1978 Manta Sr Berlinetta - Australian Version!

GTREA

Buy a Manta they say, it'll be fun they say........

After a quick look under that front end for that picture I can safely say the inspection guys here are going to have a coronary.....cars here just don't deteriorate like that.

Then I will want to punch them in the head because there arrogant assholes at the best of times! :)

It is easier for me if I can get licensed as is, because once it is licensed then it never has to go back for any yearly inspections, and I can fit the V8 drive it around, refine it and then when ready put it over for inspection so it's licensed legally with the V8.

We'll I did say I wanted something to tinker with....I think this more than qualifies :)

• Like 1

Thanks Derek ;)

I am actually really keen to get the car and (strangely) can't wait to get it stripped down to see just how bad it is

I don't normally name my cars....but I am going to call this Manta 'Steve Austin'.

Not because it will cost 6 million dollars (although may come close!)

But because I can rebuild it, I have the technology, its going to be *better than it was before, faster than it was before, better, faster, stronger :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7zNY0I5JNI

*actual results may vary

• Like 4

I think your right about the photos used on ebay. Check all the areas Mantas are known to rust in as the outside shots confirm the usual areas have already been got at. Maybe the floors will be better but unfortunately until you get her apart you will never know the full extent of the rot.

Good luck, look forward to watching the progress.

Yeah if you look at the bootlid dent now

9928706025_5536066602_b.jpg

vs his eBay ad

$(KGrHqJHJE0FF1giFgv3BRi6OCGJ(!~~60_12.J

It looks like he's had a botched attempt at fixing and there is certainly more rust evident.

Would also explain why the owner denied my request for more close up photos if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0973_zps62689302.jpg

IMG_0972_zps1d5fdbec.jpg

IMG_0971_zps9b1fddc4.jpg

IMG_0970_zps1e0c003a.jpg

This piece made it all the way from Glasgow before deciding to fall off on my driveway all on its own!

IMG_0969_zps55969fb8.jpg

^ Newish Weber carb, free to anyone that might want it....remembering i'm in Perth....................Australia!

IMG_0964_zps0033f419.jpg

IMG_0962_zps2de525b2.jpg

Edited by GTREA
  • Like 1

thats a really good Manta you've got there, alright there is rust but this can be cured, not without a fair amount of work admittedly, by any competent restorer, the things you cant get you have, an excellent interior, all the external fitting in good order etc, Yes you will have work to do but this car is a excellent starting point to make the perfect Manta.

• Like 2

And an equally shitty walkaround video of the car when I got it home :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIXzS9_DpVc

These are the wheels I have decided on at this stage

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WHEEL-VINTIQUES-15-x-8-PAINTED-HOLDEN-GTS-MONARO-WHEEL-/321219286914?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aca295782

b300_2.JPG

Thats the grey version, they come in a Black and silver finish also.

Edited by GTREA
  • Like 1

Had a few things on the past few days, but the stripping of the Manta begins in earnest today!

Heres a little video of us picking it up :)

http://youtu.be/I5wEkS39BpY

Julian: I will see if I can get a price for postage for you.

Enjoyed the vid, not bad for a 1st time towing, at 60 MPH too!! how many miles was it? I'm looking forward to watching the progress of this Manta, you've got your priorities right, wheels first, bodywork later!!!!

Get stuck in there.

My younger brother moved out to Brisbane a couple of months ago, but he happened to write his Manta off before he went, well another car went into the side and changed the shape of it, looked like a banana!

Edited by Julian

It was about a 25km tow back home, the Manta has new brake lines fittings and calipers by the looks, so took a chance, seemed to pull up ok

Hahah yeah bodywork first, but I am always thinking about the finished product.......keeps me motivated :)

IMG_1038_zps11558519.jpg

IMG_1040_zpsea7a5525.jpg

With the Carby, based on 15cm x 15cm x 15cm and 4.5kg its coming in at £74 airmail or £37 sea mail?

I will get some pics of it tomorrow.

Some progress over the last week.

Engine out

1381643_10151691033438342_27396907_n.jpg

Dodgy hired engine crane which was at maximum lift here meant I had to climb in engine bay and manhandle Auto over front panel whilst simultaneously push the car and engine crane backwards, no one around to help....fun times!

IMG_1081_zps6be57cd7.jpg

On the cars last MOT it had an advisory item 'Corroded front spring'....well guess what!

IMG_1086_zps2e7e2264.jpg

Most of my time has been spent removing that Rubbery undercoating so the car can be bead blasted, what a shit job!, using a heat gun, Electric scraper and wire wheel at the moment, and im stripping the inside of a wheel well back to bare metal in about two hours, all 4 are now done, and I shall move underneath next week (oh Joy!)

IMG_1079_zps2a4a69b4.jpg

IMG_1082_zps02634b31.jpg

Few previous repairs

IMG_1083_zps5f710b0d.jpg

IMG_1085_zpsdaeba3f2.jpg

So far I will need two new rear arches, 2 front guards, front valance and swan necks.

IMG_1077_zpsc3c4f652.jpg

• Like 2

Also measured up the engine bay for the 1UZ-FE engine.

Using the front sump 1UZ, I think if I move the motor forwards 90mm, the sump will clear the steering rack, theres a 290mm gap in the Manta between the steering rack and the front swaybar, the 1UZ sump is 264mm long, so.....should slot it the gap neatly *fingers crossed*

Moving the motor forward is not ideal for handling, but I don't really give a damn about that in this car, and even sat forward it will still sit further back than a straight 6 would in a Manta.

Ok shits gettin real....Just bought a smashed Toyota Soarer, $1200AUD

1377583_10151705715913342_2016319112_n.j

IMG_1101_zpsbac6bf48.jpg

IMG_1100_zps378f4674.jpg

Interestingly the fuel tank location is exactly the same as the Mantas, and has the built in EFI pump, so will attempt to adapt that to the manta, for ease and cost saving.

Might also try and adapt the front discs and calipers.

Trial fitment within a month I would say, can't wait to see if it fits :)

• Like 2

Not given up just yet Julian! :)

I put in about 2hrs a day on it at the moment.

Today I removed the Vinyl roof and wheeled her out side to degrease the underside and engine bay (something I thought my 'super dooper' $700 customs hi pressure clean would have taken care of...!)

Does not look like i've achieved much but most of my time has been spent underneath cleaning and scraping, most of the interior is now out and sound deadening removed also

IMG_1107_zpsca962a8b.jpg

IMG_1106_zps311e755c.jpg

IMG_1110_zpse92175d8.jpg

Car has had a new roof welded on at some stage

Definately a scottish car, I found exactly NO money under the carpets :( but did find a perfectly preserved organ donor card from 1982!

Leaving most of the stuff in the engine bay until we trial fit the new motor in a few weeks

• Like 3

Definately a scottish car, I found exactly NO money under the carpets :( but did find a perfectly preserved organ donor card from 1982!

:lol: That comment gave me a laugh we're not that bad! Best of luck with the project it looks great so far! :D

Edited by CRAZYDAVE
  • Like 1