Manta A Series V8 Supercharged

Paul Barrett

great work going on with the a series :thumbup nice to see al new metal put back in!

just a shame about the panels coming back warped from the blasters, don't the know you should never blast to long on the same spot on sheet metal and use ground up walnut shell to blast them with? (at least thats what I've been told about blasting bodypanels)

Anyway keep up all the good work and you while have a cracking A series B)

looking good but the bonnet looks like its not worth the filling, its got more ripples than a galaxy. The way filler will shrink on that i cant think it will ever be straight but i might be wrong. i have just got my A series on the road for the boness hill climb and theres nothing cooler.

looking good but the bonnet looks like its not worth the filling, its got more ripples than a galaxy. The way filler will shrink on that i cant think it will ever be straight but i might be wrong. i have just got my A series on the road for the boness hill climb and theres nothing cooler.

more i look at it i think your right, ill try my hardest before it goes to bodyshop

• 4 weeks later...

righty not much to report as been stacked out with work even worked saturday!, got the saab lump on a stand finally to start playing, aslo ordered some sills from germany to help with swifter progress, only 90 quid all in for a pair.

did manage to do this yesterday though, five stiches later reseat my nail and a comedy bandage im home, all bloody day waiting for slot in plastic surgery unit though!! lost a whole days work.

DSC00447.jpg?t=1255982833

DSC00448.jpg?t=1255982883

i have finished to repair work to one wing now, which requires filling etc when on car for paint, made a start on drivers side but is more rotten but shouldnt take as long.

also a new pair of sills have arrived from germany to make life easier im just going to replace as a whole rather than try to use fro patching etc.

got some box steel today aswell for fabricating the rollover jig so ic an safely work on the underside, im not welding on my back again too risky and messy

righty

got the the rollover spits made up for the shell even with my manky hand!, managed to get some box section froma local fabricators yard these should do the job nicely will get the shell on this week with any luck and

DSC00451.jpg?t=1256491851

DSC00452.jpg?t=1256491888

DSC00453.jpg?t=1256491923

used an old flywheel with the ring gear cut off for the job of locking the position whent he shell is tilted, drilled more holes and a tab on the side of the a frame to put a lock pin/bolt in worked quite nicely, just need to weld on the arms for bolting to shell

• 2 weeks later...

started stripping the saab lump down today ready for refresh on gaskets and timing chain and to look at how im goig to reverse the inlet so it faces the slam panel rather than the bulk head, also got a head gasket set today and bolts, need to send the exhaust gasket for flange to be made for upward facing tubular manifold for a larger turbo

DSC00455.jpg?t=1257265679

DSC00456.jpg?t=1257265983

DSC00457.jpg?t=1257266039

Edited by novashed

finished stripping the engine down to the block and give it a once over, and its in very good condition not a lot of wear on timing chain sprockets etc, i will still replace timing parts for peace of mind. bores have no lip whatsover.

i have removed the balancer shafts completly, not sure if i have to blank them off somehow yet.

DSC00459.jpg?t=1257366937

bit more progress, had a job this morning but managed to get a fews hours in.

had to be a tart and getsome paint on the block, make it look nice, dont look to bad even after knocking a whole pot of silver hammerite!!!

DSC00460.jpg?t=1257616722

cleaned up the cam cover and buzzed off the saab writing and 2.3 bit of stealth, satin black btw still wet in pic

DSC00461.jpg?t=1257616928

also sprayed up the underguard only because i had it blasted and dont wish it to rusty again, may not even be used yet

DSC00462.jpg?t=1257616996

crap pic but lobbed it together to start looking at the inlet modding

DSC00463.jpg?t=1257617065

cut the ends off the inlet plenum and just need them welding on, will have to wait though as need to bolt all the alt back on and check clearances

• 4 weeks later...

righty picked up the new timing bits chains, sprockets, guides etc, all new so can build the engine up over the weekend, also gav has come up trumps with the manifold bits which will hopefully be with me for the weekend too so can start mocking up.

been working on the inlet too, put some studs in to get some port matching done and open up slightly and smooth out casting marks

