1975 Opel Manta S - 34K Miles

Guy Mcall

Hi all,

I have recently inherited a 1975 Opel Manta S, white, 30-40k miles on the clock. I have managed to take a few quick snaps but will be able to provide more in a couple of weeks.

Would anybody be able to advise a value for this or would anyone be interested in making an offer?

email me - guy_mcall@hotmail.com

3-e1406057648747.jpg

2-e1406057628462.jpg1-e1406057664843.jpg

Edited by Guy Mcall
  • Like 4

of all things one could wish to inherit eh. I wish I was that lucky too jack especially such an early one. all I am likely to inherit is a load of rubbish.

that's a seriously nice manta and its in the right place to be saved. good luck with the sale of that beauty .

There have been some rare Manta things on here recently hasn't there Paul, there was that rare interior of the Platinum color one and then there was some wheels for an A Series that someone had been looking at getting. The early A Series wheels are really rare.

I think your hatch as well Paul is in a rare color?

• Like 1

Obviously it'd be worth a chunk more if the mileage can be proven, usually with old MOTs and such. Especially given how this is the first registration year of the B-series. The Manta I own now, was advertised as 35k miles but I knew instantly when seeing it, it's been around the clock and I've seen loads on ebay which clearly have been around the clock, but from this photo, the gearknob looks very worn, the pedal rubbers (from what we can see of them) are not, so hard to tell.

Edited by Rick-Manta

Obviously it'd be worth a chunk more if the mileage can be proven, usually with old MOTs and such. Especially given how this is the first registration year of the B-series. The Manta I own now, was advertised as 35k miles but I knew instantly when seeing it, it's been around the clock and I've seen loads on ebay which clearly have been around the clock, but from this photo, the gearknob looks very worn, the pedal rubbers (from what we can see of them) are not, so hard to tell.

I know what you mean, I saw a Red Coupe at Billing which had 9k on the clock and looked absolutely stunning, really imaculate. But my friend told me that it was his old Manta from years back and he said it had been round the clock. Had me fooled though.

• Like 1

I assure you the mileage is that low my uncle never use it and I'm pretty sure he brought it from new. I will get hold the the MOT certificates.

Assume the mileage is genuine and the condition is good - looks like there are rust spots in the paint, what value should I be looking it?

• Like 1

I think that as with all classic cars the true value can only be judged by a proper detailed inspection of every detail of the car. That said, if you can prove the mileage, get it running and driving, or even with a current MOT that should bring fairly strong money. It used to be the early B was not that sought after but that seems to be changing.

Please bear in mind if you sell it as a non runner though that there can be an awful lot of time and expense in getting a stored car back on the road.

Anyone buying this will eventually have a great example but in my experience cars don't like to be laid up and for a long time after recommissioning little gremlins step in to spoil your fun. But once you get those out of the way you have a real belter of a car the equal of any similar miles modern and so much better looking.

As has been said try to get it MOT'd so that it can be driven away by the new owner.

Then give it a good wash and Vac & T-Cut out the rust marks on the paintwork to show the car off to its best advantage.

Take twelve good pictures of the car then advertise it on Flea Bay.

With an MOT & running if its in good time warp condition it should be worth around £3000

Without an MOT & as a non running recommission it would probably fetch around £1200 as long as its been cleaned & is presented well in the pictures.

The day of the £500 bargain Manta B is long gone.

This is what you need to take pictures of for people to gauge its condition & value.

Front chassis leg (Swan Necks)

20130607_162953.jpg

20130607_163015.jpg

Sills

20130607_163023.jpg

Rear wheel arches

20130607_163033.jpg

Try also to get pictures of the engine bay area

This is a rare Manta but that doesn't necessarily mean its worth more money as its the less desirable poverty spec model but it is a manual gearbox which will help with the sale.

