My Manta GTE Project

Well, the shell came from Mick Maher and the original car came, you will laugh at this, went to view a house didnt buy the house but bought an original one owner Manta GTE hatchback that had been sitting in the guys garge for 3 years. Much to the disgust of the then wife bought the car but not the house. Well the car got transported back to Essex to friends gargae to be put on the road. Two weeks of work and hey presto she was on the road and running as swet as a nut. Kept the car gargage and just used her at weekends and sunny days out. well with all Manta's the old rot had got into the chasis rail. Then up poped Mick Maher new HB shell. So bought it of Mick and various other bits and sent the new shell and the GTE to Barry's again this time for a complete rebuild. well that was almost 2 years ago. The engine went off to "Engine Advantages" in Whitham. Well £3 grand later and shiney new fast Engine was ready for collection. All the new bits and new panels came from the Web searches, E-Bay and Clive Armstrong gave me serious amounts of help here. Clive has also mamaged to make me loads of bits that will make this car look truly spectular when it is finished.

The front and rear suspension has been stripped and powder coated, new roof lining and Carpets came from Germany, new springs and shocks came from a local supplier, who also supplied all the new suspension Poly bushes. Vented front Disks with Volvo 4 pot calipers, and bless Clive he found me a new rear disk brake conversion kit.

Pics to follow shortly

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is estimated that it should deliver about 150 - 160BHP at the rear wheel, which from a CIH engine is pritty good. Work is still in progress having a bit of grief with fitting the LSD at the moment. Have got Barry et al working flat out to get it ready for billing. So work is very much in progress.

Oh yes! The Billing rush, I'm in the same boat myself. I love seeing a lot of money being spent on hatches, although I prefer them, most recognise the coupe as being 'a' manta and the hatch being the variant (not the VW type[:o)]) Tuning an original manta engine again is nice to see, 160 horses should surprise the occasional red topped car once you're on the road [;)] If you have too much trouble with the sort after LSD just use an 1800 ratio one for the accelaration benifit...

....actually, don't![:D]

Looking forward to the pics and seeing the car at Billing!

banner.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/rick_manta

Ah am saving the pennies to put in new throtle bodies and injectors and do a remap at the same time, another £3K cost next year. Only major thing that wont be done before billing is re doing the front and rear seats in half leather with leather door cards etc. Then need to put air con in. The problem is knowing when to stop....... or just keep going.....[:D]. One day i might actually stop unlikely though LOL.

Have asked Clive to post some pictures of the shell and work which has been done. The pictures are about 2 months old, will have to take some more when i am next back in essex.

Had a chill through my spine seeing my old (well new) hatchback shell being reborn sometimes kicking myself for letting it go but at the time was selling the house which never happened in the end we stayed put.. sooooooooo looking forward to seeing it again [:D]

OMOC 1133 MIDLANDS AREA REP (AGAIN!!)

WITH 2X 24V HATCH,S

Hi Mick,

Will drive it up to u so you can have a look at the finished product. It will be at Hayward and Scott next week haveing a manifold and exhaust system made. Then it will go to Engine advantages to have the engine set up on the rolling road, so will be able to get some true performance figures. Then it can be MOT'd and will finally be on the road I hope. Just in time for billing.

The cost so far runs to about £7k ish and still going strong on the spending side. Just want to get it on the road for the summer. Next year will be new trottle bodies. "Anybody got a set for sale? and have the front and rear seats door cards front and rear trimmed in Leather.

It will be one of a kind..... i hope

• 2 months later...

I know I go on about them too much, but if ever a car deserved some front wheelarch liners and a good helping of Bilt Hamber's finest rust preventative products, specifically Dynax S50, this is the one.

I'm finding this topic fascinating.

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

quote:Joe,

What is Dynax S50? where do you get it from?

As to wheel are liners where do you get these from ?

id="quote">id="quote">

Oh NO, you should never ask Joe those 2 questions at the one time. There'll be anout a 500 line post along soon[:D][:D][:D][:D].

Excellent work on the car there, loads still to do, not only is it nice to see someone doing a CIH up but its also nice to see that standard of work on a hatch, mainly with that level of rebuild you see a 400r appearing.

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

e-mail : mark_gunning@yahoo.co.uk

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

Ah Gunman,

Have to say it is not me doing the work, i'm paying for it to be done, and loads still to do, Leather interior, (front & rear seats, rear seats, doorcards). Also still hunting those alusive air con parts. Have had a huge amount of help from Clive, Nick, Paul, Andy to name just a few.

Will be completed soon so i can drive it this year and then over the winter will complete the above.

This will be one of a kind.

Looking forward to Joe' reply [:D]

quote:Originally posted by 2908642343

Have to say it is not me doing the work, i'm paying for it to be done

id="quote">id="quote">

So that's not your Maserati Indy in the background then?

I'll try to keep this brief to avoid too much hilarity amongst the regulars [;)]:

Dynax S50 is a rust preventing fluid that is used in a similar way to Waxoyl, except it actually works somewhat better:

http://www.bilthamber.com

Wheelarch liners should be available from here:

http://www.lokari.de/en/test.php3?selec ... ion=search

I've a set on my coupé, they fit in about five minutes and are absolutely brilliant if you don't want the whole front end to get battered by everything lying on the road and then go rusty. My 1985 hatch also has a set fitted from an unknown maker, probably from new, and its front end is in remarkable condition as a result.

The BH site has been down for a few days but they advertise in most of the classic car type magazines so you should be able to find them in there.

Not that long was it![8D]

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

Joe,

http://www.bilthamber.com site is up and running, i see you have another post runnimg on Bilthamber, are you still trying to put an order together? If not let me no, as will go and get some and try it out.

As to the wheel arch liners, had a look on the site and am confused. What ones are for the Manta Gte Hatchback?

Let me no.

quote:Originally posted by 2908642343

Have to say not my Maserati Indy in the background, it belongs to Paul a friend of mine. He has loads to do to it as it is in a poor state.

id="quote">id="quote">

A rustier car than a Manta? Surely not![;)]

Ah, I'm glad BH are back up. They were still down when I posted my last note. I'm just gauging interest in a joint order from BH at the moment. If enough people want to buy stuff, it will get us 20% off, but I've a feeling it may be some time, so I'd just go ahead and get yours if you want it soon.

The liners you want are these ones:

Opel Manta B 76-87 130.00 008B/L / 008B/R

They're all the same from 1976 to 1987, hatch or coupé.

Last time I bought some, another chap called Bernd Bannier sold them. He seems to have stopped doing them now, so I'll be interested to hear how you get on with Lokari.

Cheers,

Joe.

I actually had a lucky escape with arch liners, I sold a set at billing, but its OK Joe, dont worry, I bought them back a week later[:D].

What wheels are you going to use and are you lowering the car? Reason I bought them back was the guy I sold to has a 7" rim and a 60mm drop and they fouled[:(].

I have a 7" rim and a 40mm drop so fingers crossed[8D].

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

e-mail : mark_gunning@yahoo.co.uk

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817