Solex Locks

Brown Job

Hi all

About 18 months ago got my car busted up by some scumbag trying to break in (I mean, TRYING - how drunk/incompeptant was he?)

Kind OMOC members suggested Solex universal locks to replace mine to upgrade security. Fitted some original replacement locks as a stopgap.

Just scraped together the dosh to buy these Solex one only to find they are not made any more. BUM.

Anyone got any they are no longer wanting, or know of equivalent locks? Solex cost about £35/set, so I could have got 'em and fitted myself as cash is in distinctly short supply.

Any info appreciated. Can't buy off ebay as I have no computer at home, use cafe.

BJ

Edited by Brown Job

If you've no luck finding any, then go to B+Q and buy a set of their door/window locks that fit into the frame like ordinary ones but the 'key' hole is a circular affair with a circular splined key . These will be easy enough to fit once you have drilled out some fixing holes. Did this on an old Alfasud I had 30 years ago as it was the only way the passenger door would stay shut and attached to the car !!!! :D

Edited by Shuviteer

They are available in the US maybe Nick can find a local supplier? When fitted they effectively convert your lock into a dead lock (if you disconnent the internal locking slide) and the replacement barrel cannot be slide hammered by crooks as a std barrel can.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Solex-Door-Lock-Safety-Set-4-keys-2-cylinder-Anti-Theft_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad5ae6854QQitemZ390132033620QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

also in UK

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-ASTRA-CAVALIER-CORSA-92-95-SOLEX-DOOR-LOCKS_W0QQitemZ140349330555QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item20ad78d47b

Many thanks to all.

Plumster, your offer much appreciated, might need to take you up on that one.

Shuviteer, me old mate, will keep that one on the back burner, still hopeful of getting the real McCoy but "owt's better than nowt".

GTEPete, those are the specific locks for Astras, etc., as far as I can see. Unless Nick knows better?

Solex have supposedly stopped making the Universal type (God knows why as everyone is trying to get them off eBay, there must be a market.)

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Universal type coming up for auction.

BJ

Edited by Brown Job

• 1 month later...

Reeto, got an answer from the guy, see below.

fedex charges approx. $60, with tracking info, usps $25 without tracking. i do not want to be liable for missing shipments.

- k9_alphaprime

Seems a bit steep to me for Fedex, UPS ok @ $25, but no tracking!!!!

Let me know, if you want me to order them I will no problem.

Sam.

Can the doors still be opened from the inside once the Solex locks are locked?

They can on my other car. It depends how they are fitted - if you do away with the linkage, they become a deadlock-type.

I believe the name "Solex" can't be used in the States due to a dispute with the carb. people. The same lock type is called "Sonic Power" over there.

How annoying is that, to find that the Astra type will fitwith a tiny mod, because someone bolder than me went for it!

BJ

So if the doors can still be opened from the inside all it does is force someone to break the glass. In the past I preferred a smashed window to a screw drivered door skin. My point of view for cars like my wife's Kadett C coupe is I would rather have the glass left and repair the skin........... just a thought. I can't shape glass as cheaply as steel.

So if the doors can still be opened from the inside all it does is force someone to break the glass. In the past I preferred a smashed window to a screw drivered door skin. My point of view for cars like my wife's Kadett C coupe is I would rather have the glass left and repair the skin........... just a thought. I can't shape glass as cheaply as steel.

I disagree. It doesn't "force anyone" to do anything. The dirty thieving scumbag *****ers could keep their filthy paws to themselves and walk past my car. You know, the way you and I and the other members walk past cars without wanting to break in and steal the car or indeed anything from the car.

End of righteous prosing. However, I see what you are getting at. It's a risk I prefer to take on rather than have the door crowbarred again (which was what they did, as well as use a screwy on the lock itself). The average petty scumbag is deterred by the look of a superior lock and doesn't bother to start breaking glass to find out if the lock is a deadlock or not. If they really want in, or to steal the car, they'll do it if they are expert enough, no matter what I fit. The aim is to keep out the "free ride home after a night on the booze" type, not the pro.

BJ