Manta A Series V8 Supercharged

Paul Barrett

some pics for y'all...

firstly had to show off my tool cart i knowcked up from well known baking company trolley

100_1395.jpg?t=1263063026

got 2 of these help take the chill off

100_1397.jpg?t=1263063142

lots of work done prior to this sill being tacked on with all the box section and 2 skins underneath,

100_1398.jpg?t=1263063193

A post finished and mostly sealed prob only 20% original stell there! bottom section was tricky but took my time and came out well i think

100_1399.jpg?t=1263063284

bit rotten! no worse than ,most novas ive owned lol

100_1400.jpg?t=1263063429

bit more patching..

100_1401.jpg?t=1263063507

rear corner work, shes quite bad here so had no choice but to cut the lot out

100_1402.jpg?t=1263063563

olly butchering my old van

100_1403.jpg?t=1263063633

inner skin done, this outer tacked on, decided to but weld this part then let the arch panel overlap, so not too many overlpas to deal with

100_1404.jpg?t=1263063690

arch panel fettled then pop riveted on to keep it place

100_1405.jpg?t=1263063776

filler cap blanked off as a new tank (probably be alloy) is being used in the boot

100_1406.jpg?t=1263063833

tacked up and buzzed down

100_1407.jpg?t=1263063885

continuing to remove brittle old underseal and expose anymore tinworm i need to deal with

100_1408.jpg?t=1263063932

Glad to see it's coming on so well. Wish I could say the same for mine. Currently up on axel stands with offside wing off and inside stripped ready to get underneath and cut out all the rust ready ready for welding new sills and jacking points etc. Doing the work myself now with a freind doing the welding for me, longer time span but cheaper! Look forward to seeing more from yours.

Mick

result today! went to see russ TURBO A today and he has been very kind in hooking me up with a new front valance and a wing, this has saved me lots of days labour trying to repair the originals, also seen his collection of awesoem amchinery, i have to say very impressed and if mine ends up like the standard of his ill be more than pleased.

also dropped into the unit to do some more work. finished all the plating up on the inner rear arch ive been working on, so one side is complete as far as welding goes, working my round the rear end now, ive got to remove the outer lower rear panle to repair the inner as its holed through.

as im at the back its handy time as ive tracked now the rear axle setup if settle on, so any fabrication thats needs doing can be addressed now rather than maybe ruining new metal im putting in.

pics of progress, got another afternoon in today got most of the rear valance rebuilt, had to strip it right back and make a new inner and outer! also cut the spare wheel well out as it was holed but dont like the look either, gave me chance start work on other side of car too, the beginnings of the rear corner boxing taking shape, so a good base to weld to, really pleased with the outcome

100_1412.jpg?t=1264014352

100_1413.jpg?t=1264014507

100_1414.jpg?t=1264014534

100_1415.jpg?t=1264014570

aiming for this sort of stance,

100_1417.jpg?t=1264014622

made a start on a piece of rot on the rear pillar below the vent, otherside is fine which is good as its a small tricky repair,

100_1419.jpg?t=1264014704

new wing offered up too, will need very little fettling to be good which is nice for a pattern part,

100_1420.jpg?t=1264014763

Funny you say about a pattern wing. I couldn't get a genuine one to fit at all on my A yet the pattern one was a perfect fit!

That rotary spit thing looks very handy tho. Wish I'd used one, would've made it much easier (as it was I had it on its side tied to the garage wall :D )

Funny you say about a pattern wing. I couldn't get a genuine one to fit at all on my A yet the pattern one was a perfect fit!

That rotary spit thing looks very handy tho. Wish I'd used one, would've made it much easier (as it was I had it on its side tied to the garage wall biggrin.gif )

i did see that in your build thread lol, it o nly cost like 30quid to build lot safer than welding on your back done that too many time snow, so it was time on this project to do things properly and easily, that way too the underside can be coated with stonechip much more efficiently

more progress again today, i thought about buying the repair panel for other rera corner but that would mean waiting a week or so fr it to come from germany, so. i made it myself instead came out well, got most of the weekend to spend on it too so fingers crossed should see most of otherside done too, will update with pics.

also i keep looking at LS1 prices, im so tempted!!

Edited by novashed

coupleof pics

decided to amke other rear corner myself came out well, im pleased anyway, i wont be headhunted for astonmartin or anything lol, but its solid now and good shape

100_1421.jpg?t=1264282494

where i got to today, whilst there had a few visitors, ben borrowed the crane again (comunal crane lol), my bro was up with his sxi mk4 tartging about while i only managed to get one of his locking wheel nuts off!!

bit more tinworm to sort...

