Vauxhall Carlton Mk1 Estate

mantasrme

With the engine out and the flywheel off being skimmed i took the time while waiting to do a couple of other jobs.

First up was a load of gunk and the jet-wash to give the engine bay a good clean.

Then i managed to find the play in the steering we were having problems locating before.

Part of it turned out to be the ball joint in the centre track-rod that goes from the steering box arm across the engine bay, sods law it wasn't a simple track rod end

Anyway i popped into my local motor factors to get a price for a new one, I nearly fell over when he said £155 +vat :o

Needless to say i didn't buy that one.

A look around e-bay found a new-old-stock one at £65 + £20 delivery, still a bit much for my liking.

Bit more trawling around and i found one listed for a Monza, again nos and this was £16.70 delivered. You should have seen how fast i hit Buy-It-Now :thumbup

There was also a little play in the steering box, but after reading through the haynes manual i found how to adjust the mesh of the gears to remove that aswell

The steering arm, clutch disc and cover finally arrived thursday, so on friday i managed to get the steering all rebuilt.

No play at all now ;)

Then the engine onto the hoist and fit the freshly skimmed flywheel and clutch.

c33.jpg

c35.jpg

Didn't have any problems dropping the engine back in as i'd managed to sort the little things while it was out.

All new jubilee clips for the water pipes, new fuel pipes on the pump, and a rebuilt and adjusted throttle linkage on the carb.

Once everything was back together and tested it wasn't long before the carlton was put to work moving the loaded trailer around.

c36.jpg

Will get it taxed tomorrow and then i can put some miles on it and make sure there aren't any problems.

I think you're about right with the v6 idea, as long as you can get round the ecu/security headaches, a 3 ltr omega is cheap enough!

Strip out the Omega loom and either put the omega key on your key ring and hope the pickup is close enough or duck tape the Omega ignition key to the pickup and leave it somewhere under the dash to keep it simple.

Sounds a bad idea but that's what many remote start alarms do for cars with coded keys, have your spare in a box under the dash and an "aerial wire" snaking from the box to the pickup and wrapped around it.

Just spent a load of time stripping the loom out of a Vectra as I'm hoipng to use the engine management, alarm, immobiliser and central locking on the Vectra fob too.