More Xe Questions!

Ems

The techni-clutch clutch kit I got with my car has a thrust bearing that has a plastic part that fits onto the clutch release arm, all the 1.8 ones I fitted were all metal.  Is this part likely to be ok?

Which engine mount go on which side, one has a flat back and the other one is stepped.

How do you wire up the electric cooling fan, on with ignition or through a switch as there's nowhere on the Manta rad for a sensor.

Thanks

Patten  bearing will usually be plastic so as long as it fits it should be ok

Sorry can't help on the mounts,pic may help

Cooling fan, could be clever and have the rad modded to take a fan switch and wire via a 40amp relay or use an adaptor that fits in the top hose to run the fan

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/adjustable-fan-controller-thermostat

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/fan-controllers-thermostats/revotec-electronic-fan-controller

Hope that helps

Andy

Look for the aluminium radiator, I think it's radtech? They now come with a boss for a temp sensor. I had a boss welded into mine and fitted the sensor to activate the fan. But you can mount a tee in the rad hoses to do the same. Wire the fan via a relay as stated above.

The V style mount goes on the inlet manifold side, the big flat one on the exhaust side.

Silicone cooling hose kits are a good idea, available from retropower.

I used a Rover V8 bobbin mount on the drivers side engine mount for the right height so the engine sits low enough. I thing the ally mounts will only fit one way round (i tried swapping mine over side to side and they wont fit) they are the 1.8 mounts by the way.

I have fitted an electric fan using a simple relay kit and a switch on the dash board. My XE doesnt get that hot (think thermostat is goosed) but fan only used in traffic so never bothered fitting a thermostatic switch. I used a 1.8 radiator with a new core. Works a treat.

Thanks for the replies, I've already got the silicone hose kit from Retro Power got to sort out the heater as well after I fit the engine this weekend.

While I remember is it just the 1.8 dipstick you use or do you use the tube from the 1.8 as well?

I use 1.8 dipstick and tube, because then i'm sure its in the sump to the correct depth.

As your using silicone pipes i'd go for getting a temp sensor boss fitted in your radiator.

You could use an inline adapter pipe with a sensor screwed in (i have done several times) but just seems wrong to chop the new pipes.

I've never been a fan of the copper tube sensors that you stick down into the top pipe, it just looks wrong and can be a problem to seal sometimes.

Also i was told the sensor should be in the bottom of the radiator, and this makes much more sense to me.

You only want the fan to come on when the water coming from the radiator back to the engine hasn't been cooled enough.

No point turning the fan on when hot water enters the rad, it would be almost permanently on.

If you look at modern cars the sensor is always in the lower part of the rad.

• 1 month later...

Following on from my questions above:

I've had a adaptor fitted at the bottom of the rad for the fan temp sensor - what temperature range should the sensor be for switching on/off?

What internal diameter fuel pipe do I need for the XE, for the pipe that goes from the tank to the engine?

Thanks again

I pulled a second hand temp sensor out of a Calibra, but I am picking something out of an ecotec would be ok as well

getting a used one from the wreckers allows you to take the cable tail and connection plug at the same time.

I used 8mm coppernickle pipe for fuel lines with flare joints.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...