Dolphin Grey Exclusive Coupe On Ebay

Platinum was never a colour, the grey type names were, dolphin grey, anthracite and steel grey

Dolphin Grey paint code 84L 1986 - 1989

Anthracite " " 81L 1980 - 1987

Steel Grey " " 82L 1986 - 1989 AND....

Platinum " " 50L 1986 - 1989

The dates given on my list may not be accurate, Dolphin Grey i'm certain started at an early date and Steel Grey didn't even last a year making Manta's in this colour rare cars. The first three grey Colours have paint codes close to each other but Platinum seems to be isolated in the list suggesting that is was not considered part of the grey range

• Like 2

Dolphin grey was an exclusive colour only and I am sure it was only a 2ltr colour (I might be wrong). Steel grey was in the GT/E range i think as was anthracite. I am still going to stick my neck out and say platinum wasn't a colour

I've owned a dolphin grey 1800 hatch (none exclusive).

I think you got what ever colour you wanted from the list available at the time if it meant you'd buy a new car.

I owned a Hatch in Dolphin Grey and it was not an Eclusive, GTE on a C plate. Not sure Dolphin Grey was used on Exclusives, Platinum was not just a one off special order as i have seen several Exclusive in this silvery grey colour and it deffinately is lighter than Dolphin Grey which in turn is lighter than Anthracite, Steel Grey is a very rare colour, never seen a Manta or for that matter any other car at Billing in this Bluish grey colour

Steel Grey

OMOC1.jpg

Dolphin Grey

P1010234.jpg

Platinum

opel__manta_b_exclusive_gsi_1986_2_lgw.j

I'd say the one in the ad is Dolphin Grey. It was definitely used on Exclusives.

And you have seen a Steel Grey one Ian, there was a hatch parked a couple down from Sutty's at Billing this year belonging to gt/e paul if I remember right!

• Like 3

Nice one, well always learning and yes Ian your correct ;-) how nice is that platinum colour, any kicking about in this colour?

Well i know one thing for sure its a cracking motor,if i had not over committed on my keeper manta if thats possible.

i would of gone for this one. :wub:

Yes, I think it's steel grey. Platinum was the colour that replaced White Gold, it was a lighter gold, and Platinum GT/Es had the colour coded Ronals in the same way as the White Gold ones. Some of you may remember my scruffy GT/E hatch "Ratty", that was Platinum.

DSCN0127.jpg

It also had the rather wonderful Chicago Beige interior

DSCN0034-1.jpg

Edited by 1900SR
  • Like 2

The Hatchback looks really good and the seats in it look really good as well. I've never been in a Manta with these seats before, the Coupe on Ebay looks very much like a Dolphin Grey one to me.

The beige seats are really rare, and may have contributed to the car's demise, as it was worth more on it's own that the car was whole at the time. One of the cars I wish I hadn't sold,but at the time I couldn't afford to do the work required to keep it on the road.

Sorry, I meant the demise of that particular one, the guy who bought it from me broke it for spares. I think I've only ever seen one other set of them, but I cant remember what car it was in. I remember seeing one other platinum hatch at Billing a few years ago, might have been in that, and there was a platinum coupe in King's Lynn a few years back that I think went to Ireland, so may have been that one. I do remember that at least one of those cars had the grey interior though.

indeed as spriney norman has pointed out my hatch is steel grey. quite funny reading down and seeing mantaman say that he had not seen one. especially as i was speaking to him and i was only a couple of cars down from him.

i had no idea this colour was so rare, i have seen others ages ago in steel grey but it was a long time ago now.Picture138.jpg

• Like 1

quite funny reading down and seeing mantaman say that he had not seen one. especially as i was speaking to him and i was only a couple of cars down from him.

I have an 1800 hatch in steel grey and in my imagination the grey was 'bluer' than yours, spent so much time talking i didn't chance to look at all the Manta's carefully !

I do remember the Platinum colour being refered to as Silver Sand back in the day.

• Like 1