Swan Neck Mot Repair

Redrobie

Right, my car just failed its MOT for corrosion in what I guess is the swan neck chassis rail on the driver side. First thing is this normal for one side to go and the tester to say the rest of the car is near perfect? More important thought is where do I get a repair panel that will be an easy fit? I have a week as I am on holiday then and need the car for an event the next week. My bodyshop can probably patch it up but I really would like it done right with good quality panels. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob.

It all depends where the rot is on the swan neck as to how accessible it is to repair without stripping the front end out.

If it was me from what you have said I would get it patched for now,so you can use it next week.

Then look at doing it properly when your not working to a time scale. You know what it's like u do one bit then find another!!

But if the car is that good then a little patch may be all it needs

I agree with Davo, if your working to a deadline get it patched to get the MOT. If the repair is near to where the sub frame bolts in then an awful lot of car has got to be removed to make a proper lasting repair.

Hi, yeah it's around the big mounting bolt area and I think a bit further up too. I am okay with pulling the engine and suspension down to do the job properly when we have more time. My question really is to find who does these repair sections, who produces the best fit and easy repair, and is there enough difference to make it worth searching out one particular supplier. I have not been to a Billing, well last year and got turned away at the gate, and don't know if I can get there this year. If I can get there is this likely to be my best source for the sections? Lots of questions really. Sorry.

Bob.

Retropower can source a swan neck repair for you. They are not the best of pattern parts and will need some fettling to fit nicely, and bear in mind that they only go about 10 inches above that bolt hole and might not cover all of the repair area. If the leg is split by corrosion from within you can bet you'll have to cut quite a but of metal to find a good point to weld to. Often a nicley made repair plate from a piece of sheet steel taylored to your hole is a better way to go, especially if the rust is not too bad

Hi.

Also have a look here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/136927209764595/

TREVOR.jpg

TREVORCHASSISLEG.jpg

scroll down page and you will find repair to chassis leg & method for template by Trevor Lewis and work involved. And as above Retropower.

They should pop up if doing a search on e-bay UK or .de Germany, .ne Holland.

cheers rab.

Edited by Rab
  • Like 1

Eckhard from Germany still makes complete chassis rails (supplied in 2 halves) and inner strenghtener. I think upk used them when rebuilding his coupe. He's a forum member and he'll ship them to GB. It may seem a bit extreme but if the rest of the shell is perfect it may be worth doing a proper job

Edited by Autocrosser

The repair sections I used are not a quick fit job but they are very good. If you have a week holiday the last thing you want to be doing is spending the whole week on your car due to a deadline, that's what us rally nuts do and it can be stressful!

Just patch it up with steel plate for the time being and it will do the job fine for now.

Of cause if you post a picture of the offending section we could give a more informed opinion!

You can see how bad mine were and the eckhard panels here

http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/23539-manta-b-project-underway/

Edited by upk

as above, I "can" source a repair section, but to be honest, I have never used one or sold any, as they are crap!

The "eckhard" ones look very good though I have never used them either.

To be honest, we just fabricate the rails complete (inners then outers) from scratch, as every car need a different amount replacing (usually a lot though!) and that way it can be done to look 100% standard with no evidence of repair afterwards.

• Like 1

Hi, all. Thanks for all this. I cannot get pics of the area now as I am away all weekend, then atwork all next week before going to the Alps fora holiday ( no unfortunately not in the Manta ). The car is at my sons bodyshop to be plated somehow to get an MOT. I do want to repair the car properly as soon as I can as the car does get used quite a lot for work as well as fun at the weekend. Looking at your thread UPK my swan necks are probably like new in comparison. There is a small hole on the outside near the bolt, one about three or four inches further up the panel and one on the inside again near the bolt. I have a bit of experience with rusty metal, I used to own and restore old Triumphs, so am aware that the rot will be far more extensive than it now appears. If I can get my son on the job, he is pretty busy so fitting it in is hard, I will get the area stripped of paint and rust then cut back to solid metal and put plates in. I think maybe if he can do a neat job I may accept that for now. If I keep a close eye on it and also fill the panels with cavity wax I hope it will last very well. The rest of the shell is really solid. Still looking for a pair of really good doors and a bonnet but that is for a future time. I need this all done next week so I can get the MOT next Saturday before I go away.

Bob.

if its not too bad you will probably be able to cut out a larger section of the outer layer, then cut out the rot in the inner bit, replace it with a new bit welded in flush and dressed back, then weld in a new outer section, again flush and dressed back, and it'll be pretty tidy