Y Reg Gte Hatch With Rare Green Interior

first time i have seen a green interior, not for me but still a great car. but then when i first got my coupe it had the original burnt orange interior but was so badly worn with

fag burns and rips, now its grey. thumbsup.gif

I know this scrap yard as I went there two months ago to look at a Mk2 Cavalier that they had that should not have been broken (think it is still listed on ebay) which happened to be green and have the same colour green interior.

This car is to good to be broken by the look of it and you have to wonder how it has ended up at the scrap yard. Incidently the only other car that I know of with a Green Interior is one owned by Mr Virco.

I'm going to Bicester on Friday and if I get a chance I will have a run upto there yard and have a closer look and report back.

Right i've been to look at this car it is one of the best 1.8's i've seen. The engine is one of the quietest 1.8 or 2.0 for that matter I have heard. The chap at the scrap yard explained to me that the car came from an ealderly couple from Amersham, Bucks who had ownded the car for 20 years and only got rid of it because they wanted an Auto. Interstingly there is a Manta Club sticker in the back window so would hazard a guess they were (are?) members at one time.

I had a good look around the car and the only real rust issue I could see was a small area on the drivers side cill that would require attention for the MOT. Car has a months MOT and Tax on it.

Also I noticed that the car does not have a Manual choke which is unsuall for a 1.8 I think (Probabley an aftermarket conversion but there was no sign of any holes in the dash where it should be.

Chap at the scarp yard said it was lucky it came to them as it it had gone to a certain yard in Aylesbury it would have been crushed. (They have a few unsual cars in the scrap yard (Ford Prefect, Ford Capri, Peugeot 504 Cabrio, 3 x Austin Maestro's including an MG version, Mk2 Cavalier and two Reliant's).

I would hazard a guess if you turned up with £900/£1000 in cash they would probable take it.

Here is a picture of the engine. Just surface dust for the yard other than that looks very clean. More pictures to follow.

IMG_20110325_151554.jpg

I drive past this scrapyard 2 or 3 times a week but I'm in a lorry so would be difficult parking up the narrow driveway as there is also a caravan dealers in the same yard, so wanted to have a look at this since ive seen it advertised on ebay, i see its been relisted at £1.350, they must be making a killing on it bet they didnt give them more than £150 as scrap value???

Also I noticed that the car does not have a Manual choke which is unsuall for a 1.8 I think (Probabley an aftermarket conversion but there was no sign of any holes in the dash where it should be.

The auto choke is standard on the 1.8S as the varijet2 is made/designed with one. A manual choke is a conversion for the varijet but there were a few 1.8 exclusives that had the Weber DTML from new and therefore a manual choke.

I emailed these guys about seeing it and they couldn't be bothered to respond, so I can't be bothered to go and have a look. :(

Any idea what its like underneath? getting more and more tempted by this but would need to move on my red 1800 hatch fairly quickly.....and moving house this weekend.......and the gearbox in my Navigator has just gone bang.......must resist.....

Andy

Any idea what its like underneath? getting more and more tempted by this but would need to move on my red 1800 hatch fairly quickly.....and moving house this weekend.......and the gearbox in my Navigator has just gone bang.......must resist.....

Andy

Looked very solid. Only area I could see that requires attention was the sill at the rear of the drivers side. I got the impression that the previous owner keep the car in a garage. Also they were a Manta Club member at one time as there a club sticker in the rear window.

On the subject of the price, I think if you turned up with £900 they would probable let it go for that, the repair needed on the sill if a bit of a bartering told.

• 4 weeks later...

Looked very solid. Only area I could see that requires attention was the sill at the rear of the drivers side. I got the impression that the previous owner keep the car in a garage. Also they were a Manta Club member at one time as there a club sticker in the rear window.

On the subject of the price, I think if you turned up with £900 they would probable let it go for that, the repair needed on the sill if a bit of a bartering told.

Now reduced to £1000

Betty? when I first seen the ad! I actually thought it was your one!

How do all the braw projects, need to be at the other side of the country <<<< Bettys motor.

gl with sale

P.S. Mine has the head-light washer/wipers so its better than that one ... :P

Im running in my GOLD too Keith :o .. Even glanced over at the missus & wondered ' what she'd be worth ' lol but some things you invest in You have to hold on to ...... :unsure:

Hope they are not bought for the 16v bits :angry: ..

• 4 weeks later...