Project "J"

stradacab

Collected my ultimate model Manta today[:D][:D][:D]

After 10 years in storage it has been entrusted to me for restoration. For me its the ultimate prize, pre-facelift black bumpered car and mega rare.

jdecal.jpg

I would love as much info as I can on this car if anyone knows it from before 1993, and any info on the model in general. I only have the 1981 Manta brochure that devotes one page to it. How many are left now.

Jgiles.jpg

Jgilestrailer.jpg

Many thanks to Giles for letting me have it.

Big Andy couldn't wait to get it to Bristol and see if we could get it going.

jnigeandplugs.jpg

JNigeand.jpg

Fresh battery, and some fresh fuel and she went!! Gotta love those old lumps of pig-iron! I even drove it round the paddock until the rear flex hose burst and the brakes failed!

jniger.jpg

jnigeside.jpg

Jint.jpg

So there it rests until I can solve my problem. I now own the GT/J, a GTE hatch, an Ascona SR and the Manta SR Berlinetta. All are brilliant examples but space, time, my wife and money mean I've got to thin down.

I will never sell the SR Berlinetta of the GT/J. The Ascona is rare but it ain't a Manta and I suppose that I could replace the GTE Hatch if I wanted to in future. I welcome your thoughts!!

Back to the "J"..

Modifications are not on the adgenda-STANDARD is the only way.

I've bought a chin spoiler and I have a two slot cone. Get in touch if you've a black front bumper please. The non-opening, non-tinted rear windows are missing, I don't expect to find these again, so it may have to be a complete body glass change to bronze and openers. As far as I know the trim is unique to the model so I was thinking of trying to find material as close as possible and re-cover a set of Recaro's, thought that would fit in with the GT theme?

Rostyles were standard, ATS classics optional and I've got a set of 5 with the car

Any thoughts, ideas or advice to help me get it original would be welcomed if you know of any GT/J bits please let me know.

Don't expect updates just yet, I'm backed up here and need to create some garage room. Hope to start it in a few months and it won't be rushed.

Maybe Billing '09.......

Forumwheel.jpg

As far as I know, the seats were the standard B ones in black. I should think your best bets to talk to are Charlie (Welder), Al (algtj), Ian (omocsec) and also may well be worth talking to Nat or Callum (mantastic).

omoc 5660,Cambridge & The Fens Area Rep & keeper of the A register.

Glad you got back ok with it.

Look foward to seeing it restored to its former glory again one day.

They only came in 3 colours: Pine Green, yellow and orange. Seen green ones and a yellow one but never an orange one.

Would be interesting to know how many are actually left,bet you could count them on both hands.

I've got one! but its a 400r now. The only original bits I've got are the red/pink rear lights but they're not in the best of nick. Mine was yellow originally with the black stripes like algtj's. Was the GT/E style lettering/logo original? Mine was more like the bladerunner logo if you know what I mean.

PB070091.jpg

Cheers and good luck with it!

signature.jpg

Pass me the gun and ask me again....

OMOC 6095

The lettering on mine is more like the later GTE Decals, I wonder if yours is an earlier car, someone said they did GT/J as as a limited edition before it was added to the model range. I'd love to find out so I can get it stickered correctly

Forumwheel.jpg

James i have the original sales material and a 1981 Autocar test on the GTJ if you need to know anything!

gtj006.jpg

It's pitched against the Fiat Mirafiori, Crapri 2.0s, Mazda Montrose, Renault Fuego TX, VW Scirocco GLi

BTW the lettering is the Bladerunner type on the W reg car in the test!

Good luck and hope to see the GTJ when I'm in Bristol soon!

billing07070a.jpg

Thanks to James for the article, he's going to photocopy it and post it. Brilliant!

The one in the article has blade runner decals too so my early/late graphic theory seems wrong. The rear doesn't look like it has had paint but I notice the rear infill is not painted matt black too?

Forumwheel.jpg

Hi James

When you get around to getting paint for it, it is listed as Vauxhall pine green.

