Rear Axle.

gary6303

has anyone fitted a ford 9" rear axle to their manta b, looking at getting a axle that can take 400bhp or more, have looked into volvo, scimitar 4ha and the mighty 9" ford the ford is top at the moment as you can get a fully rebuilt unit with a lsd disc brakes and shortend to any length i want with any ratio that i require and painted for about £2000.00 + shipping tax etc from the states or would it be better just to go independant rear suspension.

on my ascona a i will be using a scimiter 4HA with a jag power loc diff and vented cosworth rear disc brakes.

out lay is

scimiter se6a axle £100 with 3.54 ratio

power lock diff unit £50

new bearing/seals for everything £100

drive shaft floating spacers £40

discs £40 +£20 machining

calipers recon £150

lower spring cups (ebay) £40

top links £50

welding spring cups on £50

My A series has a fully built 9" axle capable of over 1000hp. Mine has a 4 link set up so will be completely different to a stock set up, but yes it can be done.

If you get an axle of the length you need brackets for springs and arms etc can be transferred from one to the other by a professional fabricator / race car builder to suit your needs.

I used Wayne Alman (intergalactic custom shop), but Hauser racing , Chris Issacs racing, Andy Robinson race cars etc. Where are you? I may be able to narrow it down for you.

ps you will be able to get away with an 8" axle for that power so may be a lot cheaper to buy as a core unit and parts are readily available from the states (or from the above mentioned in the UK.

Tony

Funny i live nr andy robinson race cars about 15 miles away, an 8" back axle need more info will need to be 5 stud, shame the manta axle cant have ford internals fitted or a proper diff etc as the case is rather large and looks so strong.

It's the pinion bearing that breaks down on the Manta and causes devastation, done 2 Manta axles in that

way :o

I'm going for the 4HA but I love the 9" ford they seem to chuck on the high power cars in the states

Edited by Kevin Abbott