Opel Manta A 5.0L V12 Twin Turbo

stianøverland

after i sold my 1971 manta rally. I missed it so much that i had to buy i new one.

then i fount another 71'rally. i bought the car with a broken rear axle. then changed the differential, and again, and again,the broke the headgasket, then the diff and again... then i got so tired of the shitty rear axle so i desided to pick the whole car to peaces, and build my own.

norway has some pretty strict roules about customising cars. so i have to take the car to germany, to get a tüw approval when im done..

so far i pick'd the car clean and its just days to sandblasting.

engine will most likely be a Nissan RB25DET

rearaxle will be a Dana 1031 with 4link

+++++++

thinking about 350-400 bhp

started out with this :)

29524_423214577287_507852287_5320164_2444295_n.jpg

then some minor mods

24september201112.jpg

24september201111.jpg

297944_10150279391049065_194822429064_7617141_1437611_n.jpg

and now im here :)

IMAG0409.jpg

IMAG0378.jpg

Edited by stianøverland

• 2 months later...

i decided to move a away from the nissan engine... i wanted something kinda bigger :P

this is a bmw 5.0L v12 with alpina ecu's this produces over 330 hp original. if there is space enough, there will be twin turbos. but time will show =)

IMAG0614.jpg

IMAG0615.jpg

this is a picture to show you how gigantic this engine really is. but it doesent weigh more than 200kg

IMAG0617.jpg

haha, wish me luck ;D

norway has some pretty strict roules about customising cars. so i have to take the car to germany, to get a tüw approval when im done..

How do you get your car TUW approval with those modifications?

The EU is trying to bring the same rules as Germany into the UK. We are being told that this will meen that modifying will be very hard to do, it would be interesting to see how you need to build your car so as to get a TUW approvel.

Please tell us how it all works over there, and maybe we can start to prepare. :D

the car will be approved with the stock v12, then mods.

there is a firm in norway called engelund racing. he produces tüw approved brake kits up to 420 hp. so with the performance of the engine that want be an issue. also i have some contacts here in norway witch have streetcars with over 1000hp. one of them have a registered vw bus with 1300hp drag racing engine. but i will come back with technical details. :)

but you have right about the eu "roules" they are fairly strict, but if you have a good dialog, and do things the right way, you can do almost anything. there are also strict roules about co2 limits, thats why i started with a veteran, because there arn't so many roules for cars older than 30 years. cars registered before 01.01.1970 has almost no limits.

other tings i needed was the original "testpapers?" of the car that opel sent out when the car was made, that tells what kid of force the body can handle etc etc. that is one of the reasons i need to take the car to germany, to change somethings on theese papers, after the chassi has been stiffed.

there is a lot to pay attention to, but you can find much at the web.

Edited by stianøverland

• 2 weeks later...

a bit more has happened, i av disassembeled the engine a bit, and began to adapt, after a little bit it fell right into place, almost to good to be true

IMAG0627.jpg

IMAG0628.jpg

i switched the engine mounts, (right to left, left to right) and then they was almost in sync with the origial mounts on the car, amazing!

now i need to build a new gear-tunnel =)

Edited by stianøverland

Hello!! I was looking your pictures and read your texts very closely.

Because i have just started same kind of project here in finland.

Ihave a 1972 Manta and 1988 BMW 750ia on my yard, Manta,s chassis is now waiting sodablasting

And next job is take off engine from BMW...

I was thinking that we can change some tips with our projects if its ok for you??

You find my email from memberlist...

Hello!! I was looking your pictures and read your texts very closely.

Because i have just started same kind of project here in finland.

Ihave a 1972 Manta and 1988 BMW 750ia on my yard, Manta,s chassis is now waiting sodablasting

And next job is take off engine from BMW...

I was thinking that we can change some tips with our projects if its ok for you??

You find my email from memberlist...

sure! my mail is stianoverland@post.com <-- ask me anything you want to know =)

now the engine sits on the engine mounts

imag0629k.jpg

i made some new exhaust manifolds, now i just need to get some flanges for the turbos and for the heads.

imag0630s.jpg

and the hood closes! yea!

imag0632l.jpg

Edited by stianøverland

bulkhead(firewall) ?

that wont be a problem, modern cars have something called colision-zones, that is spesific zones of the body that is made to protect the cockpit and driver, therefore that would be a much bigger problem on a new car because cutting and welding on a body will change the way the car will behave in a accident.

old cars does not have zones, so if i move the wall 30 cm back to fit the engine, i dont destroy any of these zones, becaus there arnt any. therefore its much mye easy to do things like this on old cars :)

• 2 weeks later...

dsc01239vi.jpg

Déjà vu :-)

Apparently we had the same idea. Great project indeed. Which gearbox you are going to use. How far back you're going to install your engine?

dsc05178v.jpg

Which steering rack do you use? And how is your oilpan located? Or are you going to drysump it?

dsc012481.jpg

Edited by transeurope

dsc01239vi.jpg

Déjà vu :-)

Apparently we had the same idea. Great project indeed. Which gearbox you are going to use. How far back you're going to install your engine?

dsc05178v.jpg

Which steering rack do you use? And how is your oilpan located? Or are you going to drysump it?

dsc012481.jpg

haha, thats awsome :)

i have placed the engine with the oilpan in front of the steering. you have to cut slightly at the front frame on the right side to fit the dynamo.

the turbo's have arrived and the gearbox is mounted, now i have to fabricate a new tunnel577431_10152168868995595_2043166123_n.jpg

autobox yup.

e36 ? this engine is from a 7 series....

i use the original opel steering ;)

e36 steering rack is often used as replacement rack; as its lower (about 6cm gain), directer and hydraulic...Only disadvantage it's 0.5cm more in front..

DSCN3411.jpg

DSCN3420.jpg

more about the rack you find here http://www.opel-forum.nl/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=131499&start=30