J R's 2.4 Hatch Project

andyc

I'll start a new thread as the last one was for last year. So this time round the Remitt from John was

Strip Engine bay, tidyup and respray

Fit new 2.4 CIH engine with full 1.5 motronic Engine managment

Fit Corsa Electric Coloum

Upgrade Electrics

Re-wax under body

Stop water leakinging inro the cabin

Ok so first job once the engine bay and cabin were stripped was to fit the canister and pipework for the fuel evaporation system which involved fitting a charcol canister to the o/s inner wing and running the pipe work back to the tank, pics of this were in the last post if you want to have a look.

Next job was to sort the water leak. The car has had, lets say a bit of a water fall of a leak for a while but was a bugger to find. We finaly tracked it down to the seal between the bulk head and the A/C Evaporator box, for some reason the bulk contour was slightly different to the other two A/C Cars.

So a new seal was needed and fisrt job was to build up the mounting face which was done using so old blank number plate plastic

JohnsCar125.jpg

The thin edge is the new facing with a new divider at the top and then fitted a roof to divert any water coming through the air vent on the scuttle panel

JohnsCar127.jpg

JohnsCar126.jpg

and a leaf filter was fitted to the air intake

JohnsCar131.jpg

Once the back of the evaporator was sorted attention moved to the joint between the two halfs. I was never really happy with this as the facings of each half were never that flat and it was a case of using alot of DumDum to seal the box.

To get the faces flap was just a case of building the low spots up with some plastic filler and then used a very thin bead of Dum Dum to seal it back together.

JohnsCar129.jpg

Next job was to seal the evapourator pipes and instead of using DumDum again i opted to use for closed cell foam

JohnsCar135.jpg

JohnsCar133.jpg

That has finished the box off so next up is to start fitting all the captive nuts and bolts to the A/C Condensor and Fan.

Andy

Edited by andyc

• 11 months later...

Has it been nearly a year?

Well better get updating. So I've been round the engine bay and fitted captive nuts so i can use bolts instead of self tapping screws, some holes have been welded up that are not required any more and I've also welded in the proper studs for the wheel arch liners, again to get rid of any self tapping screws.

Nick Webb has made up a new Motronic Loom which i think started life as a 2.4 LHD Auto Carlton loom and with this we had another relay to find a home for. Nick had suggest fitting it in with the AC relays but there just wasn't the room.

So a place was needed for three A/C Relays & a Fuel Pump Relay. I decided to make a box that would fit in behind the battery

JohnsCar141.jpg

The empty box

JohnsCar144.jpg

and with the relays fitted, i also added some extra bus bars for + & - . If you are wondering the brown object is a mock up of the fuel pump relay as i didn't have one to hand at the time, this is just a cardboard mock up.

Pic of the Motronic ECU and loom, Nick done a very nice job as this fitted straight in. After finishing extending the wiring for the AC relays and FPR so they would reach the new box i thought I'd finished with wiring...............................................I should be so lucky

JohnsCar150-1_zps4e2a74ff.jpg

More on that next

Andy

OPPS last pic was upside down

As i said before i through i'd finished with the wiring until i got a visit from Simon Peckham with parcel. This parcel was a complete EPS setup, now things get a bit complexed.

The coloum had already been modded to fit so that was one job i didn't have to do but the was going to be a long job. As you all know when fitting these EPS the motor gets in the way of the fuse box. I tried fitting the coloum as Kev Abbot had done by turning it around so the motor was at 10 o'clock but i didn't like the fact you could still see end poking out under the dash.