100_1422.jpg?t=1264282753

Great work Novashed, your manta is starting to look a piece of arte, the wheels that you gonna put are very beautifull.

Are you making a tracker drifter car or a use street car?

Cheers

Costa

Edited by costasa

got some more done today, had a few visitors too, also a pushbike suspension change lol.

manta wise done some patchwork on floor pan passenger side, remade the end of a box section supportl, no pics im afraid forgot the cam, doh!

ive been let down on a beemer e30 rear end, so still on the pursuit of one really, other ideas are there but would prefer this setup as suits the route i want to take

bmw-e30-rear-suspension.jpg

righty left the house at 5.30 am this morning to pick this bargain up...

100_1423.jpg?t=1264796550

20 quid well happy, ive got it all stripped down (took over an hour!! bloody outer cv's!!) and have started lopping it up and considering my plans as to how it it will mounted, im pretty settled on using the beam and its inner brackets in between the manat original chassis rails and set into the floor with sheet metal floor also seamed in to give it good solid mounting, then the outer brackets on the beam will be utilised ontot the original manta chassi rails, i need to be really careful with it so as not introduce some ridiculous camber angle as all the trailing arm mounts are at angle and not a flat plain, more of that once ive got it there abouts, i was sitting on my little blue chair for nearly 2 hours trying to work out how to mount it as its not as straight forward as i was hoping as i want a tidy looking job too.

i need to do this lot now so im not cutting out new metal work

cheers paul, i think i know where he is based and a friend of mine knows him i believe, i have been getting pointers from a former hotrod builder too. its the problem of trying to keep a stock look and going totally custom hard compromise.

kevin, there are 2 kadetts with e30 back ends that i know and as you say its the camber issue they ahve not dealt with as, on the beemer the arms are not at full compression like they are on the kadett/manta so thats why im going with chopping the setup up and relocating the mounting points to dial out the camber

Have you seen the guy on retro rides forum who fitted an e30 back end to his kadett ?

It could give you a few pointers? it looks like a good conversion apart from the crazy camber

I guess you mean this guy, he's been on Mig Web too.

Kadett Turbo

It's a long read, but he's done lots to the car.

• 2 weeks later...

righty not mucho progress im afraid, been distracted with other things friends/family jobs etc, seeing as i sold the broadspeed spoiler, bit of dosh for the engine build stuff, so purchased these...

24e3bd490a9db0cfe60da2bc8306ed10_image_550x413.jpg

siemens deka 630cc injectors, good for the aim of my build, need a high flow pump now though

picked up this beauty today good price too, should be strong enough and user fitting friendly for my new rear end

Bk3U3QCGkKGrHqEH-DEEssO6IojOBLZ9mTn.jpg?t=1265923740

E28 LSD diff from M535i

it ahs a speed senor pickup which will be useful for the trionic mangement and clocks etc, im hoping the 325 halfshafts will bolt straight on as there seems to a bit of conflicting info on beemer forums, ill just have to see for myself, hopefully tomorrow or definately sat. no one is getting in the way of me working on the manta saturday!!

picked up this beauty today good price too, should be strong enough and user fitting friendly for my new rear end

Bk3U3QCGkKGrHqEH-DEEssO6IojOBLZ9mTn.jpg?t=1265923740

E28 LSD diff from M535i

it ahs a speed senor pickup which will be useful for the trionic mangement and clocks etc, im hoping the 325 halfshafts will bolt straight on as there seems to a bit of conflicting info on beemer forums, ill just have to see for myself, hopefully tomorrow or definately sat. no one is getting in the way of me working on the manta saturday!!

Yes it is a beauty biggrin.gif your Manta will be a devil fish thumbsup.gif

couple of pics, not done much but coul with some ideas too as to how i could dial out the camber from the arms being created, im thinking of making new brackets for the arms with the outer one bringing the arm further away from the chassis thus bringing the top of the wheel out to counteract the neagtive camber, i will need som form of adjustment too, thinking laong the line of elongating the mounting holes and using some form of eccentric bolt, rather like vw golf front strut bolts for adjustinmg camber,

100_1431.jpg?t=1266090536

ive welded on a platform here for outer bracket to sit on, 3mm plate so plenty strong!

100_1432.jpg?t=1266090493

at last some progress today!!

finally squeezed some time on the manta today, welded on the other sill, but had to finish the box section underneath first from when i last left it, had to make another floor plate too wasnt happy with what was ther too pitted with tinworm (as with most of car), sorry no pics forgot the cam, so getting there slowly atmo, mext on list is the arch panel and associated plating up with it, so at least a full days work in that.