My New A Series Project.

h0tr0dder_uk

Hello,

Nice manta looks very solid i like the color smile.gif

From the pictures is a US Manta i'm correct?

The prices i don't know but if you only have rust in the batery tray and rear quarter if you payed a little more it will compensate.

Good luck and put more picture

Very good guys. You got it right. The car is a U.S.A. version. I now live in San Diego and picked this car up from San Bernadino county. It hasn't been registered since 1990 and looks like it has sat in the desert for the last 20 years. Once cleaned up though I found it to be in great condition. Heres a few pics of it yesterday.

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

The body will be getting the european bumpers, running lights removed and a turbo front spoiler.

I was going to fit one of the new ecotec turbo engines into this, but the fandangled direct fuel injection means its a real pain to wire it in. So I bought this

fuelinjection.jpg

Which means I'll be fitting a small block chevy v8 engine into it, probably with one of these kits too

twinturbokit.jpg

By the way - I bought it for........around 350 quid ($500)!!!! :thumbup

With a bit of photoshopping you can see what it will look like with a decent lowering job

modified.jpg

Although I'm hoping to have it like my old car but with fatter, bigger diameter rims

manta2.jpg

Edited by h0tr0dder_uk

Update - I've stripped the care down to bare bones and the rear chassis and arches look mint

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2385.jpg

boot floor looks mint too

IMG_2393.jpg

along with the rest of the floors

IMG_2392.jpg

however the front inner wings and chassis look suspect.....all FOUR of them. Yup - this car has had a front end grafted on at some time in it life. :o

IMG_2390.jpg

IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

Luckily I was thinking of modifying the front chassis rails and inner wings so I could get the car to sit much lower and still have decent suspension travel. Looks like the previous repair is pretty straight so I'll measure up and take it from there.

Heres what the car looks like now

IMG_2391.jpg

Got the rear end removed and took some pics

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

There are going to be quite a few excellent parts that Im most likely going to remove from this car and not reuse. If anyone needs them I will remove them properly, otherwise I'll just cut them out and scrap them. Items such as front jacking points, gearbox tunnel, rear chassis rails, axle, fuel tank etc. I know a guy that ships stuff in from california at very reasonable rates so if your interested let me know.

wow. that shell looks like a beauty...

you just don't get them that solid back in the uk. unless you pay a fortune for an original car. what an excellent basis for your next project.

i remember well when you were selling your last manta before you left the uk, and had too drop the price a bit to get it sold. i was so tempted but was just shelling out for my 16v kadett build.

it was one of my favourite colours with wheel choice that i've ever seen, just looked so right. :thumbup

anyway, i'll be following this build with awe so keep posting any updates. and i totally agree with your engine decision...when in rome eh?

you got to do it v8 now your living over there haha.

i was wondering how common manta 'a's are in america? i know they were big fans of the opel gt, but didn't realise they got so many manta's.

its a long shot, but if you still still have your axle, would you ship to uk?

keep up the progress pics mate. :thumbup

Got the rear end removed and took some pics

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

There are going to be quite a few excellent parts that Im most likely going to remove from this car and not reuse. If anyone needs them I will remove them properly, otherwise I'll just cut them out and scrap them. Items such as front jacking points, gearbox tunnel, rear chassis rails, axle, fuel tank etc. I know a guy that ships stuff in from california at very reasonable rates so if your interested let me know.

Hi, Just emailed you on this.

Best Regards

Mick

i was wondering how common manta 'a's are in america? i know they were big fans of the opel gt, but didn't realise they got so many manta's.

its a long shot, but if you still still have your axle, would you ship to uk?

keep up the progress pics mate. :thumbup

There are a few of them around here and I know a place that breaks cars that are too far gone to be repaired (i.e crash damaged), so can get spare parts for them.

I do still have the axle and could get a price to ship it to the UK from a guy I know that imports hot rod parts by the container. He is very reasonably priced.

I was ohmy.gifrolleyes.gifthumbsup.gif looking to the kit

The manta with a V8 it will be something from another world :P

I love the Manta grey do you gonna paint in that color?

Is a Opel color? I wish to paint mine grey but not the silver one something more dark, maibe granite grey.

Keep the good work and please put more photos :D

Costa

It would even be worth getting a whole car shipped and using a rusty old UK car to convert to RHD. Most of the parts should bolt on (steering column, rack, pedals, dash and wiring loom). It looks like all you would need to do is fabricate a panel for the accelerator cable and brake cylinder, which is a lot easier than welding in new chassis rails and floors.

I've been in the garage for the last few days making templates for new chassis rails etc. If I'm gonna increase the stiffness of the car it looks like I'll have to go for 2x3" rails. I've called a few companies and one might be able to mandrel bend them for me. I want to try and make them so they follow the original floor so there is minimal cutting involved and I want to run the rails from front to back.

Heres a pic of the original template at the bottom and the new proposed chassis at the top

IMG_0005.jpg

In this picture I've overlayed the two so you can see how much bigger the rails are and how they kick up and extra 2.5" in order to enable me to get the superlow stance I'm looking for

IMG_0006.jpg

And heres a picture of the new chassis rail template mocked up in place.

IMG_0008.jpg

Now I just have to work out all the angles and distances etc and get the template emailed off.

Edited by h0tr0dder_uk

• 2 weeks later...

More cutting done.......anyone needs inner rear wheel arches?

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

I cut them out as I'll be getting new inner wheel arches welded a couple of inches further in, along with new rear chassis rails.

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

Now I have a bandsaw I can start making my new pieces and start welding it all back together