So this meant only one thing, moving the fuse box but first a couple of modds to the coloum

JohnsCar218_zps9048edc9.jpg

The coloum with the rear brace fitted. I was quite lucky while doing this as i had a spare dash panel to use so i didn't have to lay in the wheel well upside down. With the coloum fitted time to turn my attention to this

JohnsCar184-1_zpsdc7d3ceb.jpg

The fuse box i decided to use was a later tyre blade style type taken from a Mk3 Cavalier but were to fit it? My first idea was to fit it in the foot plate on the passangers side foot well as they did with the 928's

JohnsCar172.jpg

It did fit with lots of room but the problem was getting the wiring there. Next place was to replace the washer bottle, make a new box to house the fues tray and re-cut the bulk head hole,

JohnsCar197_zps53589e99.jpg

I got as far as mounting to box but there was going to be a problem with hight as two looms had to run underneath the try, one in and one out, i aslo had the problem of re-locating the washer bottle, this idea was junked.

Could i fit the fuse box in the rear some place but running the loom that far would be a problem so the final place was in the bottom of the passanger side flitch panel

JohnsCar182-1_zps1b3b9a13.jpg

A couple of mods had to made to the panel for the box to fit but once in it didn't stand out any higher than the ECU on the other side. Now where to start!

Andy

Well the first job was to get all the battery lives fitted

JohnsCar190-1_zps12bd0af4.jpg

Then start to build up the rest of the loom

JohnsCar204.jpg

While i was in there i took the chance to fit the quad relay in the fuse box as well plus run some spare live wires etc

Dash Loom taking shape

JohnsCar208.jpg

Bracket made to attach the coloum loom plug as there bis no way of keeping it out of the way

JohnsCar244_zps2ed837da.jpg

JohnsCar240_zps96f01615.jpg

The loom took about six months to build in all, so far i've only tested it with an eight amp charger but i did get power to all the right places and nothing caught fire so that can only be a good thing.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

More of the fuse box build up

JohnsCar204.jpg

Pic of the final set up of the coloum with the steering ecu and engine ecu in place

JohnsCar171.jpg

Next job was to make the new brake pipes. The car already had a half decent set of pipes but they were copper and i hate copper brake pipes, so without informing John i made up some new ones with OE spec pipe

URL=http://s178.photobucket.com/user/andyc2411/media/Manta%20B%2024/JohnsCar267_zps1fea4211.jpg.html]JohnsCar267_zps1fea4211.jpg

Left Hand Pipe

JohnsCar268_zps4bbcdf51.jpg

Brake Valve Pipes

JohnsCar261_zps5595ff91.jpg

And Brake Master

JohnsCar260_zps29a3bb76.jpg

If you think the master cylinder and servo look a little different thats because they Carlton items not Manta ones. The Carlton Cylinder is a tad bigger to help with the all round disc brakes

Next job is to sort the battery tray

• 3 weeks later...

So the next job was to sort out the battery tray. I'd never been really happy with the tray as it was a modded old Senator one and as it had to come off for paint i decided to make a new one

pics1016_zps1fb7e8e1.jpg

One problem to over come was to make the tray removable for painting so a couple of slots were cut and two feet made

pics1018_zps2176718c.jpg

And to fix it to the chassis two captive nuts were fitted

pics1019_zpse7570edb.jpg

And tray bolted to the chassis leg

pics1020_zps0eb58149.jpg

pics1021_zps57a0dc9b.jpg

Now going back to the Relay Box i made earlier, i didn't like so i found one from an Astra i was breaking at the time. By using this i could also use the proper relay blocks that clip into the box but how to mount the relay box.

After mucking around for a while with different set ups i finally settled on this

pics1003_zps76bace13.jpg

I was a case of making up some flat brackets for the box to sit on

pics1001_zpsfe44b606.jpg

And fitted

pics1030_zpsf32f1685.jpg

Next is to get the motor ready for fitting for a pre-paint test run

Andy

So John had already had the engine re-built but as yet it had not been run. I decided that before having the engine bay painted it might be a better idea to fit the motor and do a test run to make sure all the little mods work.