My old GT/J which James now has is exactly the same as Ian Goacher's GT/J which has been at Billing a few times.

Is it still around?

He may be able to help you out with spares where abouts and info as he restored his one himself.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Fascinating to see another one like ours, James. You're right, it's weird that two turn up in the same month.

Hope you can put up more pics when the restoration starts. Looking forward to this one, for obvious reasons!

1900SR: Yes, interior for this limited edition was black - at least ours is (please excuse cobwebs )

Mantaman Hants: re the 3 available colours, this caught me out, as this one (below) is same Lim. Ed. as James's but isn't pine, yellow or orange! It foxed me, but ours is an import so I assume there were other colours on the Continent. I don't have the correct colour name for it.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The lettering on mine is more like the later GTE Decals, I wonder if yours is an earlier car, someone said they did GT/J as as a limited edition before it was added to the model range. I'd love to find out so I can get it stickered correctly

It looks like the lettering on your car has been taken from the GT/J hatch, which was the original entry level facelifted car (B2).

• 6 months later...

I've been collecting parts for this although It hasn't had any attention since it was laid up at my mates place.

I've got the black bumpers now, indicator units, nose-cone trim, a set of steel wheels if I need them and a set of ATS classics. The two slot cone is in the loft with the chin spoiler and I have a set of black velour seats (SR trim) that will go in and are as near as I'm gonna get to original. The sunroof catch is broken so I've bought another Webasto top-slider like I had on the silver GTE.

I have two new wings, sills, rear lower corners and wheel arches too.

I just need the non opening clear glass windows that come up from time to time on ebay.de.

I think I've decided to change the colour to polar white and I was considering some tiny cosmetic mods by way of Englemans and a period black irmscher spoiler to complete the look.

I think it's going to be 2009 before I get on this cause I need to finish the Ascona and I may have a welding project for another club member to keep me busy for a couple of months!

• 2 years later...

I think it's going to be 2009 before I get on this cause I need to finish the Ascona and I may have a welding project for another club member to keep me busy for a couple of months!

Hmmm, that didn't turn out quite as planned then, the Ascona got done after the "little welding job" and what year is it now? Oh yes, 2011. Damn-you Darren Williams!

We are getting very close. I have had a couple of other cars I have bought for fun before starting this, but it's just getting pushed back and back- It's time!

The Strada is on eBay and ends tomorrow (hopefully the buyer will actually go throught with the deal this time, Grrrr! :angry: ) The Cavalier GLS is sold and hopefully being collected this week too. My drive doesn't look like a scrapyard and there is a garage ready and waiting for a GT/J restoration.

When it gets here first job is to actually fully assess the car. I bought it sight unseeen and have never even ventured beneath it properly. Although dry stored for a number of years the car was well used and had been the subject of MOT patching and repairs back in the day. It's tatty but I don't think it is too far gone to be unsalvageable, but I just hope it isn't too bad. It has been stood on gravel under a cover outside now for, what, three years, so I also hope it hasn't deteriorated too badly since I last saw it.

I am pretty sure that I will change the colour to Polar White. White is "back in" and will show better with the contrast between black black bumpers, rear panel, decals etc. I also have a period correct Irmscher boot spoiler that will be very in keeping with it.

I will keep you update with progress on this rare model...

nice car. just read the lot to catch up on this. i think you should paint it a ruby colour to match the number plate lol RBY or you could just call her ruby lol nice car to. i was talking to a chap who had earlyer model of manta locked up in a contaner he took it to bits to fix her up years ago but the shell was perfect and thats how she stayed lol. i think he said it was made in 1977 or 78 (i think) but he said it was a 1.8. thought about getting her as she was not far from me but. it would have been a crime as i dont have anywhere to keep it.

Go for the white, so u could have a manta coupe in both the best colours and model combo, love those early 80s black bumper mantas!

! tried to buy an orange w reg gtj off the ebay but got outbid in the last second, funny how it ended back on twice with different sellers,