Torque Tube Mount Mods

cam.in.head

hi there. any advice / opinions etc on what mods people have done to the torque tube mounts etc. i recall this being a bad design feature in road tests when magazines tested them as current models .namely the RUBBERY TREMOR .im going to mod mine now after years of owning cavs. was wondering what others have done.?

strengthening the doenut /bearing holder by a stiffer type/polybush? /spherical bearing /or filling the void with silicone or other flexible solution???

stiffening / replacing the torque tube mounting or modding to a 3 bobbin type ??

solidly mounting the actual crossmember to body mountings ??

all advice eagerly accepted .many thanks.chris........................

hi there. any advice / opinions etc on what mods people have done to the torque tube mounts etc. i recall this being a bad design feature in road tests when magazines tested them as current models .namely the RUBBERY TREMOR .im going to mod mine now after years of owning cavs. was wondering what others have done.?

strengthening the doenut /bearing holder by a stiffer type/polybush? /spherical bearing /or filling the void with silicone or other flexible solution???

stiffening / replacing the torque tube mounting or modding to a 3 bobbin type ??

solidly mounting the actual crossmember to body mountings ??

all advice eagerly accepted .many thanks.chris........................

wind a fan belt inside the spongy mount or fill it with that rubber stuff you get from frost or add a steel torque tube and add a multi mount to the front and add a billet center shaft costing a fortune and add a slippy diff, then find out after years of trouble the bloody manta axle is sh@t and not worth uprating :lol:

I've added a 5mm thick strip of steel along the top of the crossmember and over the doughnut holder to the other side and welded it in place to stop the housing ripping off.

The rubber bush around the front of the torque tube itself was knackered and i replaced it with 3 H/D bobbins

1 in each of the normal locations at the bottom and half of one at the top center to stop the tube hitting the housing

I'm also running a steel tube and had nylon bushes in the crossmember.

yeah i seem to remember reading about putting a strip of steel around the top.i have 3 bobbins (think they may be chevette)which i can fit then maybee a harder bearing doenut or fill with rubber .i thought i had cured it years ago when i got a brand new bearing doenut but no noticeable difference.

yeah i seem to remember reading about putting a strip of steel around the top.i have 3 bobbins (think they may be chevette)which i can fit then maybee a harder bearing doenut or fill with rubber .i thought i had cured it years ago when i got a brand new bearing doenut but no noticeable difference.

When i first got the kadett for grassing the guy i got it off had modded the front rubber donut by strapping over the top of the mount and then filling all the voids with silicone sealant. Did work pretty well, its just not as good as a 5 link or independent on the rear.

HTH

Chris

yeah i thought about filling it all with silicone sealant. at least it would be still all flexible & stiffen it all up a little.

so is the main weakness the doenut bearing support? or is it the tube end rubber mount. or a combination of these two plus the actual crossmember to body mounts at each end (cant work out why these are actually there in the first place !!)