Opel Manta 2.0 Gte Coupe Free To Collector

percydood

Yes, you read that right! I'm giving away my beloved Manta to anyone willing to come and collect it.

As you can imagine, it's not very tidy anymore....

Quite a few years ago, I took the car off the road to rebuild it following some MOT work. The rebuild never happened. I took most of the interior out and it got left at that. Sadly, the elements have taken their toll on the poor old girl and it's looking a bit sorry for itself.

I still have almost all the bits (dotted around the place. Please give me time to assemble them all together!) including the grey Recaros. Needless to say, the seats will need some fairly serious cleaning given the passenger's is in the shed, the driver's in the car (still bolted down) and the rears in the loft. The carpet is in the loft, too. The driver's seat right-hand-bottom side cushion has compressed due to getting in and out and probably needs new sponge.

The wheels are original and in pretty good condition, in white, the same as the car. In fact, the tyres still have air in despite being parked for over 10 years!

I bought the car with the quad headlight conversion. Due to damp and stuff, the silver on the reflectors has peeled away and I doubt the lights themselves are any good because of it. The cowlings are good though (I managed to break one of them once by driving into a petrol pump. I broke the pump, too!). The inside of the nearside cowling will show signs of my repair but the outside is good.

The bad news.

It has a factory sunroof and steel worm got into the aperture seam some years ago. I had the seam cut out and new metal welded in. It was a stunning job. But the rot came back and now the sunroof aperture is peeling red metal! I think it renders the roof fairly useless without some serious skill to repair it.

The good news.

I had a Scorpion stainless steel exhaust fitted while it was on the road and you can have that (it's still on the car...). If I can find it, there's a K&N washable air filter that I won't be needing so that's yours, too.

The engine was working when I parked it but it wouldn't start the last time I tried (a long time ago!) so I can't say if it's any good anymore. I suspect that it is but I won't promise anything. I never had any problems with the gearbox or axle.

So, the long and the short of it, it was working great when it came off the road but it's deteriorated pretty badly since then. And now it's covered in algae...

If you want it for spares, that's fine. If you want it as a rebuild project, rock on! In any case, if you want it, you'll have to come and get it and take it as seen. I make no guarantees about any of it which is why I don't want any money. Access to it is restricted because of the access road so you'll need a winch and some clever thinking. I hired a breakdown lorry to bring it here so one of those can get to it but it's at 90 degrees to the road (if you can imagine what I mean, you can't reverse a lorry up to it and winch it on. It'll need turning).

Oh, there's a car cover you can have, too if it's any good anymore. I bought it while I was in the USA. It's too big for the Manta but I used it anyhow.

I'll try and get some photos up if anyone wants them.

If nobody wants it, the scrap man will be getting a call and he'll be getting a free Scorpion exhaust.

I'm located in Wiltshire, UK and I'll send you address details should you decide to come.

Cheers

Daryl.

Edited by percydood

Hi Daryl, If I had somewhere to put this I would collect it now! Still trying to get my first manta. Where abouts are you because my friend has got a coupe project and if you still have some of the elusive parts that are hard to get for example the rear infill panel, then some of the parts may be of great use to my friend.

Otherwise I hate the sound of your Manta been sent to the scrapyard no matter how bad the condition is.

really hope that someone on the club has got the space to put this and maybe even put it back on the road.

Jack.

You're more than welcome! I used to be in the club and I know how hard it can be to get parts. I've no idea how tricky it is now but I suspect it's just got worse. I'd love to think my car would get rebuilt but beggars can't be choosers and it wouldn't be right not to offer it to OMOC first.

• Like 2

Thanks for the interest everyone. My car has been claimed and is no longer available. I shall be saying goodbye to it this weekend.

It turns out, I've owned that car for 21 years!! I don't think I'll ever own a car that long again.

Still, it has to go and it's great to know that folks here at OMOC are keen to have it and make use of it.

Again, thanks for the interest and I hope your projects go well.

I think I might come to Billing the next time it's on.

Cheers

Daryl.

• Like 2