First mod was to fit the Frontera heater pipes as this will mean doing away with the long heater hose from the water pump to the matrix, the Frontera one is a metal pipe that runs under the Manifolds, hardest problem was getting the U shaped hose that fitted

009_zps96c6a30c.jpg

007_zpse3741a0c.jpg

Once that was done a pipe then had to be for the Throttle body heater

012_zps081bdede.jpg

Thts the Green pipe in the picture

The final setup for the pipes took almost a day as they had to be tweaked to exit in the correct place, miss the Exhaust Manifold, small heat shield had to be made and the pipes on the matrix also had to be adjusted

Not the best pic but you get the idea of the hose routing

049_zpsadb002bf.jpg

Next was the pipe for the Fuel Pressure Regulator

004_zpsf9269878.jpg

and the pipe work for the evaporation valve

005_zpsced54b53.jpg

Next up was the Throttle Switch

004_zps28bf64c6.jpg

005_zps2e865cdf.jpg

2.2 Switch and

006_zps86d9f35a.jpg

And the 2.4 switch

As you can see the 2.2 switch on the right is a tad bigger that the 2.4 switch which means an adaptor plate needed to be made so the 2.4 switch will fit the 2.2 throttle body

First the butterfly shaft needed to be shortened

002_zpsea645bf6.jpg

Alloy sheet marked and centred

007_zps9fbe80b9.jpg

Fitting and adjusting holes

010_zps2b7fe487.jpg

Cut ,cleaned and fitted

011_zpsb8fee36f.jpg

Adaptor plate made for the evaporation valve as these are impossible to find these days

009_zps6d56560c.jpg

Bracket made for the fuel pipes and evaporation pipe

014_zps9aa735b6.jpg

015_zps3f4986da.jpg

Might re-do these in steel instead of alloy and will need to make up some harder bushes to hold the pipes

And a T Piece fitted into the cam cover breather pipe for the other end of the evaporation pipe

011_zps96d47e2e.jpg

and the injection harness had to be modded to miss the heater pipes. This meant taking the large grommet of, turning it around and fitting a right angle connector to keep it tight to the bulkhead

Next up is to fire the motor and we are almost up to date

Cheers

Andy

• 7 months later...

Time for an update

Couple of mods to the instrument panel to take Steering and Engine EMLs

004_zps0e866e2e.jpg

006_zps67dddf2d.jpg

Well the car is now back from paint and again a top job by the bodyshop

002_zps03bcb813.jpg

001_zpsaac95cd1.jpg

Wheel wells re-schultz and another coat of wax will be applied later

[iM

G]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w245/andyc2411/Manta%20B%2024/004_zpsb0c4c1ec.jpg

Start of the engine bay re-build

001_zpsd2825b51.jpg

New coil fitted with a nice new bit of bling. Found a place in the US that can re-cad plate but its not cheap

002_zpsad68f720.jpg

Brake pipes and balance valve fitted

003_zpsca27ff0f.jpg

Air con Relays to be sorted. Had a slight problem in the the fact i'd got the AC loom back in only to remember i'd forgot to re-wire it for the connection to the Motronic loom so the whole lot had to come out again, stripped back and re-done

001_zpse5de5ba0.jpg

Another job to be done was to mod the exhaust.Yes its a Catalyst..........................

004_zps472b3aa4.jpg

003_zps08152f7f.jpg

002_zps890d6330.jpg

Got this to be fitted but first it will go away to be overhauled into another set of casing as these ones are a bit rough

008_zps94c73a0a.jpg

Between us we have work out that this axle has done about twenty thousand miles without even turning a wheel. Originally i'd brought a job lot of parts and this was one of them but unbeknowing at the time it was an LSD. I then moved it on the Nick Webb in the US and it went via The Netherland. Once in the US it then went onto to North Carolina to be used in a track car but the ratio was wrong so John did a swap for his original LSD and it was on its way back to the UK.

Some more of the wiring in place

004_zps2798b139.jpg

Another mod was to sort the clutch pedal stop. Due to using a Monza Clutch pedal which is a tab longer and longer release arm to help with the weight of the Monza Clutch the pedal is straight and so misses the original stop.

