Rev Gauge + Bogging Down Issue

Robert1234

Sometimes the car bogs down at around 2-3.5k revs, it's hard to explain it like judders a bit now and again. (Mostly happens on the motorway or dual carriageway, but it happened at town speed today.)

Also the rev gauge sometimes moves from say 2-4k when its revving at a steady 2k for example.

The problem with it not starting the other day after the "watersplash" has been sorted, changed the dizzy cap and rotor arm and sorted a dodgy connection on the alternator. The chap who scraped the corrosion and muck off the dizzy and rotor points recommended that I also change the HT leads, so I've ordered a set of those red accuspark ones off the bay for £14. I'm just wondering what could be causing the problem with the awkward running and crazy gauge.

The manta is a bit "old tech" for me so if silly questions get asked, that's why :)

Thanks

Rob

Ok, you mentioned the words points and bouncing rev counter, so worm distributor shaft. With cap off rotate engine untill points open then check shaft for sideplay (back and to) in the direction of the points to centre line, if the point open and close due to freeplay that is the issue.

Can be alleviated temporarily by putting a blob of grease in the heel of the points to dampen it.

No warranty of any king implied or given.

you might want to mention the issue in the for sale in case it is a surprise to a potential buyer and scares them off.

if the engine revs constant but rev counter bounces around it still points to dizzy shaft or a fault in the green wire piggy back terminals as a second guess

I would still check shaft for freeplay.

you might want to mention the issue in the for sale in case it is a surprise to a potential buyer and scares them off.

if the engine revs constant but rev counter bounces around it still points to dizzy shaft or a fault in the green wire piggy back terminals as a second guess

I would still check shaft for freeplay.

Ye I'll pop it in there.

I'll check the shaft in the morning.

If it is that at fault, what's the cost of a replacement?