----------------------------------------------------------

some goodies...

t3/4

BfUMJQB2kKGrHqMH-CUErgKLYMVTBLClNNp.jpg?t=1259700710

i have purchased stack adapter to space the turbo off the manifold ive completed (will do pics soon) and enable external wastegate which has been sorted from the wonderful man at JADE motorsport, i was going to use a t25 style turbo but got the bargain turbo so need to adapt it, works out pretty handy in the end. ill have to probably lop off the 38mm wastegate flange from the adapter and weld it on the long face so it projects away from the engine then run tubing to suitable position near turbo and give ebough room for downpipe.

flange for 3" downpipe and exhaust system, im going to gatehr the parts for that gradually

AGP_Flange.jpg

T25-T3_WG_(1).jpg

Edited by novashed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

been a busy xmas holiday, managed to fully repair drivers A pillar, and new sill welded on, repaired all box section at the rear prior to sill being fabbed on, working my round the car now then ill do floor pans and chassis rails, need to get the pics up though.

few pics now ive sorted a digicam out....

100_1389.jpg?t=1261574603

100_1390.jpg?t=1261574740

100_1391.jpg?t=1261574771

100_1392.jpg?t=1261574802

we are so untidy lol

100_1393.jpg?t=1261574840

Hello Novashed,

congratulations for your great work in your manta.

Now i'm to try make a rollover like yours to my manta, i don't have many skills welding but i will try. Can you put some more pictures of your rollover and explain a little how to do one?

Thanks, and greetings from Portugal.

cheers costasa, i will get some pics soon for you. i made it from around 8 metres of stell box section, if you like i can give you all the dimensions when im next in the workshop, you will need some tube for the rotating section, one that will fit into another, i just cut a pice of tube up then welded it around another picec to make it bigger as couldnt find any of suitable diameter.

to hold positon when the caris rotated i used an old flywheel with holes drilled in at various points and a tab welded onto the frame and just use an old screwdriver to lock ino position and hold it whatever angle i want.

took a few to make up, i do have a chop saw too which helps cut the angles quicker and neater

cheers costasa, i will get some pics soon for you. i made it from around 8 metres of stell box section, if you like i can give you all the dimensions when im next in the workshop, you will need some tube for the rotating section, one that will fit into another, i just cut a pice of tube up then welded it around another picec to make it bigger as couldnt find any of suitable diameter.

to hold positon when the caris rotated i used an old flywheel with holes drilled in at various points and a tab welded onto the frame and just use an old screwdriver to lock ino position and hold it whatever angle i want.

took a few to make up, i do have a chop saw too which helps cut the angles quicker and neater

Thanks Novashed,

I will apreciate a lot if you give me some dimensions, and i think that it will be important to others if they want to do a rollover. It was interesting if the forum have a DIY section with tips and schematics to do things in our mantas.

I have more a less 6 meters of steel box section i will buy more, and i will try to find some old flywheel.

Cheers

Costa

righty looks like friday and sat are free this week so should see a lot more progress, also bought a cheap ac/dc tig for some ally fab work. diesel heaters have finally arrived too which willt ake the chill off a bit on the exposed farm unit!!!

new work benches are in too just a few more shelves to be added and there good,

olly my unit mate has also invested in a 200ltr petrol compressor, so im going to make a up a blast cabinet out of the ton of wood we have lying about, which will very usefull.

righty looks like friday and sat are free this week so should see a lot more progress, also bought a cheap ac/dc tig for some ally fab work. diesel heaters have finally arrived too which willt ake the chill off a bit on the exposed farm unit!!!

new work benches are in too just a few more shelves to be added and there good,

olly my unit mate has also invested in a 200ltr petrol compressor, so im going to make a up a blast cabinet out of the ton of wood we have lying about, which will be very usefull

--------------------------------------

been up today tackling the rear corner and arch, cut it all out and starta gain, welded new corner panle on a,d now in process of arch panel, its pop riveted on to keep it tight again original metalwork until its ready for tacking on, then rebuild the inner arch up., i did take pics but left the camera at the unit.

Edited by novashed