Sandwich Plate

Courtenay T 27

He's on about how Courtney lowered the CR on the Manta GTE Turbo by using a sandwich plate and two head gaskets, 1 either side.

You won't find a head gasket thick enough to do it without the sandwich plate.

I believe the query is about the Rubber O ring that comes in the head gasket set for the recess in the timing cover - the one that often gets forgotten letting you buy overheating Mantas for not much 10 years ago.

I would guess you would use two as the recess in the timing cover is only 3mm or 4mm from memory so with another head gasket and the sandwich plate I think you would need to use two for it to work. However, I've never tried so no warranty implied or given.

ask lambchop77 he is the guy in the know. if its cih stuff he will give great advise and possibly help getting low comp pistons.

dont know much about courtney turbo mantas but would a 2.4 cih head not lower comp enough to avoid two gaskets and a plate. then fit inlet side with usual 3.0 cut down manifold or find a 2.2 inlet to fit.

Edited by rutts

You can get thicker gaskets from Germany, but not thick enough for you not to use the sandwich plate. If I remember you pistons are forged so you could machine a couple of millimeters of the top/or form a bowl. If using the plate and 2 gaskets, for the small round rubber water seal, superglue 2 seals together then trim with sharp scapel to correct size...Ideally you need the longer(than GTE) early non stretch 2.2 head bolts.I assume you are using a modded Courtney front, oil pump cover which does not use the long rubber timing chain guide...

Hi Pete, yes you do remember right...

On the point of the oil pump cover.. Opened it up and found a crack where the bottom 'pin' has been hacksawed off...

Any ideas why this guide has been removed? I have ordered another one, with all parts in tact....

The pistons are too thin to machine apparently...

Confused is not the word!!

copper head gaskets is the way to go i have been told. ( take a look on google farriday engineering)

i am looking into getting one for my 1.9 engine as the race head i am fitting has been skimmed by a couple of mm.

Courtney built a reliable turbo car by using the sandwich plate and standard engine parts.

Why second guess them, all you will do is at best do it more expensively and at worst spend money and end up with a pile of pieces.

Keep it simple. You have enough to worry about sorting this car out, as after you have done. I would b every tempted to get it to run as a 2.0 GTE with the extra electronics disconnected to prove all the stuff is good and them fit the sandwich and sort out the extra engine management. Otherwise you could spend pounds chasing down faults that are nothing to do with the fancy parts

mmm I will measure my plate up its more than 1mm. Remember your engine has a higher capacity so you need a thicker plate to lower your compression ratio. PS Ideally you need a 2.4 Frontera Head and exhaust manifold as it has larger chambers and exhaust ports and a cut down 3.0 inlet manifold to get all that extra air into your engine...turbo'd your 2.7 on max boost will be equivalent to a 5 litre engine plus

Mantainletmanifold001.jpg

• Like 1