Stradacabs GTE!

stradacab

About 4 weeks ago I bought a project car and thought I would post it.

I'm still not sure why I bought it because I didn't think I liked post-facelift B's but I've recently been admiring a club members 1.8 exclusive hatch at local meets , saw the GTE advertised, looked at it, dismissed it, called the guy three weeks later (he still had it)and went round that afternoon and picked it up.

Gte1resi.jpg

Its been hit down this side and the door and wing is holed. Both sills have been plated (badly)

Gte3res.jpg

The rear corner is rusted, it needs a wheel arch this door has rotted out at the bottom completely and this wing is holed too. Its been bumped in the back and the sunroof is knacked.

BUT, on the plus side, its a one-owner car, only 75k the inside is superb and it has tax and MOT til Jan. I've had great fun smoking it around this month! I've discovered that the hatch is well-practical and the fuel injection really smooths out the old CIH.

If I do the panels and welding, get both sides painted and replace the sunroof I'm gonna have a cracking car.

I've already started the work, I'll get some photos up this week

Forumwheel.jpg

Progress report. Replaced both doors with a s/h set from a nice man at Billing.

gtedrns.jpg

Cut out that nasty rot on the arch and lower corner

archcut.jpg

Cut off the dodgy old plates and replaced the back of the sill

sill.jpg

Welded the arch in

archtacked.jpg

And just a rough skim of filler so I can slap on a bit of primer so I can still drive it around!

gtefilledarch.jpg

I'm ready to start on the other side now but the arch and rear lower are near perfect. It only needs the old plate on the sill cutting out and replacing with good metal so I should get this done at the weekend.

Got to collect my wings next and see what work waits at the front.

Forumwheel.jpg

That's why I bought it, it's surprisingly good where it counts.

Its 1984 so I think rust isn't as big an issue as some of the later ones. Despite the cosmetics its surprisingly solid on the legs and floor.

When its finished and pumped full of Waxoyl its gonna stay that way too!

Forumwheel.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a classic example of MOT welding. Okay, you've only paid £45 for a plate to get a ticket on it, but just cause you cant see it doesn't mean the rust is gone!

vhtsillhole.jpg

So each year`there's a bigger and bigger hole to be plated until you've run out of car to weld to!

Many thanks to Darren aka Devil Fish, top club member and area rep! A set of above average s/h wings that just need a bit of love to find their way on to the car this week.

vhtwimgs.jpg

Only a few little holes and a whole load of surface rust to grind off and anti-rust paint then underseal.

vhtwingoff.jpg

Oh, and I'm going to have to fit repeaters, they're later wings and I can't be bothered to weld up the holes!! Where do they wire from?

Forumwheel.jpg

Fitted the front n/s wing this week, but not before some welding. When I ground it all off some of it was a bit too thin for my liking. I'm doing this for pleasure(!) and there's no point in bodging it so I did the footwell box, I've already done this on my SR so its becoming familiar territory now, in fact I've kept the cardboard templates (well you never know!)

The car is now 3 colours but at least its all real metal.

gtewing.jpg

This side is going to be a bit more work. I've ordered a wing mount rail. The B-pillar and footwell have been patched before so its extra rot to cut out= bigger holes. Doesn't look too bad, but you know what's under that rubber underseal don't you?

GTEos.jpg

I've entered the car in the Tredegar House show on the 16th September. There's nothing like a deadline to focus the mind!

Forumwheel.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm scorching through this one!

I thought I'd grown too old for late nights in the garage, mig burns, filth in my eyes and hair and cuts on my hands but I'm loving every minute of it.

I've done the footwell on this side and bought a replacement wing rail. For £11 it didn't seem worth the bother of cobbling up plates. I'm quite proud cause I've never done one before but after taking measurements from the ground I've got it in and after a rough fit up of the wing it seems to line up well.

I'm gonna get it built up and clean for Tredegar House now and get on with the final push after the 16th.

The jacking point on this side is holed and the floor has been plated before so this is going to be the biggest job.

Then it will be time to replace the sunroof.

railoff.jpg

railin3.jpg

railpaint.jpg

Forumwheel.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Been busy this week. Last big push after the Tredegar House show, a bit more that I thought once it was pulled apart, but it is a Manta!

Thanks to Robbie who's chopped out a secondhand jacking point, hopefully be here next week.

floor1.jpg

floor2.jpg

But the legs are good!!

Forumwheel.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hacked off, I've ground to a grinding halt. Apart from doing a tiny patch behind the servo, I'm stuck waiting for this f*@!ing jacking point. I hope it will be in stock this week but I hate not making progress.

Its doing my melon in!

Forumwheel.jpg

Calm down James. I've been waiting 4 years for a magic rustaway fairy to come into stock. I'm still waiting

OMOC #5826..... 1974 Renault 17 Gordini, 1979 SRB coupe - 'interesting project', 1981 SRB coupe - sell or swap?, 1983 Renault 5 Gordini turbo, 1984 Renault 5 Le Car 2 Turbo 1985 Renault 4 Gordini Turbo, 1993 Senator 24v for sale, 1994 Senator 24v

Great news, SSVG now have jacking points in stock. Unfortunately as it's a new line, it's not showing on their distributors computers yet. Should be on tommorow, then I can get one and I can get up to some red hot welding action by the end of the week....

Then the GTE coupe gets collected on Saturday and I'll have some dosh to get her painted.

Its still taxed and MOT'd til Jan so maybe I'll get some '07 miles out of it yet!

Forumwheel.jpg

James/Chris,i've been waiting 10 f'in years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to get mine done,and if it wasn't for Clive (opel 2000) i probably would of had to wait another 10 lol.

Paul Ansell omoc 5963 (Erdington Birmingham) 10 year manta project - NEARLY DONE!!