around that corner and missed the bus but bad things happen.

The only good thing was it was a lesson for me and one for me to teach to people like you who are up and coming.

I do feel sorry for that owner of that white coupe, i know how he feels.(my manta is a red hatch by the way)

I could give you lessons but 1 your too far a way realy and 2 only on a track but colin has a good point

Mike

Hi Mike, I wouldn't really ask you for drifting lessons unless you happened to be in the passenger seat of my Manta then I might say "how could I drift it round this little corner?" Do you take your Red Hatch to Billing because I will have seen in before if you have but I remember seeing Steve Sutton's Red Hatch that has a Redtop in it. Dare I ask what happened to your Manta like did you get it back on the road again? The biggest disaster with my family Mantas is the Red Exclusive Coupe that my godfather owned and it used to belong to Chris Burt. I even remember the phone call when I was very young and he had bought it in immaculate restored condition for 2k. He owned it for literally weeks and then the big disaster happened which I don't have the heart to say what happened.  I appreciate all the advice by the way as well because it's a great thing to know and learn off other people's experiences with them. I could very easily become the youngest Manta owner because my godfather was 30 before he owned one even though he has owned 6 of them in total. Not sure if I will be able to ever let mine go!

Regards, Jack.

well i got may manta when i was 18 for £200. i still have the car but i have done some work to it but it will cost me a bomb if i get it straightend out because i have the pannel and a few bit and pieces for it but i bent the front chasis leg and bulkhead in. i would love to have the car on the road again beleve me it hurts everytime i see it(i see it every day because it's at work i our back yard) but i have two other classic cars (both fiat 126's one of which is my first car) so they are taking my time, attention and most of all money.

this is why i have said on here what i have said because i don't want ou to go through the pain but it is very imprtant to learn car control and that is why i used to drift my car.

I have never gone to billing, i was planning to this year after repairing my manta but thing happen.

Mike