Manta 2.4 Turbo Hatch Now With Pic's

mikemanta

Just testing the water but I have a 2.4 turbo hatch, been stood for quite a few years and I am thinking of selling, I will be taking the rear axle and interior out but the rest maybe up for sale with the right offer, the car back in the day was one of the fastest if not the fastest manta in the country, the engine seems good but i have not run it in anger, it has various bits fitted to it like water injection 8 fuel injectors and was running about 320 bhp, this from a cih engine is very impressive even now, it would benifit from more modern ecu system like an omex, as i say i am testing the water so to keep to the rules i will put a price on it of say £2000 but really its offers , the car is located in Swindon, Wilts,

Edited by mikemanta

axle has lsd fitted and the seats have had a full leather retrim and i need that for my other project and yes it is bit of a nightmare but if you were to put somthing like an omex on it then you would loose most of the pipes, this car was featured in fast car magazine when they had a shoot out with some other manta's. The car was producing 320 bhp from a cih way back in the day was unheard of.

Would love to have a go at putting that lot into a decent coupe shell, but having been royally f....d by New Zealand Certifiers over my GT, don't think it is affordable to bring her here, so will probably just bring my Rally car and the Black Berlinetta still in storage

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just a question about the engine. what boost pressure were you running and did you need to drop the compression ratio, and if so how (e.g thicker head gasket, different pistons ect). and what injectors did you use, and how on earth did you fit them.

thanks for any reply

If I recall it was running over 20psi. It also has a special anti lag system/ launch control, also fitted to my car, which I believe even modern turbo road cars don't have. The engine is able to make max boost at idle, to launch you select 2nd gear release button. 0-60 was around 5.5 seconds with wheel spin! Believe engine was built by Power Engineering.

• Like 2

Sounds realy good. moder cars don't have anti lag systems because variable vain geometry turbos work well enough and also environmental laws aswell. my friend has a ford anglia with a ford cossi engine with anti lag for rallying and the rally officials don't like him using it because of the noise but it's a fast car with or without the anti lag.

• Like 1

In my case I never used my nitrous system because it could launch off the line with max power (252 bhp @20psi, mine was a 2.0 litre) ......as Mike says, something like an omex system with a jag 4.2 airflow meter would make it easier to program.....

• 3 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I’m sure I know that car.  I joined the forum just to chime in. 

I’m an ex-pat Brit who moved to America 20 years ago.  I used to live and work in Worthing and owned an 85 Opel Manta GTE that I miss dearly, I was daydreaming about GTE’s over here in the States and went googling for sale ads just for the hell of it.  I’m sure that car was owned and built by an old work college called Marco Cuccinotta (not 100% of the spelling of his last name)  We both worked at IAD (International Automotive Design) in the early 90’s.  Marco was friends with and did work with the guy that owned and ran ERL who made the Aquamist water injections systems.  Marco built that car similar to the specs of the ERL owner.  That thing was freekin fast, especially by the standards of 93/94.  I remember one day being a passenger and chasing a Lambo Diablo on the A24 near Worthing.  Exiting the Findon roundabout the Lambo didn’t start pulling away until the jail side of 100mph, that was the days before you were infested with Scameras.  What became of this car?  I’m sure my far more humble beast ended up in a scrappers in the end. L