Repairing Rear Window Seal

DiMarco

Hello All,

I am as you know putting my beast back together. Now I got to the point of putting the windows back in but I found that the windscreen needs a new seal so that is on order but I believe I still can use the old one. Now the problem I have is in the corners it is very crispy and got lots of small cracks as you can expect. Now I went into Halfords to find something to clean up the seals and was advised to use hot soapy water which I did. I was also advised to fix the cracks to put the window back in place and then put some head gasket black sealant to work into the cracks.

What are your thoughts on this subject is it a good idea or is there a better way someone has done?

Hello All,

I am as you know putting my beast back together. Now I got to the point of putting the windows back in but I found that the windscreen needs a new seal so that is on order but I believe I still can use the old one. Now the problem I have is in the corners it is very crispy and got lots of small cracks as you can expect. Now I went into Halfords to find something to clean up the seals and was advised to use hot soapy water which I did. I was also advised to fix the cracks to put the window back in place and then put some head gasket black sealant to work into the cracks.

What are your thoughts on this subject is it a good idea or is there a better way someone has done?

Washing Machine to clean old seals just dont get caught by the missus ;) It works a treat! :D and of course some good sealant :thumbup

Edited by CRAZYDAVE

Wait for the new one if you're not sure about the current one. The more times you have the glass in and out the more likely it may get cracked or chipped. I didn't do my rubber but have some tips on putting in the chrome if you're interested. 

Im with Mantney, wait for the new one and then do the job once. They are not the easiest things to put in. use you time on doing something else until the new seal turns up. You will also probably find the old one has shrunk and will not fit correctly around the corners anyway. If you need to seal the hole where the screen would go use something else until the new seal arrives.

I have done mine quite a few times and it something you want to do just once and do a proper job. There is a good chance of scratching, cracking things.

How long will the new one be?

Andy 

Im with Mantney, wait for the new one and then do the job once. They are not the easiest things to put in. use you time on doing something else until the new seal turns up. You will also probably find the old one has shrunk and will not fit correctly around the corners anyway. If you need to seal the hole where the screen would go use something else until the new seal arrives.

I have done mine quite a few times and it something you want to do just once and do a proper job. There is a good chance of scratching, cracking things.

How long will the new one be?

Andy 

Hi Andy,

I have ordered the front as it snapped in half but the rear is useable. But it has small cracks and such in the corners so I was finding a way to seal it to make it look better as it is in better condition now it has been cleaned just cracks all over the corners.

Hi Andy,

I have ordered the front as it snapped in half but the rear is useable. But it has small cracks and such in the corners so I was finding a way to seal it to make it look better as it is in better condition now it has been cleaned just cracks all over the corners.

If it has cracked and it's off the car replace it.

Well it is small cracks nothing big to make it not useable its just crusty but from putting it in the hot water it has loosened up the rubber and I believe I can use it.

If it is cracked and crusty it won't do it's job properly.

You will end up with water running down into the lower quarters and inner rear sill and rotting them our without you evening knowing.

The cost of a new seal is worth it

• Like 1

As Snowy says, they will leak. Its the bottom corners that dont seem to fit on old ones like the new ones do. And for what a £50 saving you will spent more time getting it right and still might have leaks and its the boot, back arch and sill it will leak into.

Sorry to sound like your mum nagging, but just buy a new one and have it done properly as it looks like a nice car you have and worth the bit extra.

Andy

• Like 1