Quaife Quck Rack Problems Help!

CRAZYDAVE

For the pinion to column link rod you need a second U/J same as at the top of the link rod by the bulkhead.

This replaces the original horrible lump of rubber

When i built my quaife kit into the rack casing i can remember it being a bit of a pain

Unfortunatley i can't remember exactly why or what i did to solve it (its been about 5 years and many mantas since then :rolleyes: )

Seem to recall the pinion goes in from the bottom of the rack casing, where the bush tension cap screws on.

Think the rack part goes in first, then the pinion slides up into place with a gentle turn to align the teeth.

I can have a look at my spare rack at the weekend if need be.

For the pinion to column link rod you need a second U/J same as at the top of the link rod by the bulkhead.

This replaces the original horrible lump of rubber

When i built my quaife kit into the rack casing i can remember it being a bit of a pain

Unfortunatley i can't remember exactly why or what i did to solve it (its been about 5 years and many mantas since then :rolleyes: )

Seem to recall the pinion goes in from the bottom of the rack casing, where the bush tension cap screws on.

Think the rack part goes in first, then the pinion slides up into place with a gentle turn to align the teeth.

I can have a look at my spare rack at the weekend if need be.

Any help is much appreciated as the car is on a 4 post at my mates garage and is taking up precious space and holding him up with other jobs. From what i can see there is a bearing at either end of the hole for the pinion drive in the rack. Would it be that i need to drive the bottom one out and put the pinion in from underneath? Thanks for any help and advice.

Right had a quick look at a spare empty rack casing to jog my memory.

There is a bottom cap that you remove, bellow that there is a pressed in bearing.

That also needs to be removed.

The pinion should then slide in from bellow

You will need the rack shaft fitted first and as the pinion goes in everything might need turning slightly to allign the teeth.

Also you may need to remove the screw/cap that holds the bush against the side of the rack shaft, just to allow a little more movement.

The lower bearing then goes back in with a nut holding the pinion to it.

Grease the bearing well and refit the lower cap.

The screw/cap will need adjusting when everything is fitted to the car as this stops play in the pinion end of the rack shaft, but having it too tight will lead to very heavy steering.

Also do not grease the rack shaft too much as this will also make it heavy to turn on the car

There is a nylon/plastic bush in the other end of the rack from the pinion that should be a good tight fit to the rack shaft, too much grease will interfear with this bush and make it too tight.

Hope that helps and you can free up your mates ramp :thumbup

• Like 1

Right had a quick look at a spare empty rack casing to jog my memory.

There is a bottom cap that you remove, bellow that there is a pressed in bearing.

That also needs to be removed.

The pinion should then slide in from bellow

You will need the rack shaft fitted first and as the pinion goes in everything might need turning slightly to allign the teeth.

Also you may need to remove the screw/cap that holds the bush against the side of the rack shaft, just to allow a little more movement.

The lower bearing then goes back in with a nut holding the pinion to it.

Grease the bearing well and refit the lower cap.

The screw/cap will need adjusting when everything is fitted to the car as this stops play in the pinion end of the rack shaft, but having it too tight will lead to very heavy steering.

Also do not grease the rack shaft too much as this will also make it heavy to turn on the car

There is a nylon/plastic bush in the other end of the rack from the pinion that should be a good tight fit to the rack shaft, too much grease will interfear with this bush and make it too tight.

Hope that helps and you can free up your mates ramp :thumbup

Mantasrme thank you :thumbup rack is now fully built and in car with new track rod ends. Just need to nick a u/j off my spares manta and all is sorted great post and very helpful. Just noticed i wrote 'quck rack' in the topic title :lol: i was kinda in a hurry when i wrote it :lol: