1976 Manta Coupe.

steely dan

1976 Opel Manta Coupe .

An opportunity to buy a rare, unusual and possibly unique Opel Manta Coupe.

Purchased by myself in 1978 in standard 1600 SR specification it was used for only four months until I was given my first company car and then used and maintained sparingly as a hobby car from that day to this.

It has covered a genuine and warranted 59 thousand miles from new.

Many thousands have been lavished on it during my ownership keeping it in absolute immaculate and 100% totally rust free condition.

The car has evolved over the years to its current specification which includes,

2.0 CIH block with 2.2 internals.

Bosch Le fuel injection

5 speed model 240 Gertrag gearbox.

Calibra Turbo front calipers with Sierra RS500 discs.

Granada rear disc conversion.

EBC green stuff pads front and rear.

Uprated dampers on lowered & uprated springs

17inch Azev A’s with Yokohama A532 tyres.

Full Recaro tartan interior.

“Faux “ wood trim has been fitted but this can be removed and the car returned to standard trim spec in minutes.

The body was last restored in 1990. I dismantled the car and stripped the shell to bare metal after removing the vinyl roof and early B series bright trim. New wings, doors and a bonnet were fitted.

The car was then professionally painted in 2 pack Cardinal Red.

The body and paintwork are as perfect today as they were then with no blemishes on the car whatsoever.

The underside has been properly painted several times over the years using chassis paint and Schutz + Stone chip. Copious quantities of Waxoyl have been properly applied & injected into every cavity at regular intervals throughout the cars life.

Bespoke moulded front inner arch liners were fitted in 1984.

All suspension components have been powder coated or painted.

The car has covered less than 2 K miles in the last 10 years, prior to that it was three years in professional vehicle storage (read, expensive!) and has never been driven in the rain unless caught out.

It is started, driven and exercised regularly.

It has been garaged every single night since I purchased it and for the last 13 years kept in an air filtered and dehumidified, Airchamber.

I have a full and comprehensive history of the car over the years containing all documents, certificates, receipts and more. The new owner will also receive my written personal history of the car and a disc containing photographs of it over the almost 35 years.

A package of spares, many very rare and valuable, is included in the sale.

Cooling system rebuilt this year inc. new water pump, hoses and thermostat housing etc.

I could write much more about the car but if you are really interested in it call me and I will answer all questions.

The car is in Ireland but close to Kerry Airport with direct Ryanair connections to Stanstead and Luton. Alternatively I can collect from Cork City Airport. Accommodation can be arranged at a neighbours B&B to allow proper viewing.

Call Don on 03553 64 6640740 Home

00353 879219576 Mobile

No later than 9pm please.

Price € 8000 Euro or £ 6500 Sterling .

Further photos upon request .

IMGP0007.jpg

IMGP0021.jpg

IMGP0013.jpg

IMGP0016.jpg

100_0577.jpg

Edited by steely dan
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Eh, hmmm!!! That's quite interesting. A very rare classic Ferrari I had owned for years ended up in Australia. If for some reason the sale is not completed can you let me know? Thanks, Martin.

Sorry Martin sale is long completed and much of the money spent on my E24 BMW ................................ :)

Bye the way is that Martin from Glasgow ? if so you had your chance to buy it but disappeared..............

Yes it's the same Martin from Glasgow south side. Tax man, moved previously agreed program of payments over a 6 month period to tax year end, April, on the 2nd of January, to immediatly, so the funding for the manta went to them. Not happy, but what could I do? I know how difficult selling cars can be, so I thought best not to pester or annoy you until fundings were back in place. My loss unfortunately. I own a BMW B6 alpina from new, E63. Newish M3 E92, at 480bhp, VW passat CC GT170 tdi at 230bhp, the last Vauxhall astravan sportive xp, 1 1/2 years old 400 miles. BMW coupes I always thought as a modern day Manta, ( not quite the same ). Don't mean to offend anyone. I wish Vauxhall/Opel would make a new modern Manta model like many other manufactures in the world. If your car is sold to Australia why is it still in Ireland? Many thanks again and kind regards, Martin.

You missed out there Martin , I sold the car in January after you didn't call back and agreed to hold it for the new owner until April.

Re the car still being in Ireland ? I know the reason but with all respect that's the new owners business.

• 2 weeks later...

To Perth you say!

I want to import one myself and would love to see this car and have a chat with the new owner when it gets here, it would be great if you could pass on my email address to the new owner realj@tpg.com.au

I doubt anyone else in Perth would want to talk Mantas haha :)

• 3 weeks later...

To Perth you say!

I want to import one myself and would love to see this car and have a chat with the new owner when it gets here, it would be great if you could pass on my email address to the new owner realj@tpg.com.au

I doubt anyone else in Perth would want to talk Mantas haha :)

We've got a few Mantas in New Zealand if you are interested?

An OpelForum member's Senator B recently sold to a car museum in Perth, so there are evidently Opel enthusiasts around Aussie and even in Perth too! ;)