Couldn't find the standard stop anywhere so had to make a new one from scratch

ClutchPedalStop2_zpse5ba0a2b.jpg

ClutchPedalStop4_zpsa9794303.jpg

Bit more Bling. Original Bonnet lock re-plated

006_zps49560a57.jpg

Engine back in

008_zps67b1bcec.jpg

Thats about it for now

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more done

Starter was looking a bit sorry for itself and was the wrong colour so that has been stripped and re-painted

001_zps06dacf08.jpg

Compressor all built up on its mount, again this has also been re-painted

003_zpsaf5c9728.jpg

Its a tight fit and the whole thing has to be lifted one handed from underneath so the other hand is free for the bolts

004_zpsd39b707a.jpg

Rad, fan and cowl fitted, that cowl need a better clean

008_zpsfc94a8b3.jpg

and the condenser fan fitted

009_zpse82f520f.jpg

Sorry pic is not that great

Starter has also been fitted but i need to sort a new support bracket as someone in the past has butchered this one to fit, if i can't find one then i'll need to knock one up.

Just waiting on the 90amp alternator mounting brackets which should be here by the weekend and then i'll start to build up the inlet manifold

Cheers

Andy

• 1 month later...

Ok Ok keep your hair on  :)

Right where did i get to, ah yes the alternator. With all the extras the car is going to need a bit more power from the electrics so a new 90amp alternator was brought in, problem being we only have a 70amp bracket so John  was dispatched to source the correct mountings to take the bigger alternator, week or so later bits a pieces started to arrive

0033_zps90a59896.jpg

And we also added some extra support to the main bracket. In the past the straight six motors which this setup is from suffered from the threads pulling out on the timing cover so they added an extra bracket, good idea as Motronic timing coves are very hard to find

007_zps6f9dcd77.jpg

006_zps76e020ed.jpg

The extra bracket is the cad plated item in the picture and in that you can also see the Oil Pressure Switch and crank sensor

Next job was to sort the Inlet Manifold and the first job to port match it to the head Three ports down and one to to go. It took around two hours per port to rough it out, old gasket used as a template

011_zpsaf85afe6.jpg

Ports polished but not to a mirror finish, painted and ready for building

0023_zpsccfc74f4.jpg

Some nice new shiny Manifold parts 

0013_zps267bee9e.jpg

Also managed to find a half decent manifold heat shield, gave it a coat of heat paint but not before taking a template, once i can find a sheet big enough of this material i'll make a new one

016_zpsbc96e279.jpg

All built up ready to fit although the vac pic for the pressure regulator has now been changes

0012_zps64a33a5d.jpg

Another delivery bring a box of extra large Opel Oil Filters and twenty litres of oil

0052_zps9e918255.jpg

0072_zps922b3a71.jpg

Ok the answer to the question why the different oils. Well this motor has a  ceramic coating on the pistons and as such need to be broken in in a different way to a normal motor.

As more parts are getting added its getting a bit tight on the inlet side of the engine so things are having to be modded, the air box being one of them. With both the high and low pressure hoses and bottom rad hose all the same place the lower edge had to be adjusted so it didn't rub on any of the hoses

010_zps22c18bfb.jpg

Right going to leave it there and finish watching the Blues Brothers

Andy

Hey Andy

nice to see some pictures :-)

Not got far with mine over the summer but im trying to get on and finish the exhaust on mine and then its just a few little bits left to go.

where did you get the large oil filters from? i tried to get one but it just ended up being about the same size as the original one and they look nice and big ;-)

Andy

Hi Andy

Picked up a box of twenty from OCP a while back but i think it was the last of there stock. It is a bit odd as it was only fitted to the Senator B 2.5 with air con so finding pattern ones is impossible as no one else made them.

Good for this project though as it gives a bit more oil capacity

Cheers

Andy