Temperature Gauge

Nick86

Hi I have a Cav mk1 and the temperature shows the car running hot but I don't think it is.

I put the temp sender into a cup of water at 90 deg and it went into the red I think the thermostat is supose to open at 98deg so it should not be in the red. I have heard this is common but how do I fix this problem? My fuel gauge is also out by 1/2 a tank ish. Thanks

Thanks where do I get an original one? I have found one on eBay only it's not an original and will need wiring in any hints tips advice? The old one im sure has 3 pins and other one has two?

Edited by Nick86

ebay seller Kumi1969 makes them, and sells them on ebay but none there at the moment.

If you email him through ebay he will let you know when he makes a batch up.

I think a ccvs3 is what you will want.

Last time i bought one it was £9.99 plus £1.50 p&p.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4163c8a4ab

You can contact him through this ad on ebay.

HTH

Dave

Edited by dog321fish

Damn, corrected twice in as many days! Been a while since I looked at one, but I bow to your knowledge Doc :D

Now that I have read this I will put my shoes on and go down to the garage to look at one, cos I'd have said the same as Rob!! so must go and look a bit closer, wish I hadn't read it now :wacko:

Now that I have read this I will put my shoes on and go down to the garage to look at one, cos I'd have said the same as Rob!! so must go and look a bit closer, wish I hadn't read it now :wacko:

Tut tut. (shakes head dissapointedly)

hat do you think it uses to adjust the distance the bi metallic strip bows before making a contact. It is 10V RMS after all.

Oh look there is the hole I pulled one out of by the + Terminal

V2.jpg

V1.jpg

V3.jpg

St1.jpg

St2.jpg

St3.jpg

St5.jpg

1. I couldn't see it on the one I was looking at because it was sealed up with a resin, which I expect is there to stop it turning, but now you have educated me all is very clear! Question If you don't mind me asking, How do you test one of these, is it by just checking the continuity of the coil, or what? Julian.

Plug it into a 12v battery using the + - marked on the stabiliser and test the voltage coming out of the terminal marked with an arrow it should read 10v.if you are getting the full battery power you may need to calibrate the stabiliser and try again.

Edited by Nick86

Plug it into a 12v battery using the + - marked on the stabiliser and test the voltage coming out of the terminal marked with an arrow it should read 10v.

Unfortunately that is wrong. This would only work if you had an RMS gauge, which almost no one does.

Essentially the standard regulator is a bi-mettalic strip with a heating element wrapped around it. The heating element heats the strip and causes it to bend either towards or away from a contact, I forget which. It heats up the strip, causes it to bend and break the circuit, then as it cools it touches a terminal again and heats up till it breaks circuit.

When the car's voltage is higher it heats up quicker and provides powwer to the clocks for less time.

It's basically a thermally regulated flasher unit........ 0V....12V.......0V...14V..........0V and so on.

Hence a normal gauge designed for DC won't allow you to tell if it is working properly.

• Like 1

Yes that's how they work but the voltage should not fluctuate by that much On the gauge that's the reason the stabiliser is fitted to stop that. The output on the terminal leading to the clocks should read 10v or there abouts if the voltage follows the input power it's not working right

Edited by Nick86

Yes that's how they work but the voltage should not fluctuate by that much

Yes it should. That's how they work. There are no electronics in them They are on...... Battery Voltage (which obviouls varies) then off. It pulses.

The RMS value if a kind of average if you like between the Ov and Battery Volts.

Your advice could lead people to discard perfectly good voltage stabilisers.

Only an RMS gauge can read 10V ish on these.

Just been checking on RMS on Google, frightened the life out of me!! So I have decided to use my own gauge to test them, It's called a Mk1 Cavalier, simple piece of kit, there is a place under the dash, where you plug the unit in, then you have a look at the gauges on the dash, and they tell you if it's good or not. SORTED.

I understand what you are saying that as input power changes the contact breaker heats and cools compleating or breaking the circuit causing constant changes to voltage. The point I was making was that these variations happen to fast for you to pick up while testing you should however be able to pick up an "average" power output wich should be around 10v. This is how I sorted mine out and it now works fine and accurately. But if you insist I will revise my advice

Some take a while to warm up to even start working, but as all the fuel and temp gauges are also a heated bi metallic strip that responds slowly this damps the appearance of the output. However, on some cars at idle or ignition lights on you can see the gauges throb and they still work ok.

The best test without an RMS gauge is to fit it and I think use a 40 Ohm resistor....... but that's another story.

You may also find that gauges read wrong after a couple of years of frying with a defective one, so the best bet is an adjustable solid state one, get the car up to temp and adjust so temp needle is spot on.

Cost less than about £1.50 each.

Some designs on the net just buy a 3 leg triac and solder one leg to each terminal, no adjustability for a constant 10V no adjustable for probably 50p (not recommending that)