I hope it sells to someone who will keep it original 

• Like 1

These early b series are really drool over machines. im used to later c series. and guy if you had seen daves white one above it may convice you to keep it once you see what he has done with it. its stunning and I spent ages looking at it at the vboa two weekend ago. can I make a suggestion to fellow manta people . perhaps someone can bring ian vircos attention to this as he is very very well versed in the early manta b series. and he will be able to give all the right answers.

paul

sorry to hijack this thread but repling to young jack.

indeed jack I know that interior you mean its the Chicago grey material but in a kind of beigy colour. yes it is a rare interior and I don't remember seeing it much (sometimes I wish I had started taking notice of manta related things before I did) .

on the subject of the colour of my hatch again as of late has been the topic of conversation several times. it was not produced for very long that colour steel grey apparantely . I have never seen another manta at billing the same colour . only on the net or in a magazine.

given that and being an automatic .again much discussion has been had about how rare automatics have become. make it an unusual one eh jack.

paul

sorry to hijack this thread but repling to young jack.

indeed jack I know that interior you mean its the Chicago grey material but in a kind of beigy colour. yes it is a rare interior and I don't remember seeing it much (sometimes I wish I had started taking notice of manta related things before I did) .

on the subject of the colour of my hatch again as of late has been the topic of conversation several times. it was not produced for very long that colour steel grey apparantely . I have never seen another manta at billing the same colour . only on the net or in a magazine.

given that and being an automatic .again much discussion has been had about how rare automatics have become. make it an unusual one eh jack.

paul

Yours is an awesome Manta and I had a good look round it at Billing and I think I voted for it. I thought it was an Automatic by the way it sounded when it set off as you were going up and down the road at Billing on the last day when there was only yours and the i200 left!

Automatics are indeed very rare especially the Exclusive Coupe Automatics, it feels so weird now that my godfather had one and I have been out in it plenty of times. To think how rare they are now is amazing.

You will have to let me have a sit in yours one day so I can feel the rareness. :)

Did you see me taking Ian's Manta for a drive to the display field?

Jack.

• Like 1

hi jack indeed ever since I first saw and had a drive of my manta auto. long before I actually owned it I was hooked and officially became a lover of the auto.

I was meant to ask you to come with me or go for a run and try an auto as I had seen you driving ians manual hatch. yes theres a sure fire way of telling that as the exhaust note lets you know its auto :)  I feel a bit dumb now not really thinking to ask you if you wanted a go but hey theres always next time eh jack. oh and btw many thanks for voting for me.

kind wishes paul

hi jack indeed ever since I first saw and had a drive of my manta auto. long before I actually owned it I was hooked and officially became a lover of the auto.

I was meant to ask you to come with me or go for a run and try an auto as I had seen you driving ians manual hatch. yes theres a sure fire way of telling that as the exhaust note lets you know its auto :)  I feel a bit dumb now not really thinking to ask you if you wanted a go but hey theres always next time eh jack. oh and btw many thanks for voting for me.

kind wishes paul

Hi Paul, i'm always up for a Manta drive thats very kind of you so thanks for that. My friend Martin who was there for the day has an awesome Manta. It's the same as Ian's but it is the GT/E and not the Berlinetta, goodness me that sounds nice it's got a Sportex system on it. Yes there is always next time but Billing is only once a year! I miss every Billing I go to madly every time it ends. It needs to be on forever. :D

I noticed your Manta was struggling to keep running, it cut out 5 times just trying to reverse it, have you found out what it was? When it cleared it's throat it stayed on. I know my godfathers Auto Manta kept stalling but that was due to a worn out torque converter so it just kept stalling. Yours sounded fine though when it had a chance to rev.

I hope to see your Manta again before Billing, if you take it to any other shows i'll see it there.

Regards,

Jack.

Let's get this back to a car for sale now. Your always best when selling to get an mot, as mentioned before pictures of all the bits that usually rot out would be better. Maybe there's somebody near who could come and have a look? Good luck with the sale. Dan.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up the V5 today very exciting to see it was registered in October 1975 and was brought by my uncle in 1976 so only 2 previous owners. I'm going to view the car tomorrow to see if it starts. Will hopefully have lots of photos shortly.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

just got the car back to mine.

I can confirm it has 55k miles [have all MOT certs for proof], 4 speed manual, was built in 1975 owned since 1976.

Will have a clean and put up some photos of the progress this weekend/early next week.

• Like 2