Xe Conversion - Carb Clearance Issues?

Nigel'n'Barb

Hi, I have just about got everything I need to do the XE conversion on my GT/E hatch now, except the carbs which I intend to buy soon. However, before I buy the carbs I wanted to know if anyone has fitted twin 45's or 48's on the same conversion (I'm sure someone has) and if so were there any clearance issues with the brake servo and if so how did you overcome the problem?

I will be posting in the "Parts Wanted" section for twin 45's/48's also if anyone has any for sale?

I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

I fitted twin 45 dels on mine many years ago I had to use a foam filter and Im sure I cut the lip of no4 trumpet down and dinked the servo.

You can use the very small trumpets think there around 1'' so as not to cut the lip off but I wanted to use the longer ones.

Your best bet is to trial fit and modd as needed.

use bike carbs ,no clearence problems then

Any particular bike carbs? R1 maybe?

I fitted twin 45 dels on mine many years ago I had to use a foam filter and Im sure I cut the lip of no4 trumpet down and dinked the servo.

You can use the very small trumpets think there around 1'' so as not to cut the lip off but I wanted to use the longer ones.

Your best bet is to trial fit and modd as needed.

That's what I figured, don't really fancy "dinking" the servo though. Trial fit and mod is what I thought would be the case.

Bike carbs take up a lot less room than DCOE's and give better results for a lot less money.

The dcoe's i've sen fitted to XE's all had a clearance issue with the rear trumpet when using the standard manta servo/master cylinder

Quite a few people were swapping to the VW Golf 16v servo/master cylinder which is much more compact and a direct replacement

Unfortunatly i can't remember what years/models its from <_<

Bike carbs take up a lot less room than DCOE's and give better results for a lot less money.

The dcoe's i've sen fitted to XE's all had a clearance issue with the rear trumpet when using the standard manta servo/master cylinder

Quite a few people were swapping to the VW Golf 16v servo/master cylinder which is much more compact and a direct replacement

Unfortunatly i can't remember what years/models its from dry.gif

Thanks for the info - time to google both options then and work out what the best way forward is.

Basically it just says about using the shorter inlet manifold off a caterham XE conversion, as they had clearance issues when doing the conversion in the fist place so shortend the manifold to give clearance.

Well i say conversion i think it was one of the engine options in the Caterham the 2 litre XE with carbs that is.

But you'd have to find one maybe on ebay.

And yes it does seem to be in the members section and you do have to be a paid up member.

Sorry about that.

This carb clearance issue was encountered on the Green Monster, the now deceased Green Exclusive fitted with an XE on Webers.

I solved the problem by taking the servo apart and welding in a recess to clear the last short trumpet,your welds have to be good to avoid air leaks.

This carb clearance issue was encountered on the Green Monster, the now deceased Green Exclusive fitted with an XE on Webers.

I solved the problem by taking the servo apart and welding in a recess to clear the last short trumpet,your welds have to be good to avoid air leaks.

Thanks guys for all your help - problem solved easily in the end. I went to meet paulmanta today and he showed me two solutions actually fitted to cars that he had there, one was to re-locate the servo which looked quite cool, the other was to fit a VW Polo coupe servo which is much smaller (a suggestion already put forward but good to actually see it on a car). I think I'll be fitting the VW servo on my car when I get to that stage as it does look much neater.

Regarding the bike carbs idea, I had already sourced the TV article from another forum and printed it off (thanks very much anyway for your trouble), however I still think I want to stick with the big fat webers (just a bit old school me).

Appreciate all the help and advice, thanks again.

Glad your sorted and on track keep us updated on your progress look forward to reading about it in the near future. thumbsup.gif

Thanks - I will start a wip thread soon detailing the XE conversion and all the other work that will be done including the breaking of the donor car etc, looking forward to getting stuck in.